At the UN, Thailand votes to condemn Russia’s aggression in Ukraine

webfact

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although you can choose to keep your opinion to yourself and decide not to get involved 

You think it doesn’t bring opprobrium (and thus  involvement) from the many others when refusing to condemn the most egregious acts like say,slavery,war crimes, FGM and genocide ? This is the violent ,unprovoked invasion of a sovereign country. Abstentions are noted and send an unwelcome message and damaging judgement by others of equivocation. Very naive to consider otherwise 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

You think it doesn’t bring opprobrium (and thus  involvement) from the many others when refusing to condemn the most egregious acts like say,slavery,war crimes, FGM and genocide ? This is the violent ,unprovoked invasion of a sovereign country. Abstentions are noted and send an unwelcome message and damaging judgement by others of equivocation. Very naive to consider otherwise 

We are talking about two Countries at war  , we aren't talking about slavery and all the rest .

If two Countries are fighting each other  , other Countries can chose to take neither side and remain neutral , choose not to get involved . 

Do you think it would be beneficial if the whole World divided and all either went with one side or the other ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noah K said:

just like you did? Hypocrite or Ostrich?

No, you don't have to get involved with everything and tell others what they should be doing .

You can choose not to get involved . 

These days , the general public seem to think that each and everyone of them are on the U.N security Council and its their business to solve all the worlds problems .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

There has been no formal (or otherwise) declaration of war. One country has simply illegally invaded the sovereign territory of another unprovoked,including the deliberate shelling and slaughter of innocent civilians via civilian targets ,which include child casualties ,which constitutes an international war crime . 

Maybe you should read up on the history of the situation and find out why Russia entered the Ukraine ?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It takes a Russian businessman to seek Putin's demise as a continuing war criminal, while the USA, UK, and EURO countries sit on their butts thinking sanctions will suffice in the long term. Yes, mates, but by dilly-dawdling along, Putin would be still free to launch a freaking nuclear war.    

The highly unstable Putin is guaranteed to launch a freaking nuclear war if NATO countries get directly involved. 

Supplying weapons and finance to Ukraine to help them repel the invasion (not sitting on their butts), and strangling the Russian economy is the best we can do at this stage. War is an expensive business and Putin's piggy bank will be pretty empty soon.

Plus the sanctions make it more likely one of his cronies will try to take him out. Why do you think this Russian businessman is offering a bounty - out of the goodness of his heart? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has joined 140 countries voting in favour of the resolution to condemn Russia’s aggression

Thailand will now return the envelope filled with Reubals as the currency is almost worthless. The other Asian countries were smarter getting USD ????????????

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

Why don't you enlighten us?I can not find any legitimate reason why they did.

It could be i may have another news source.?

Have a look on some Wiki sites which explains the reasons and history , I dont have the time to write 40 years of history in a post on here 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

Hmm
I don't remember all these condemnations when another big country invaded a small country under false pretenses and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians. There must be some kind of unknown law deciding which country can invade and which one can't....

The similarities between this and the second Gulf War are striking the same justification tactics prior to invasion even the same kind of media videos of citizens confronting armed soldiers. i.e. an unarmed Ukrainian citizen confronting an armed Russian Soldier versus an unarmed Iraqi citizen confronting an armed US soldier. The US soldier saying "I have the gun" in response. People have very short memories. I was horrified as much by the gulf war as I am by the invasion of the Ukraine

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Virt said:

Thailands vote to condemn Russia is nice but followed up by joining the sanctions and shipping weapons to Ukraine would be nicer.

The general could start his day by going through the inventory and see what he can spare......

I heard they are sending submarines.

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks, so I'll just stick to the apparently erroneous assumption that it was because a power hungry fascist has dreams of returning to the good old days when everything was so much better.

There are other reasons (like defending the 17% of Russians in Ukraine, which were not allowed to speak their mother tongue and follow their culture, as well as growing NATO military presence in the buffer zone countries). This doesn't mean that your assumptions are incorrect however, it just means there is always more than what meets the eye. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks, so I'll just stick to the apparently erroneous assumption that it was because a power hungry fascist has dreams of returning to the good old days when everything was so much better.

Has things to do with Ukraine aligning themselves with NATO and Russia concerned about NATO putting missiles on their borders and things of that nature .

Edited by onthedarkside
personal/flame comment removed
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Has things to do with Ukraine aligning themselves with NATO and Russia concerned about NATO putting missiles on their borders and things of that nature .

I'm well aware that NATO missiles are close to Russia as are Russian missiles close to the west since long ago. That doesn't count as a reason to invade especially when nothing has changed in that regard and Putin declared that he didn't intend to invade. Following that declaration, NOTHING changed which gave him any justification for rescinding his word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can you provide a credible link that supports your claim that Russians in Ukraine were not allowed to speak Russian?

For one, I've talked to a very good Russian friend of mine who is currently in Moscow and has many family members in Ukraine. He confirmed this.

Here is a pretty good article about the (alleged) motivations for Putin's invasion.
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/ideasroom/making-sense-of-vladimir-putin?fbclid=IwAR3RZXOtws-kmb6Hk1cQb99ZEHj3u6Rl2GnXkUDU3_LoBVlVpewztPtJmlQ

Towards the end of this article you'll find the language laws:
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/?fbclid=IwAR3Gp1llVyhtkALXQyv7UGt-wwVWZ8TB2VkBoOxiuPJeJbk8nevlJyQzcmQ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm well aware that NATO missiles are close to Russia as are Russian missiles close to the west since long ago. That doesn't count as a reason to invade especially when nothing has changed in that regard and Putin declared that he didn't intend to invade. Following that declaration, NOTHING changed which gave him any justification for rescinding his word.

No, there are currently no NATO missiles in the Ukraine , Russias concerned that Ukraine will join NATO and then NATO would be obliged to militarily defend Ukraine and the USA could build military bases on Russias borders .

Putin has long stated that he would not let that happen 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your opinion is in the minority and on the wrong side of what will be a dark history. Putin invading Ukraine on the pretext that he was going their to denazify it was false and remains so. Instead he's there to invade the whole country and while doing so carrying out war crimes with an estimate of 2000 civilians already killed.

I havent yet given my opinion .

You really should wait until I have given my opinion, before you state that I am wrong 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No , if you're sat at home and read the stories it may seem that way . 

But if you think about it , The Thai Government didn't want to get involved in BKK Thailand . 

Thay didnt want to make a stand alone statement in BKK and get involved . 

But whilst at a U.N meeting , they were asked to vote on something .

"The Thai Government didn't want to get involved in BKK Thailand"

HUH? 

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So he'll invade a sovereign nation and kill thousands of innocents rather than let that happen.

Yes, rather similar to the Western World invading Iraq because of his weapons of mass destruction .

Taking out a threat before it turns into  serious threat that could destroy your Country 

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"The Thai Government didn't want to get involved in BKK Thailand"

HUH? 

I did mean that the Thai Parliament didn't want to get involved from their base in Bangkok ,Thailand and make statements of things that don't concern them .

But at a U.N meeting in Brussels they were required to give a vote/opinion  

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I did mean that the Thai Parliament didn't want to get involved from their base in Bangkok ,Thailand and make statements of things that don't concern them .

But at a U.N meeting in Brussels they were required to give a vote/opinion  

So it all depends where abouts the fence is when they make a statement?

• Haha 1