Buying train ticket at the counter

Hal65

I know this is not recommended and the 1st/2nd class tickets are often sold out. Unfortunately I am not able to buy in advance due to circumstances.

The route I'm interested in is BKK to Chiang Mai, probably overnight sleeper train. Is it likely that even regular seats will be available at the counter on any given train? Being a train I'm guessing they should have an excess of regular seats.

For train travel in Asia, it might be worth checking out "The Man at Seat 61" https://www.seat61.com/ which should have links for buying tickets (Though if you can't buy them in advance then it seems like you're stuck with turning up at the train station to buy them)... 

Not sure how set you are on the train option & am assuming you've decided not to fly, but there are "1st Class" sleeper buses from Bangkok to Chiang Mai that are apparently quicker and as nice (if not nicer) experience... 

There's a few YT videos about them, this is the one that brought it to my attention 

I'm on a 1st class sleeper right now. Don Muang to Chiang Mai.

1. No one asked me for ID. I showed a printout of my ticket order to receive it

2. The 1st class cabins appear 50% occupied, maybe less. I have my cabin to myself.

Overall although slower I'm loving traveling while chilling on a bed, typing on my computer and watching a moving view. 

They're not answering the call button though. Does anyone know how to get them to bring food (I'm happy to pay). Walking up and down my train car hasn't revealed anything. I'm not sure if I should switch between cars or if that's a bad thing to do.