Pattaya to Chiang Mai, bus vs train

Hal65

I assume the best bus option is to head to BKK, then take a bus from Mo Chit or another terminal.

Not sure about trains. I know there are tracks on the East side, I think I might be able to board in Pattaya and go to Chiang mai.

What is the best option in your opinions?

From past experience the bus will be more crowded and less roomy. But perhaps faster. I hear there are overnight options and if a sleeper cabin is available, that would move me towards the train.

PS: Plane options are excluded

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

From past experience the bus will be more crowded and less roomy.

I have not done this for years, but years ago they had VIP busses w/big big business class type chairs that even had massage functions built in... and not too expensive.. and stewardesses serving soft drinks and snacks... not too many stops... 

22 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Not sure about trains. I know there are tracks on the East side, I think I might be able to board in Pattaya and go to Chiang mai.

You can't go all the way without changing (at Bangkok) and the train from Pattaya (~4 hours to Bangkok) arrives just after the best sleeper train departs.  The next train is OK but older and it shows it.

Overnight bus from Nakhonchaiair (book at their depot on Sukhumvit southbound near Pattaya Klang) is an option but even the First Class Bus doesn't have a bed, although if you get one of the single seats on one side at least you don't have a neighbour to worry about.

If your using a hotel at either end, any overnight option is a pain as they don't fit in with check-in and check-out times, although you can work round this.

• Like 2