Top 3 bases in Thailand

Sparktrader

Up until the aughts, Laos was still fairly commie-puritanical, but you will see freelancers openly plying their sordid trade in its few disco's, even in Hilltribe-land. The Chinese now view them as wife-able, so get ready to compete on price.

Most of the academics who wrote the first wave of Lao scholarly books had long-running relationships with upper-tier Lao women without government harassment, and that would have been when it was so-called impossible. It's mainly on the books for show, like the American Senate demanding that French fries be called Freedom Fries.

Talking to a couple of hundred people about it, I never heard of anyone even being fined about it. A few Lonely Planet recco'd hotels have signs up saying you can't bring a woman up to your room, so that would indicate that a scene does exist at levels worthy enough to print up a sign about. 

Spark-man, I for one look forward to hearing about the fantastic opportunities to meet women at rural waterfalls. This sounds like the painting Gaughan forgot to paint. May just be a sole fat Mama on offer doling out some 30 baht soup from a kettle on the weekends, tho.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Up until the aughts, Laos was still fairly commie-puritanical, but you will see freelancers openly plying their sordid trade in its few disco's, even in Hilltribe-land. The Chinese now view them as wife-able, so get ready to compete on price.

Most of the academics who wrote the first wave of Lao scholarly books had long-running relationships with upper-tier Lao women without government harassment, and that would have been when it was so-called impossible. It's mainly on the books for show, like the American Senate demanding that French fries be called Freedom Fries.

Talking to a couple of hundred people about it, I never heard of anyone even being fined about it. A few Lonely Planet recco'd hotels have signs up saying you can't bring a woman up to your room, so that would indicate that a scene does exist at levels worthy enough to print up a sign about. 

Spark-man, I for one look forward to hearing about the fantastic opportunities to meet women at rural waterfalls. This sounds like the painting Gaughan forgot to paint. May just be a sole fat Mama on offer doling out some 30 baht soup from a kettle on the weekends, tho.

Just as sex work is illegal in Thailand it is also illegal in Lao. If one is concerned you can always rent a Thai travel buddy, as Thais with no passport can get a border pass for a few days. 

Funny you should mention  meeting women at rural waterfalls, I did  actually observe a lady showering naked at a waterfall , Gauguin painting actually was in my mind's eye!

Edited by LosLobo

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Just as sex work is illegal in Thailand it is also illegal in Lao. If one is concerned you can always rent a Thai travel buddy, as Thais with no passport can get a border pass for a few days. 

Funny you should mention  meeting women at rural waterfalls, it was my luck to observe a lady showering naked at a waterfall , Gauguin painting was also in my mind's eye!

No visa for laos for thais. Maybe i do that. Pickup kk go lp. She pays.

Some of the most inept ganja salesmen on earth at the Luang Prubang waterfall might have a sister to introduce him to. Luck is exactly the word for encountering a naked Thai woman in the wild for free. 

She pays and brings along the Olsen Twins for an orgy too, right?

If it's still open, That Dam bar (near the That Dam Stupa) is my fave restaurant in Vt. Joe Cumming's too.

Duck Laarb. I dream about it. 

The part of Vt. that a tourist would inhabit is basically 4 streets. 6 if you're willing to make the effort to go to the That Dam Bar.

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

She pays and brings along the Olsen Twins for an orgy too, right?

If it's still open, That Dam bar (near the That Dam Stupa) is my fave restaurant in Vt. Joe Cumming's too.

Duck Laarb. I dream about it. 

The part of Vt. that a tourist would inhabit is basically 4 streets. 6 if you're willing to make the effort to go to the That Dam Bar.

Olsen? No idea

I will try massage girls. At very least get a good massage. Try shops and find one that has passport and decent face.

17 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

No visa for laos for thais. Maybe i do that. Pickup kk go lp. She pays.

Bad news is that border pass is restricted to only local Vientiane province not LP. Personally I would not worry about what you hear about "meeting" Lao women, I have never known it being problematic.

Edited by LosLobo

18 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I stayed in LP because I wanted to visit the Kuang Si Falls. Didn't see anything resembling a disco in LP, in fact everything in town was tame, and closed by about 11pm I think. 

But it was a lovely peaceful place, and Kuang Si is breathtaking (I geek out on nature treks). I'll never forget the sound of the bell ringing monks walking the streets in the early morning.

Going to LP was my calm between the storms and I loved it. 

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 2

That nightclub is a 10 minute walk from Joma Coffee Shop, nearing the end of the main drag. Some great restaurants, bars, and eccentric teak houses down that way too.

One place offered live Lao classical musicians and dancers in a gorgeous restaurant set around a lagoon. Catty corner to the nightclub.  And it was for locals, not tourists. They were all government worker doing it as a hobby. 

I hope Luang Prubang ends like New Orleans where they kill it a thousand times and yet it still lives and breathes its culture. Because it's such an important religious/animist site, it may well succeed. It may dodge becoming Hoi An II.

When you consider how penniless Laos is and compromised by China, they do a lot right with their tourism. Long may that run.

Edited by LaosLover

12 hours ago, LaosLover said:

That nightclub is a 10 minute walk from Joma Coffee Shop, nearing the end of the main drag. Some great restaurants, bars, and eccentric teak houses down that way too.

One place offered live Lao classical musicians and dancers in a gorgeous restaurant set around a lagoon. Catty corner to the nightclub.  And it was for locals, not tourists. They were all government worker doing it as a hobby. 

I hope Luang Prubang ends like New Orleans where they kill it a thousand times and yet it still lives and breathes its culture. Because it's such an important religious/animist site, it may well succeed. It may dodge becoming Hoi An II.

When you consider how penniless Laos is and compromised by China, they do a lot right with their tourism. Long may that run.

I was lucky to go to Luang Prabang almost 20 years ago before it was overly popular as a tourist destination. It was amazing!

On 2/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, LaosLover said:

Astonished to see that the venerable Nobby is still pumping out the bratwurst in Nong Khai 25+ years later.  

And with a cutie named Noy, like every third woman in Issan. He is living your dream. Def worth a pop in.

https://www.facebook.com/Nobbinoy/

What Nobbis bar still going.? Amazing. 

Had a few heavy sessions there 20+ years ago on the way up and on the way back. Stayed at a cheapo guest house more or less next door. 

When I had problems with the local police late last year in Luang Prabang (I lived there for a couple of years up to late last year), the immediate accusation was that I was living with a Lao woman, nothing about my ham radio gear (which was the main concern after my denials about the woman).

Why risk messing about with an 'off-limits' Lao women when there are plenty of Chinese and Thai women in town?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I was lucky to go to Luang Prabang almost 20 years ago before it was overly popular as a tourist destination. It was amazing!

I first visited LP in the mid-80s on tour organised by the Lao government.  No safe road between Vientiane and LP (too many bandits).  The Lao Airlines flight crew were all from Iceland!

• Like 1

Why no Khorat? Seems like a no-brainer on the way back to Bangkok. If you knock out out of the way Ubon and toss it in instead, it's a much more logical route. Similar place too. Nice pile of rocks nearby.

Edited by LaosLover