How would you feel if.

NoshowJones

Are any of your sons, daughters, or step family in the armed forces? How would you feel if any of them told you that they have to back their PM or whatever, and perhaps be responsible for the deaths of anyone who gets in their way? This could happen if they go and invade another country, or even take part in a coup and perhaps be responsible for the deaths of anyone who gets in their way?

So far, I don't have an opinion on this, but may have after reading some of your replies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Are any of your sons, daughters, or step family in the armed forces? 

None of my family thank goodness but I think it would be good for some kids to be in the forces as to say wanted to take up a career but hope they do not get into a war situation.

Surely military people will expect to have to kill people otherwise they shouldn't have the job.

More shocking would be conscription, Ukraine has asked 18-60 year olds to not leave, this could happen in other countries, forget retirement if under 60 perhaps, all because of Putin

• Like 1

I think for many that join the military in this day and age, the last thing they expect to do is go and literally kill someone.

One to one face to face is a huge difference to sitting at a desk playing what appears to be a computer game. (Drone attacks etc).

• Like 1

It depends on whether my children were defending their country and their way of life, in which case I would say go for it, and let me pick up a rifle too.

OTOH, if it is a leader who involves his countrymen in foreign wars, I'd be saying I want to see you on the front line as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerno said:

Yes, this is the uneasy duty of soldiers.  Military personnel kill other people. Why is that so shocking?

Murdering mercenaries for the state. 

Charming. 

.....and the queasy circle that are indoctrinated to romance and champion such entities.

Siwilai.