Foreign ex-pat riding a bicycle dies after being hit by a pickup truck driver in the Pattaya area

webfact

32519-696x392.jpg

PHOTO: Amphon Sangkaeo / 77kaoded

By Goong Nang(GN)

Banglamung/Pattaya – A foreign bicycle rider, believed to be a local ex-pat, has been pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a pickup truck driver in the Banglamung area this morning.

Police and emergency responders were notified of the accident on Number 331 Road (Sattahip – Korat) in the Huayyai sub-district before noon today (February 21st).

Emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the foreign man lying unconscious on the road. He was later, despite the best efforts of first responders, pronounced dead at the scene. His heavily damaged bicycle was lying nearby and was later taken as evidence by Banglamung police.

The foreign man, who appeared to be in his late 60’s or early 70’s, was not fully identified by law enforcement, only releasing partial information. However, The Pattaya News is witholding his name pending embassy and family notification.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/21/foreign-ex-pat-riding-a-bicycle-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-pickup-truck-driver-in-the-pattaya-area/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 8

The driver was later identified as Mr. Samreang Unan, age not given. He told police, “I was in the right lane. There was a truck in the left lane. The bicycle rider changed his own direction suddenly and I was unable to avoid the collision.”

So, was the cyclist trying to avoid a threatening behind truck too ? I can't see a cyclist swerving out into the right lane with a truck behind him

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Without knowing the full facts of the incident?

Yet the driver has made a statement, and it only indicates that the rider changed his direction, not a speed of the driver that hit him nor how far ahead the bicycle rider was ahead when he changed direction, which my supposition would say was into the lane completely.  31 years as a Traffic investigator lends to my supposition.  I would want to see where the damage on the truck that hit him was located.  Impact damage tells a pretty good story, from looking at the bicycle it was a horrific impact. From the picture it looks to be a direct rear impact that folded the bike up.

From the article

"The driver was later identified as Mr. Samreang Unan, age not given. He told police, “I was in the right lane. There was a truck in the left lane. The bicycle rider changed his own direction suddenly and I was unable to avoid the collision.”

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

So, was the cyclist trying to avoid a threatening behind truck too ? I can't see a cyclist swerving out into the right lane with a truck behind him

Eh? My take on reading this was pickup driver was overtaking the truck in right side lane of road and did a head on with cyclist going other way.

44 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

The standard of driving here in Thailand is simply appalling and nothing ever changes. How many Thais would pass a driving test in Europe or North America.

Correct. The simple fact is there are way too many morons on these roads who are not capable or qualified to be driving a road vehicle. They wouldn't last 5 minutes on roads in my country. They'd get nicked by the police, who actually do police work and enforce the law, or beaten up in a road rage incident for driving like a retard,

• Like 1