Are we now feeling the effects of Ukraine's situation in Asia?

webfact

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The elephant in the room is if China decides to play copycat with Taiwan. The U.S. won't/can't get directly involved in Ukraine but arguably has an obligation to defend Taiwan. This has the makings of a potential WW3. Obviously hopefully not.

If the  proverbial **** does hit the fan, China will try to expand. I wonder if North Korea, would feel emboldened as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Au contraire Thailand may be a good place to ride out any global instability.

Thailand is definitely not a place to ride this out for people on fixed income like state pensions. Russia is one of the biggest mineral and food exporters, if the price of oil and wheat continues to climb, higher inflation may follow.

If the pensions are not indexed appropriately the teeraks may eventually boot out the incumbents and look for better deal.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BE88 said:

If all international trade comes to a halt due to this war in Europe, I will have to resign myself to eating only (mama) every day, it would be good to have a good supply.

Yep, better to stockpile along with toilet rolls, unless you still got a larder full from early 2020. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Thailand is definitely not a place to ride this out for people on fixed income like state pensions. Russia is one of the biggest mineral and food exporters, if the price of oil and wheat continues to climb, higher inflation may follow.

If the pensions are not indexed appropriately the teeraks may eventually boot out the incumbents and look for better deal.

And who might give them a better deal?  Chinese farangs?  Russian farangs?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

In the short term Russia will win but as time goes by more and more countries will be against Russia for invading Ukraine. No one country can stand alone in this world today, just look at Chine losing more and more friends.

I don't buy that. China has plenty of friends now. Russia doesn't. But Russia has made a deal with China and that's ominous for the west and democracies.

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts based on the OP, and subsequent diversions..

- I expect little impact here in Thailand from the Ukraine crisis. Maybe some tourist visit impacts, gas prices, minor supply chain issues for a few products. I'm more depressed by the thought of not having as many scantily clad Russian bikini babes about.

- Fair and interesting read on US, NATO, and Russian thinking about NATO post cold war expansion. 

https://www.vox.com/22900113/nato-ukraine-russia-crisis-clinton-expansion

- China is bifurcated about Ukraine. On the one hand it wants to try and support Russia (its new friend) BUT instability is not in its economic interests and territorial integrity is central to its thinking. Creating and declaring "independent" provinces in the Ukraine can be seen as treasonous if the declaration was applied to Taiwan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

And who might give them a better deal?  Chinese farangs?  Russian farangs?

People from countries with substantial pensions which get properly indexed...and people with substantial investment income which rises with the inflation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The elephant in the room is if China decides to play copycat with Taiwan. The U.S. won't/can't get directly involved in Ukraine but arguably has an obligation to defend Taiwan. This has the makings of a potential WW3. Obviously hopefully not.

I've read on military websites that Taiwan was more than able to defend itself though.

• Like 1