Top 3 bases in Thailand

Sparktrader

For that kind of low room price, best to inquire at the local farang bar like the Nong Khai place I mentioned and try to hook up a homestay. They'll send Mama down the road and give you her bed.

428 baht a night post inflation will be a little tight for even a hostel bunk bed.

Pakse makes Mukhadan look like Times Square.

4000 Islands -pack a bong and a good book. Dating opportunities on this leg of your trip will be zero.

Not that pleasant a bus ride between Siem Reap and 4000 Island, but Kep is worth a day.

Famous for black pepper. Really nice black pepper, btw.

Maybe pack along two books. Thick ones.

I love how RedCat big upped Khamphaeng Phet as a night life destination. On your itinerary, that, even more than Pakse, would be the ultimate "why am I here?" head scratcher. Truly, your most absurd pick to date.

At least in the 4000 Islands you might get lucky with some oldie Oz backpacker, but isn't that what you're fleeing? Why not just stay home and date Kath and Kim?

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I love how RedCat big upped Khamphaeng Phet as a night life destination. On your itinerary, that, even more than Pakse, would be the ultimate "why am I here?" head scratcher. Truly, your most absurd pick to date.

At least in the 4000 Islands you might get lucky with some oldie Oz backpacker, but isn't that what you're fleeing? Why not just stay home and date Kath and Kim?

2 or 3 people talked up Kampaeng phet

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Ok i got 25 days. What would u do???

Scenary

Women

Food

Interesting stuff

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Yeah, you sound like a guy who likes to commune placidly with an old stone Buddha by the hour.

For a ro-mance tour, sticking with mid-sized, less moribund post covid places seems obvious.

I dont want to bang all day. Want something to remember. I can bang sexy things at home

I thought your 25 day plan was rent a car and toss out low ball offers to massage women in various economically depressed nowheresvilles.

That would be a great movie. Hopefully, Pauly Shore would come out retirement to play you.

The problem with "undiscovered" Thailand is that it remains undiscovered because there's not much there for a non-local to do beyond eat some noodles and poke around in an amulet shop.

Edited by LaosLover

I lived close to Ubon, Mukdahan and Nakon etc but I preferred weekends in Khon Kaen. It is the capitol of Issan with a great nightlife!

I would suggest Khon Kaen, Udon, Nong Khai then Vientiane.  There is now a Chinese fast train from Vientiane to Luang Prabang.

Edited by LosLobo

Just now, LaosLover said:

I thought your 25 day plan was rent a car and toss out low ball offers to massage women in nowheresville.

That would be a great movie. Hopefully, Pauly Shore would come out retirement to play you.

The problem with "undiscovered" Thailand is that it remains undiscovered because there's not much there for a non-local to do beyond eat some noodles and poke around in an amulet shop.

Open to ideas. May bus it. I speak Thai. Can talk to locals.

Just now, LosLobo said:

I lived close to Ubon, Mukdahan and Nakon  etc but I preferred weekends in  Khon Kaen.

I would suggest Khon Kaen, Udon, Nong Khai then Vientiane.  There is now a Chinese fast train from Vientiane to Luang Prabang.

Ok thanks

More nightlife anyhow. KK food mkts look good. One guy in mukdahan said kk was good for uni girls

Vientiane does have a decent freelancer disco scene. Great croissants too. Of the good list above, I'd put Vientiane as the winner.

He's right: go to towns big enough to have a university. At least.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Vientiane does have a decent freelancer disco scene. Great croissants too. Of the good list above, I'd put Vientiane as the winner.

Ok plus train to LP didnt know rhey built it yet. Sounds good im.excited

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Bor Bpen Yang and Don Chan  in Vientiane bring fond memories. ???? Luang Prabang is a must!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Croissant breakie

Crumpet at night

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Vientiane does have a decent freelancer disco scene

Freelance scene, really?

Before I visited Laos (Luang Prabang) a few years ago I was told Laos women were strictly off-limits unless you agreed to marry them, and heard stories of this 'rule' being forcibly imposed by the locals. So basically, guys who had indulged in a bit of nooky were forced to marry the girl. 

Is this just an old wives tale? 

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

Freelance scene, really?

Before I visited Laos (Luang Prabang) a few years ago I was told Laos women were strictly off-limits unless you agreed to marry them, and heard stories of this 'rule' being forcibly imposed by the locals. So basically, guys who had indulged in a bit of nooky were forced to marry the girl. 

Is this just an old wives tale? 

Laws in sea are selective i think.