England pension for thai widow

Spooky1968

I would like information about the subject.

I have a very good Thai lady friend who was married with a England citizen.

He passed away in England last year and this lady was in Thailand cause about Covid she can't travel.

She has a thai wedding document but stepdaughter in England don't provided the husband death certificate.

She doesn't want any property or money in England from her husband (sure she cannot handle these ones) just get the certificate because without it she cannot marry again in Thailand.

And adding to this issue, she wants to know if she can get an England widow pension due she was married with this guy when he died 

I think she must to get the England marriage certificate submitting the thai certificate and she will need the death certificate too.

I want put this issue in hands of my thai lawyer because really this lady is a very good person and looking photos you can see so happy was this guy when he was married with her but I put this topic here to get before any information/comment/advice from anyone knowledgest about this kind of issues.

Regards

Depends entirely if he had any pensions from places he worked that carry this benefit.

What you need is co operation from next of kin in the UK.

Was there a will? Who was the executor of that will ?bthis person would have knowledge of the estate etc.

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Private pensions can go to widow.

In the US, private pension can go to the widow depending on the option he chose before he started drawing pension. Once the option is selected, it cannot be changed. Various options available are 1. Lump sump withdraw, 2. 100% to Self till death, 3. 50/50 self/widow, and a few other options. Just for your information. 

Guest jonzboy

1.  Most likely something criminal is occurring in respect to the estate of the deceased husband in UK.  If the marriage is genuine then the deceased's wife is entitled to the estate or that part left to her under the terms of the deceased's will (but I'm willing to bet the will does not exist for obvious reasons).  A UK solicitor will be needed to challenge what is going on.

2.  The transferrable benefits of a UK State pension will depend upon the deceased's age (if reaching retirement age prior to 2016 a widow/widower could be awarded part of their spouse's state pension but will depend upon the date of the marriage)

3.  Many private company pensions have a provision for payment to a spouse upon death

All of the above need to be investigated and processed by a probate solicitor.

2 hours ago, howerde said:

Did he have a private pension ie company pension?

did she ever work in UK, or sign on(your national insurance would be payed if she did) 

very unlikely to get anything from his state pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner

She never worked in UK. Thanks

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Depends entirely if he had any pensions from places he worked that carry this benefit.

What you need is co operation from next of kin in the UK.

Was there a will? Who was the executor of that will ?bthis person would have knowledge of the estate etc.

I think we will die before Elizabeth passed away!! ???? 

Thanks ???? 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Private pensions can go to widow.

Reminder to those out there to get their financial situation in order so assets can be passed on, sad to leave the widow with nothing because of lack of planning

We will try to get information about some private pension or company life insurances, thanks

13 minutes ago, jonzboy said:

1.  Most likely something criminal is occurring in respect to the estate of the deceased husband in UK.  If the marriage is genuine then the deceased's wife is entitled to the estate or that part left to her under the terms of the deceased's will (but I'm willing to bet the will does not exist for obvious reasons).  A UK solicitor will be needed to challenge what is going on.

2.  The transferrable benefits of a UK State pension will depend upon the deceased's age (if reaching retirement age prior to 2016 a widow/widower could be awarded part of their spouse's state pension but will depend upon the date of the marriage)

3.  Many private company pensions have a provision for payment to a spouse upon death

Thanks, good comments.

We will try to get more information and maybe a contact with some solicitor

3 hours ago, Spooky1968 said:

She has a thai wedding document but stepdaughter in England don't provided the husband death certificate.

If family in England will not provide the death certificate I believe it is possible to order a copy. https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Edit to add: Citizens Advice UK can provide free advice online - worth a look https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spooky1968 said:

He passed away in England last year and this lady was in Thailand cause about Covid she can't travel.

just get the certificate because without it she cannot marry again in Thailand.

Seriously ? he's not been in the ground that long and she's looking for her next care giver ?

