Mae Sai Visa Stamp

Ok. Since the new rule came into effect around October 2nd.

My passport looks like this....

Stamp October 4th - Nov 2nd

Stamp November 6th to Dec 5th

Stamp December 4th to January 2nd

On January 2nd I flew to Vientienne and applied and was accepted for a two month tourist visa

Came back to Thailand on January 4th.

In March I extended it at immigration to April 3rd

I left Thailand and flew back to my home country on April 1st

Returned to Thailand on April 19th. They pulled me away at the airport and it took them forever to stamp my passport. I'm not sure what the problem was as I kept trying to explain my situation but for some reason nothing was getting done and then all of a sudden they stamped it and allowed me through. Kind of had me worried

Stamp April 19th - May 18th

Stamp May 18th to June 16th

Now my main questions:

1) am I able to get another stamp or will I run into problems at the border? I usually go to Mae Sai for my stamps.

2) Does Mae Sai now require people to show exit tickets from thailand? plane ticket, etc. ?

It seems that my December stamp was in red as compared to the usual blue. I don't see the red on my previous stamp so I hope that means I qualify for one more. My situation at the airport has me worried though.

You went to all the trouble of going back to your home country and didn't pick up a Non-Imm B visa?

Sounds like they were 'doing the math' on the number of days you'd been in Thailand on visa stamps and on the tourist visa.

Make sure you have the required 20,000 Baht in your pocket when you cross Mae Sai. My guess is they'll give you another red stamp this time.

...They pulled me away at the airport and it took them forever to stamp my passport. I'm not sure what the problem was as I kept trying to explain my situation but for some reason nothing was getting done and then all of a sudden they stamped it and allowed me through.

Your attempts at an explanation made them lose track of their count and they had to start all over again. It is best to speak only when you are asked a question. Otherwise the officer may think that you have something to hide, that you are trying to distract him so that he won’t discover it.

--

Maestro

As a humble addendum to the Maestro's assessment, it would appear that when you re-entered Thailand on April 19th, you initiated a new 6-month period. It may have taken them some time to realize this. Above the ผ.30 stamp they usually write a number, 1-2-3. What color highlighter they use to emphasize this does not seem to be significant. Yes, we need more updates on requirements at the border as they're constantly changing. :o

Mae Sai border requirement to show Bt.20,000 cash is inconsistent at best. Many months ago they asked to see the money once in awhile. In the past six months, they haven't asked at all. Just to be safe, it would be smart to carry it. A downside: every thief in Tatchilek assumes that every farang walking around their town - is carrying at least 20 crisp 1,000 baht notes. On the plus side, I've never heard of farang getting robbed in Tatchilek. Also, at the Burmeses side of the bridge, it's either $10 or 500 baht visa fee (forget kyat, they don't give a hoot for their own money). So you save money if you can hand them $10. they don't like large US bills because they assume everything larger than a 20 is counterfeit.

Mae Sai border requirement to show Bt.20,000 cash is inconsistent at best. Many months ago they asked to see the money once in awhile. In the past six months, they haven't asked at all. Just to be safe, it would be smart to carry it. A downside: every thief in Tatchilek assumes that every farang walking around their town - is carrying at least 20 crisp 1,000 baht notes. On the plus side, I've never heard of farang getting robbed in Tatchilek. Also, at the Burmeses side of the bridge, it's either $10 or 500 baht visa fee (forget kyat, they don't give a hoot for their own money). So you save money if you can hand them $10. they don't like large US bills because they assume everything larger than a 20 is counterfeit.

Also, if you only need to give them $10, forget about getting 'change' if all you have is a $20. Those stacks of U.S. $10 bills apparently can NEVER be used as change...I learned the hard way. :o

Also, if you only need to give them $10, forget about getting 'change' if all you have is a $20. Those stacks of U.S. $10 bills apparently can NEVER be used as change...I learned the hard way. :o

Thanks guys. I've done it before. I know the deal. They've never made me show 20K baht in the past and I see no reason to carry that on me. I'll take a bank slip or just be prepared to withdrawal from the ATM if they require it.

What about the onward air ticket? Have they even asked for this?

Also, if you only need to give them $10, forget about getting 'change' if all you have is a $20. Those stacks of U.S. $10 bills apparently can NEVER be used as change...I learned the hard way. :D

I went thru about feb this year with $50 note, they gave me change, but almost wiped them out of any greenback they were holding. That probably initiated the policy change :D:o

better to have $10 than 500 baht to pay as its cheaper. $10= 330-340 baht :D

I made it back to Thailand! The process was the same as usual. Only thing different that I'd like to comment on was the 500baht or $10US payed on the Burma side. In the past I had always paid in Thai baht but this time I brought a NEW $10US with me. The immigration officer rejected it because it had a crease down the middle....That was it! His reason for not accepting my bill. Kind of ridiculous and i complained and eventually they accepted it. Just wanted to throw that note out there.

Everything else was handled very well. Since it was my third visa on arrival stamp my passport included a flier detailing all my future options for Visas as well as informing me of the 90day in 6 month rule. Things seemed to be handled very professionally which I think is a positive sign.