Buying A Game Console In Bkk

hotgeekus

Ok, I am (finally) looking to buy a game console here in BKK. I am not a gaming nerd, here is my requirements:

1. have never owned a console other than my atari 2600

2. technology is not a problem, but I am not a nerd,

3. mostly looking for good graphics

4. games looking for are tetris style, f-1 racing, maybe soccer or whatever...

5. games don't need to be 1000% technical, ie mostly using the 'novice' setting

6. would be great if it could be eventually used in other countries but if not, oh well (ie USA)

7. money, not really an issue as games are cheap here

What do you think?

(please just simple pros and cons, no flaming the lameness of one v the other)...

Games are cheap here because of the mod chips they install. Currently the Xbox360 has the best system out there for that. Be warned though you may be banned from Live if they see that your dvd-rom is chipped.

One of the biggest problems using it in the US is the mains. Thailand of course uses 240v and the US uses 110. I don't know if the Wii and the PS3 have autoswitching power supplies, but if you take your Xbox360 to the states, at the very least you're gonna have to drop another $100 at Wally World for another PSU. Another issue you're going to face is that Thailand uses a version of PAL versus USA's NTSC. To my understanding, if you're only going to hook up the component cables to a HDTV that shouldn't be an issue though.

Overall, I think looking at your requirements, you'd be happiest with a Xbox360 (and this comes from someone who loves the Wii). You'll be able to pick up quick fun Tetris style games on LIve and the other games you listed at your local game store.

If you really want a f1 game, the xbox360 isnt an option. Only the ps2 or ps3 is (and i would never buy a ps2 if money isnt a problem).

But why care about f1 if there is such a thing like forza2 :o

Edited by Joost