My wife will get my company pension. But my annuities will pay her diddly. She will inherit my house and that will be enough until she is dead, and our daughter will have housing forever

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thai wives married to Englishmen do not get any intitlements anymore.

Wrong.   If you are talking about the government provided pension then yes, she would not be entitled to a further pension.   However, if he was in receipt of other pensions, possibly company related or even local authority pensions, then yes, she would.   Some of it is down to the actual legality of the pension (i.e. properly registered), which is normally required for local authority (for clarity, I'm talking about service in the police, fire brigade, and other services).   Typically company pensions only require that the pension recipient has nominated somebody as their next of kin, be it wife or partner.

23 minutes ago, pagallim said:

If you are talking about the government provided pension then yes

That's what I referring to.

Private pensions have different arrangements maybe.

Maybe he may a ' Will ' ,

4 hours ago, jonzboy said:

The law is quite clear about what happens if a husband dies and there is no will .......the wife automatically inherits all of her husbands personal property and belongings and the first £250,000 value of the estate.

If there are surviving children, grandchildren or great grandchildren, they get half of what's left.......the wife gets the rest of it.

If no children, etc......the wife gets the lot.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

She might be entitled to some state pension. How old was he when he died?

A State Pension won't just end when someone dies, you need to do something about it. ... You may be entitled to extra payments from your deceased spouse's or civil partner's State Pension. However, this depends on their National Insurance Contributions, and the date they reached the State Pension age.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seriously ? he's not been in the ground that long and she's looking for her next care giver ?

My wife will get my company pension. But my annuities will pay her diddly. She will inherit my house and that will be enough until she is dead, and our daughter will have housing forever

For many Thai widows just receiving the house\condo isn't enough as they have to pay bills too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, it is what it is said:

what about those married to scotsmen, welshmen and northern irishmen?

Same there part of the UK. 

The OP specifically posted English so I responded as such. 

On 3/1/2022 at 10:03 PM, RichardColeman said:

She is not looking for any care giver.

Don't talk about you have no idea.

most of what has been posted above is correct,i have been married for over 35yrs,my thai wife worked in the uk.for over 20yrs.

now for those who have NEVER worked in the uk.and never paid N.I.contributions GET NOTHING.

if the husband has a co.pension she will be entitled to around 50%.

my wife who gets a monthly works pension.as for my co.pension she would have been able to claim on my passing,but sincw the new law allowing me to take a lump sum if under 30k.uk pounds i did this and put it into a thai bank acc.in the wifes name.her state pension from the uk.she will not get untill she is 67yrs.old a long way off.

if the husband has any assets you must get wills made in english and thai stateing who gets what so the parasites dont get f.-all.as for claiming anything from the uk.gov.state coffers dont bother wasting your time.although my wife is also a british citizen that only entitler,s to a british passport.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:26 AM, meatboy said:

most of what has been posted above is correct,i have been married for over 35yrs,my thai wife worked in the uk.for over 20yrs.

now for those who have NEVER worked in the uk.and never paid N.I.contributions GET NOTHING.

if the husband has a co.pension she will be entitled to around 50%.

my wife who gets a monthly works pension.as for my co.pension she would have been able to claim on my passing,but sincw the new law allowing me to take a lump sum if under 30k.uk pounds i did this and put it into a thai bank acc.in the wifes name.her state pension from the uk.she will not get untill she is 67yrs.old a long way off.

if the husband has any assets you must get wills made in english and thai stateing who gets what so the parasites dont get f.-all.as for claiming anything from the uk.gov.state coffers dont bother wasting your time.although my wife is also a british citizen that only entitler,s to a british passport.

The case of my friend is totally far away from your case, she never worked in England and she has not british passport.

I think there is no way to help her.

Thanks a lot for your comments 

7 hours ago, Spooky1968 said:

The case of my friend is totally far away from your case, she never worked in England and she has not british passport.

I think there is no way to help her.

Thanks a lot for your comments 

enquiries need to be made regarding any will or lack of.