Chang beer price increase

itsari

Just now, robblok said:

That is the difference between me and you i like facts and back things up. You don't back up anything you blow some hot air and make some statements and that is it.

Your a typical expat wanting things cheap cheap without any realism. Sure the alcohol can be below 50% if you have no girls around, no aircon and an open air bar at a bad location. There are so many variables but you seem to think 50% is a lot and it is not.

Yes there is a huge difference between you and I 

Facts can be found on the net to suit your self in this search engine world .

Costs in Thailand can not be compared to Canada , UK , Australia  and so the list can go on .

Just to gain a liquor  license in those countries can cost a great deal of money . 

Taking that in consideration then you can see that you can not use the same accountancy methods you dream up  for running a bar business in Thailand 

20 minutes ago, itsari said:

I give a monkeys but if you believe me . 

I dont need to show links to proove what i say . Do the research your self 

I know the modern way to a improved net profit is to reduce your prices and that goes for a bar too .

You are mentioning countries other than Thailand . Thailand has far less costs when running a bar . Even the start up price is far lower than 1st world countries .

"I know the modern way to a improved net profit is to reduce your prices and that goes for a bar too ".

Not in Thailand it ain't! 

Thai logic is that if you have next to no customers, then you put your prices UP! 

A few years ago, in our resort, a new bar complex of about 8 or 9  bars was opened, and while all the other surrounding bars/nearby complexes were charging 70 baht on average for a beer, they were charging 100 baht. Needless to say, the complex was virtually deserted, so I asked one bar owner/mama san why they were charging so much for a beer. The answer was that because they only had a few customers, they had to put their prices up to compensate! And she was being serious! Needless to say, we had one beer and left, and the complex closed down a couple of months later, and they built some bungalows on the site. 

Another factor that comes into play here is that once they set their prices, to reduce them would have meant "losing face", and obviously they would rather lose the business than that to happen! 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, itsari said:

Ha ha, but there are many things about Thai business you don't understand.

Beer is an inflated price in Thailand 

If there is any misunderstanding of business, it is on your part.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Wow cheap charly. Do you really expect a bar not to have at least 50% margin on its drinks. It has to pay many other stuff from that 50% its not pure profit. I am always amazed at how cheap people expect products to be. 

https://home.binwise.com/guides/bar-profitability

Quite, I have been to many restaurants here that when you ask for a beer they pop out to the nearest 7/11 and usually charge you 70 baht for a large Chang, why should they shoulder the overheads. Very unlikely they will add the 2 baht, if the rise had been 4 it may have gone to 75.

The beer stall in the food court at Bang Saen market charge 60 at the moment, expect that will go to 65. It was rebuilt just before the pandemic and overall a great value eatery.

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Move to Archa , just as good

Been my normal beer at home for a long time. Becoming more difficult to get hold of, the wholesaler I was using stopped getting it and when I go to Tesco only one or two boxes on the shelf.

21 hours ago, itsari said:

I disagree 

Feel free, but you should refrain from continually displaying a lack of understanding.

"Costs in Thailand can not be compared to Canada , UK , Australia  and so the list can go on .

Just to gain a liquor  license in those countries can cost a great deal of money . 

Taking that in consideration then you can see that you can not use the same accountancy methods you dream up for running a bar business in Thailand. "

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Feel free, but you should refrain from continually displaying a lack of understanding.

"Costs in Thailand can not be compared to Canada , UK , Australia  and so the list can go on .

Taking that in consideration then you can see that you can not use the same accountancy methods you dream up for running a bar business in Thailand. "

Boot is on the other foot Mr Sandy

Wow if you want lots of response - discuss the price of beer !! 5 pages and me too . . .

Kwasaki - I've been paying B580 at a local place for a box for the last year or two but yesterday, the price was B620 - that's still less than B52 a bottle. I'm sure it's gone up but maybe your Shop hasn't upped yet ?

Unlike OP I think Chang is an excellent beer and when visiting the UK, my enjoyment translates seamlessly to 'real ales', often at 'Spoons but when I return, Chang is a real joy again - the colder the better!

As OP my box of empties go back to the Mom and Pop where I sit and have my 2 beers some evening - they charge B57 but I say the B6 change is a 'tip' and we have a laugh about that.

Enjoy it.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, alien365 said:

Tell me about it. I just went to lotus and a box of tiger is now ฿652! It uses to be ฿620 and a few months ago 610. If it keeps going up I'm going to cut out beer altogether and just drink whisky. Thanks government for pushing me towards the harder stuff. 

And keep smoking the good stuff

31 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

Another price increase today 

`Leo has gone from 626 a box to 644 a box downtown bkk area at least. Chang went from 601 to 619 a month or so back. 

Who is protesting outside city hall tomorrow?

This is not even 3 percent more. This local beer here is brewed in a way so that you can add some water and you will not notice any difference in taste ????????????. Add 3 percent water and the problem is solved. Even 10 or 20 percent should not be a problem. Test it with friends. Impossible that they will notice this. I drink Leo and very often it has a different taste. I didn't have this experience with western beer. It always had the same taste. 

12 hours ago, hello55060 said:

Another price increase today 

`Leo has gone from 626 a box to 644 a box downtown bkk area at least. Chang went from 601 to 619 a month or so back. 

Who is protesting outside city hall tomorrow?

My pub shop i sit at, still charge 52 for large bottle Chang.

My other pub shop i go to take 60 now use to be 55.