US urged to stop importing fishing nets from Thailand

webfact

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Can you share your knowledge about that?

Nothing to share. Its common sense that if the issue raised is Thailand companies or govt uses inmates in prison to make any products and then selling them to anyone else anywhere is a thai issue to continue or to stop. If the US or any other country decides not to buy those products because of the conditions of mfr  that may be the proper response. 

41 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Nothing to share. Its common sense that if the issue raised is Thailand companies or govt uses inmates in prison to make any products and then selling them to anyone else anywhere is a thai issue to continue or to stop. If the US or any other country decides not to buy those products because of the conditions of mfr  that may be the proper response. 

Actually, I was interested about your knowledge about the forced labour in Thai prisons.  

On 2/26/2022 at 4:57 AM, Dan O said:

Free profits as the result of forced labor of inmates in Thai jails for thai companies has nothing to do with any other country. Its a thai issue to solve and stop. If notifying the US or any other country about the issue helps then absolutely they should speak up. I'm sure they are not passing on those free profits to any customer 

You do realize that prison labour is a thing in the USA too, right?

11 hours ago, Dan O said:

I only know whats been reported repeatedly in the press over many years 

Then, you surely are taking in account that there is a press you can believe and there is also a press that is stereotypically repeating anything without knowing  - and caring - how it really is.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Saanim said:

Then, you surely are taking in account that there is a press you can believe and there is also a press that is stereotypically repeating anything without knowing  - and caring - how it really is.

This has been reported for years and also acknowledged by thai officials in the past. You comment like people are making up the truth. Very sad 

On 2/27/2022 at 6:10 AM, Myran said:

No, you absolutely didn't read that right.

excellent!  we now agree there are many  other violations. so i expect you to tell me WHY "Prominent labor and human rights organizations" don't protest against those (violations)

On 2/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Alas enforced/slave labour is common in the USA, China and many countries. It was the English literary set who first campaigned against it after the treatment of Oscar Wilde during his time in Reading  Goal.

It's ok when the good guys get on with such barbaric activities......even looked upon [and excused for] as civilised in some twisted manner.

18 hours ago, Dan O said:

This has been reported for years and also acknowledged by thai officials in the past. You comment like people are making up the truth. Very sad 

If something has been reported for years (where?) it does convince you that it is true? (who did it say about sufficiently repeating lies?)

Whether Thai officials also acknowledged it in the past? That would be really the first time in Thai govt history of admitting of something bad. Please provide the link.

There are so many in Thailand who knows it pretty well, but not from "reporting"...          

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

excellent!  we now agree there are many  other violations. so i expect you to tell me WHY "Prominent labor and human rights organizations" don't protest against those (violations)

No idea why you would expect me to explain that. I suggest you contact the organizations in question and ask them yourself.

8 hours ago, Saanim said:

If something has been reported for years (where?) it does convince you that it is true? (who did it say about sufficiently repeating lies?)

Whether Thai officials also acknowledged it in the past? That would be really the first time in Thai govt history of admitting of something bad. Please provide the link.

There are so many in Thailand who knows it pretty well, but not from "reporting"...          

Not sure why you want to imply its not happening. Its up to you to believe what you want. I guess if you don't see it yourself its not real  Have a good day 

11 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

lol! but it was you telling me i read wrong!

Right, because you did. Nowhere does it say that fishin gear manufacturing is the only area with violations. That seems to be something you made up yourself.

Acknowledging one problem isn't a proclamation that no other problems exist.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, Dan O said:

If the US or any other country decides not to buy those products because of the conditions of mfr  that may be the proper response. 

They (KKFN) are not selling anything to the US. There is nothing to stop buying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:05 AM, Myran said:

Right, because you did. Nowhere does it say that fishin gear manufacturing is the only area with violations. That seems to be something you made up yourself.

Acknowledging one problem isn't a proclamation that no other problems exist.

sorry for taking time before answering! i had a good laughter reading your answer, because you are saying exactly what i meant by asking if the fishing gear manufacturing...violations, i.e. THERE ARE OTHER VIOLATIONS, some more serious, yet no one protests. i rest my case.

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

sorry for taking time before answering! i had a good laughter reading your answer, because you are saying exactly what i meant by asking if the fishing gear manufacturing...violations, i.e. THERE ARE OTHER VIOLATIONS, some more serious, yet no one protests. i rest my case.

Again: "Acknowledging one problem isn't a proclamation that no other problems exist."

Are you saying that the human rights organizations shouldn't bring up problems unless they can list every single problem in every single industry? With your "logic", no one can complain or bring up issues, because they can't mention them all and there are always bigger problems. Better to just keep silent about them all, rather than protesting against some of them, right?

Not to mention that this particular protest is based on a report specifically about production of fishing nets, so it makes perfect sense that their complaint is specifically about that.

It's like commenting on a local news story about pot holes in the local street being a problem, by writing: "But what about the starving children in Africa? Why aren't you addressing that?"