Additional booster

jayboy

I would be interested to know what members think about a 2nd booster.I'm over 60 and have had my three shots (AZ,AZ and Pfizer). Haven't left Thailand since 2019 but plan a visit to Germany in September.Don't anticipate any issues as I'm "fully vaccinated." However on the personal health front, I'm aware that my Pfizer booster shot administered in February, will have largely worn off by September - though still providing good protection against hospitalization/death.

So my question is - does it make sense to get a 2nd booster before travel and is that even possible in Thailand?

No it does not make sense as current research indicates (from Israel) that there is limited benefit over the original booster and it seems that the thrid shot of mRNA vaccines may offer long term benefits past what was originally thought.

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

Closer to your travel date, you should check the destination country's rule regarding the validity period of the vaccination certificate in Germany.

That's a good point and I'll certainly check this nearer the time. I still feel that medical opinion needs to be clearer on the health issues given the declining protection after the booster - but it's early days for less than tentative conclusions I suppose.

To answer your other question, it is certainly possible in Thailand to get 4 jabs, although it may depend on what your first 3 were.  Your AZ/AZ/Pfizer mix is a good one so you may well be behind someone who started off with a couple of Sinovacs.

I've had a 2nd booster, but only because of being immuno- compromised.  Otherwise, it appears that there is not a great deal of value in an additional booster.  I know a large number of people who were fully vaccinated and boosted who got Covid and by-and-large they have made a quick recovery without any hospitalization or medical intervention.  Most didn't even see a doctor.  

When I called about getting the first booster, the doctor gave an emphatic yes.  When I asked about this one, he hesitated and then said "It wouldn't hurt". 

Quite a few of them are older and have a number of risk factors, but they still managed to get through it without too much distress.   So, if you are under 80, in reasonably good health, you should not require another booster. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:04 AM, Scott said:

I've had a 2nd booster, but only because of being immuno- compromised.  Otherwise, it appears that there is not a great deal of value in an additional booster.  I know a large number of people who were fully vaccinated and boosted who got Covid and by-and-large they have made a quick recovery without any hospitalization or medical intervention.  Most didn't even see a doctor.  

When I called about getting the first booster, the doctor gave an emphatic yes.  When I asked about this one, he hesitated and then said "It wouldn't hurt". 

Quite a few of them are older and have a number of risk factors, but they still managed to get through it without too much distress.   So, if you are under 80, in reasonably good health, you should not require another booster. 

My research (just reading material from official sources) suggests that it is recommended practice in countries like Israel, the US and the UK for a 2nd booster to be given after 6 months from date of 1st booster to vulnerable categories of people, and all people aged over 75.Thereafter it's expected there will be an annual jab.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jayboy said:

My research (just reading material from official sources) suggests that it is recommended practice in countries like Israel, the US and the UK for a 2nd booster to be given after 6 months from date of 1st booster to vulnerable categories of people, and all people aged over 75.Thereafter it's expected there will be an annual jab.

What you post is correct.  If you have no specific condition that would indicate a need for a 2nd booster, then there is no need.  There are two main parts of what a vaccine will do.  First it will provide antibodies to fight the specific disease and second, will stimulate memory cells which are in the background but can start manufacturing the antibodies when needed.  

The antibodies readily available will fade over time.   That's normal.  If we encounter the virus, the memory cells will kick in, but we may get a mild case.  As we get older -- especially over 80, the Thymus which is is involved in producing new cells has pretty much ceased to function.  The lymph system still does produce them, but the robust immunity we want and need isn't there.  A similar scenario is true for those with certain conditions. 

If you think you might need one, contact your doctor.  Depending on where you are, they won't give it to you unless you meet the criteria.