Smoke.. I know it’s impossible to predict but historically when does it die down.

mikey88

Any long term expats out there with the experience of many Smokey seasons…..trapped in Australia for a long while and planning my return. An educated guess….about when might the smoke die down… I was thinking mid May?   Am I’m far off…?

Just now, Thailand said:

Are you saying it didn't?

I don't think the virus could change the actual weather patterns globally, or just in Thailand but possibly, by the decrease in pollution from vehicles & aircraft the air became a bit cleaner.

But the effin' farmers are still burning their fields now, and vehicles are back to normal!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Thanks everybody who replied….I appreciate it… the consensus seems to be ‘after songkran’…

And if Songkran is suspended or banned, does it mean the weather will be different?   LOL

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 7:19 AM, BritManToo said:

Songkran ....... it's always gone by the end of Songkran.

We've been lucky this year, the pollution in CM didn't start until this week, nearly 2 months later than last year.

Not true!

It depends also on where you are staying.

Only 1 example for the draught after Songkran in 25 provinces in the year 2020.

https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/25-provinces-declare-drought-disaster

Once you could rely on this:   the dry season stopped by the end of songkran.

But since a lot of years this prediction did NOT work (exception:  last year, at least here in Mae Hong Son).

In 2011 a strong monsoon started at the in May, flooding at lot of provinces in the North and North-East.

• Sad 1

28th April the Suns zenith is directly overhead Bangkok. Equal Day/Night. The ITCZ band or Intertropical Convergence Zone brings the monsoon rains with it. The air flow will change from N/E to the S/W with the rains  doing their bit cleaning the air. I thought everyone new this...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The smoke will die down when the dinosaurs are replaced with young and progressive leaders, who care about the health, welfare and well being of the nation, and the environment. The current crop do not have any initiative, nor any ideas. Dinosaurs are cursed with small brains. 

Seriously, the air tends to get better when the rains start. Typically May or June. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 5:22 PM, Thaifish said:

28th April the Suns zenith is directly overhead Bangkok. Equal Day/Night. The ITCZ band or Intertropical Convergence Zone brings the monsoon rains with it. The air flow will change from N/E to the S/W with the rains  doing their bit cleaning the air. I thought everyone new this...?

Excellent…..thanks.

You can go to the pm 2.5 daily records when green shows the means rain occurred….

May is usually the 2nd driest month behind March but last year the rains came and stayed in May…it takes a few days to clear as long as the rains continue…

historically, the rainy season starts in early June with Heavy rains in aug/sept…

April can have showers but not sustained thus minimal impact on AP levels…

without unexpected rains, March April and May brutally hot and humid as well….

safe bet - return June 1st

Edited by cardinalblue

On 3/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, Thaifish said:

There are only 2 days in the year when there is equal day and night. They are called the equinox and they occur around 20th March and 22nd September and apply worldwide. I thought everyone knew this.

On 3/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, Thaifish said:

This is new to me or should I have known this?

data from last year indicates April has 21 days above 50 and May had 10 days above 50….

pretty good evidence that refutes the statement “that AP is gone after songran”

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

There are only 2 days in the year when there is equal day and night. They are called the equinox and they occur around 20th March and 22nd September and apply worldwide.

You are 100% correct give a day or 2... Yep they apply worldwide..It's an average date. The dates only apply if you live on the equator though. I have gone a step further and instead of using the Equator I have used Bkk North 13.7 Latitude (Declination) to narrow down the onset of the rain cleaning the air as from the original post. So 28th April Bkk there will be equal Day/Night. Equinox.

Maybe the rains might be in front of the Sun's Declination or behind it but the Sun's path plays a big roll on the ITCZ weather pattern.    

7 hours ago, Thaifish said:

You are 100% correct give a day or 2... Yep they apply worldwide..It's an average date. The dates only apply if you live on the equator though.

Sorry pal but you've got that wrong, they not are average dates, The equinox is a worldwide phenomenon that occurs on the day that that sun crosses the equator (as seen from Earth) on the afore mentioned dates.

On those two days, the whole world, with (the exception of the polar regions) will experience 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime. It doesn't matter whether you live in Oslo, Kampala or Hobart. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-solstices-and-equinoxes-3073393