Grass that will perform in "Full Sun "

i will be grassing a few fairly large areas, at a new house in the Hua Hin area.

from your experiences, please,

which grass will perform best in a full sun situation

there is minimal if any shade

im not after a picture perfect lawn, to sit on  just one that hopefully stays green, and looks fairly smart

i do prefer the wider blade look, if thats possible

again from experience , which grass tends to use less water.

Thanks..

Depends what one considers less water, and how large an area.  You will have to water during dry season.  Had house that sat on 2 rai, and I didn't even bother watering what I couldn't see out the front windows.  Neither the time, nor could the village supply that much water.

Photo is wet season, but outlined what we watered during dry season.  Do consider HH/PKK is one of the drier provinces in Thailand.

Maintaining a yard / garden takes a lot of time & water.  New build has minimal yard, as we're out & about quite often, and now won't have to worry about what's dead or overgrown when we return.  Got tired of living for the house / yard.  Way too limiting, and cuts into 'me time'.????

1c1.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

In the same boat (1/2 rai to grass shortly)......the answer seems to be Malaysian grass......don't like the look or feel of it though......so hoping someone can suggest something else now you have started this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

grass will perform best in a full sun situation

I use to live in Texas.  Bermuda is used throughout the Southern part of the USA.  It loves sun and is extremely resilient.  They do sell it on Shopee and Lazada. 

Bermuda grass prefers full sun. It is tolerant of both heat and drought as well as dry soil, so full sun during to hotter months is not a problem. It does not do well in shade, however. In such growing conditions -- less than 4 hours of full, direct sunlight each day -- Bermuda grass photosynthesizes less.

Edited by Longwood50
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

OP, just be careful if you get a local 'gardener' to cut any grass you do get growing well. 99% of them tend to cut back to soil level using what I call 'industrial scalpers' usually called strimmers. In 10 minutes they can turn a nice green lawn into a fair representation of the sahara and it can take a long time to recover depending on the time of year.

If maintaining any amount of area, you really do need a proper lawn mower.  So much easier, fast, and does a better job.  

• Like 1

Thanks all, at the moment the Noi Noi Grass

most likely spelt incorrectly,

is the winner, unless i can be re persuaded..

just reading so much does your head in a bit, like the grass they use on fairways at golf courses around here, surely that must be ok ???

and yes LA, a lawn mover is the ONLY way it will be cut

been in the landscaping business for 30 years so hopefully have retained a thing or two

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, overherebc said:

OP, just be careful if you get a local 'gardener' to cut any grass you do get growing well. 99% of them tend to cut back to soil level using what I call 'industrial scalpers' usually called strimmers. In 10 minutes they can turn a nice green lawn into a fair representation of the sahara and it can take a long time to recover depending on the time of year.

So true, thank you for pointing that out. It is an important aspect of managment and water use.  Mow weekly at 3" height for better grass health and soil moisture retention. Frequent mowing minimizes the cut blade portion and  volume of clippings, so that it can be returned to the soil with a mulching mower and not trapped in a catcher and disposed of. 

Soil preparation is everything, for long term turf health and water use efficiency, no matter which grass you select. 

You get what you pay for. Six-inch depth incorporation of vermicompost, composted chicken manure, and a slow release complete mineral organic fertiizer will buy you better turf establishment, healthy green grass and water efficiency than the common local method of cheapass minimal soil improvements.  

Yaa Malaysia is the broadleaf variety, beautiful, cool and soft to walk and play on, and it will squeeze out weeds and and ant nests when established.  But it will require more water than the smaller leaf blade Zoysia varieties below, all things considered. Yaa Malaysia is suited for partial shade, but can do well with sun exposure if mowed high with a mulching mower, and watered adequately. 

There have been tons of discussions over the years on this as well as the farming forum.  Here's from one of the threads.

The most commonly available Thailand turf grasses

Zoysia matrella  "Yaa Nuan Noi" 

Zoysia japonica - "Yaa Yippon" (Japanese grass).

Axonopus compressus  "Yaa Malasia" (broadleaf carpet grass)

https://aseannow.com/topic/1162641-landscaping-and-planting-a-lawn/