Russian invasion creates a multitude of problems for tourism

webfact

4 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

i have read some of the comments and theyve bewildered me.these people are on holidays or staying here just like  most other readers,they are the same as us.they do not make foreign policy or move chequers on the map,western banks have screwed them and said sanctions were supposed to be directed at the top not the ordinary person in the street and as for the rest of this verbal garbage what of blair and bush and their weapons of mass destruction?napalmed kids in the countries next door,libya and syria beirut and kabul where USA stole half of a starving populations money and left with a targeted rocket attack that killed a bus full of children.democracy ?what was manning and assanges mistake?telling the truth and exposing USA war crimes-look what happened to them.as our lord said he who has not sinned may cast the 1st stone.of course theres iraq and that illegal war so what of that and the responsibility of all you westerners from the countries that played a part in that then?your all guilty just like these people who have great problems not of their own making,shame on you,fools and racists,obviously basic concepts of humanity and understanding are far from your grasp.uncle sams old logic of  'surround everyone with everything weve got and let em have it' is also your mantra of the day

I agree with most of what you state. However, there is a difference between those of us in the west who know what atrocities have been committed in our name and have a right to object, albeit frequently to no effect.  Those in Russia mostly know little of what is happening and those that do can only object at the risk of being imprisoned for many years.  Many Russians I have spoken to are as horrified as I at what is happening in their name . They can do nothing to change the situation except perhaps tell their friends and relatives back home the truth of the situation. There should be no aggression to Russians on holiday here or who live here as we do, maybe they live here to get away from Putin's regime. This is a war with Putin and his cronies not all Russian people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Putin signed a new law on Friday that would punish anyone who shares "false information" about the war in Ukraine. 
The law would punish those who support sanctions against Russia or call for Putin to end the attack in Ukraine
Under the new law, penalties for such actions include serving up to 15 years in prison and fines of up to 5 million rubles ($45,000)

I saw. I do hope the Russian peoples are stronger than what he his.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garzhe said:

I agree with most of what you state. However, there is a difference between those of us in the west who know what atrocities have been committed in our name and have a right to object, albeit frequently to no effect.  Those in Russia mostly know little of what is happening and those that do can only object at the risk of being imprisoned for many years.  Many Russians I have spoken to are as horrified as I at what is happening in their name . They can do nothing to change the situation except perhaps tell their friends and relatives back home the truth of the situation. There should be no aggression to Russians on holiday here or who live here as we do, maybe they live here to get away from Putin's regime. This is a war with Putin and his cronies not all Russian people.

thank u for your input,id like to point out manning and assanges treatment for uncovering war crimes so i do feel if u step out of line whatever side of the line you will get the treatment ,what was their crime uncovering the US crimes,unfortunately the 1st casualty of war is usually the truth,im concerned this could escalate into something worse,its becoming a slippery slope

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Sorry for the average Russian but your leader started this war, was warned that there would be a high price to pay if invaded Ukraine so he ignored the warnings. By seizing oligarts ships, properties bank accounts and stranding his citzens  around the world puts pressure on him to knock off his bullying or continue for even more sanctions and pain. Go pick up your citizens from around the world as we won't transport them.

thanks for your comments,im not from russia,i think this could have been avoided as we have continuously pushed west this was not the agreement we made between thatcher gorby and reagan  and nukes in ukr will not be tolerated in that country,my concern is this is a slippery slope,it could become a doomsday scenario.we need to negotiate this fast,it must become a neutral country

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Very telling that Thailand does not see the events in Ukraine as a humanitarian disaster, but as a tourism disaster !

5-year-olds (or people with similar mental development) don't understand humanitarian disasters or war. They just want, want, want. - More pocket money, more games...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He may be your Lord but he is not mine, ''our lord'' indeed if this mythical being of YOURS is so great then why all the suffering ?

youve missed the point.its called hypocrisy,we have seen in iraq  and so on  illegal wars barbarity and its brushed under the mat see what happens if u expose that.ask assange and manning ,so much for democracy and freedom of speech,hypocrisy indeed.actually jesus suffered as  a political man. his death was instigated by the religious right and carried out by the roman state.it was an appalling death.we learnt nothing  as you plainly show us

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, 10baht said:

Help the Ukrainians - book a room om AirBNB but don't go of course. That's sending really needed money to the Ukrainian people.

Seems like a lot of people on this forum dong understand , What this is maybe a lil more details , I do but I see the faces on replies confused 

58 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

youve missed the point.its called hypocrisy,we have seen in iraq  and so on  illegal wars barbarity and its brushed under the mat see what happens if u expose that.ask assange and manning ,so much for democracy and freedom of speech,hypocrisy indeed.actually jesus suffered as  a political man. his death was instigated by the religious right and carried out by the roman state.it was an appalling death.we learnt nothing  as you plainly show us

While you are on the subject of hypocrisy, perhaps you could explain why Bible-bashers have such a difficult time explaining the pedophilia in various religious organizations, when science says it is a statistically inevitable outcome arising from organization policy.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Brilliant! Let’s make you president of the world! And what sort of magical powers do you suppose the embassy has over these circumstances? You may  not like Russians personally, but they are innocent civilian tourists and deserve basic human respect as well as sympathy, they are victims of the war

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that everyone deserves basic human respect, calling Russian tourists in Thailand victims of the war, is a very artistic interpretation of "victims"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And while you are completely way off the subject of the topic.......

Possibly so; however, I am not the person injecting their religious beliefs into the topic.

6 hours ago, wombat said:

As all the service industries are owned by proxy by China and can cripple Taiwan in 48 hours without the need of invasion.

China has already taken HK.

Which country do you mean?

Thailand, of course.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

No average Russian will fly anywhere soon regardless of airspace restrictions. The average Russian will have other problems than spending his last money on two weeks vacation in Thailand and he would probably need to charter a separate airplane just to carry all the Rubles he needs for a dish of Pad Thai. AirBnB and OTAs don’t work in Russia anymore so he will have to book directly with the hotel for which he would need a credit card which doesn’t work anymore either. Hotels will want to see hard cash but in USD, EUR or GBP, which the average Russian can’t get anymore. 

Guess why Russian airlines stopped all international flights as of tomorrow. They know they wont have passengers anymore. 

Likewise not many foreigners will have an appetite traveling to Russia anytime soon. 

I agree with what you say but I also think through history, capitalism finds a way.  Is why I mentioned the Australian boycotts. People quickly found a way to bypass them. I have dealt with Russians in Thailand and although they are careful with their money, they are also very willing to spend on partying and designer goods  though the low rouble is a problem as you say.