First British passport Application for Child (Does child need to attend?)

Hello,

Can't really find any straight answers to this question online..

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of getting their Thai Born child (now aged 11) their first British Passport in Bangkok?

Did the child have to attend in person?

Child has Thai Passport

Child has birth registration document from British Embassy (just after Birth) confirming his right to nationality.

Father is British, Grand-parents British (so the descent law doesn't apply)

Mother is Thai (Does she need to attend?)

Were any translations of Thai Birth Certificate etc.. required?

Application asks for town of Birth for Child  (Thai passport says Chonburi) but Banglamung (In Chonburi) is the real town of birth but does it confuse things?

Would appreciate any pointers/advice..

Thanks in Advance

We obtained a UK passport for our now five year old as my father was born in the UK.

As we live in the North we used Key Visa who advertise on this site and provided excellent service they provided all the information needed

On that occasion none of us attended any office all documents were sent by mail.

• Like 1

Just now, StevieAus said:

We obtained a UK passport for our now five year old as my father was born in the UK.

As we live in the North we used Key Visa who advertise on this site and provided excellent service they provided all the information needed

On that occasion none of us attended any office all documents were sent by mail.

I was not able to complete the post.

For her second passport we lodged the documents with VFS in Chiang Mai who also are helpful.

The UK passports office has a help line which you can contact by email they respond quickly.

I contacted them a couple of times as we had questions which they dealt with.

Suggest you contact them details are on the internet.

9 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Did the child have to attend in person?

No

Mother is Thai (Does she need to attend?)

No

Were any translations of Thai Birth Certificate etc.. required?

Yes

I have two children, so did it twice. It was quite painless and the Embassy staff were very helpful.

Mind you, this was over twenty years ago.

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

I have two children, so did it twice. It was quite painless and the Embassy staff were very helpful.

Mind you, this was over twenty years ago.

It's worth reminding members that the UK Embassy now play no part in the renewing or issuing of new passports.

• Like 2

Key Visa charge a fee of 5000 baht not including the fee, the passport fee is £85.50, you complete a U.K. Debit/Credit Card form, if you don’t have one the fee is 10000 baht, you provide all the documents required and they will submit them to VFS Global in Bangkok no need to attend.. If you don’t live in Pattaya they will do everything by email/post. I have submitted one for a Passport Renewal for our 6 year old son, you need to get a British Citizen or some one from an EU country to verify the photograph and sign the form to say how long they have known the parent for not the child. The current waiting time for a passport is 10 weeks, all the documents are sent to the U.K.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Key Visa charge a fee of 5000 baht not including the fee, the passport fee is £85.50, you complete a U.K. Debit/Credit Card form, if you don’t have one the fee is 10000 baht, you provide all the documents required and they will submit them to VFS Global in Bangkok no need to attend.. If you don’t live in Pattaya they will do everything by email/post. I have submitted one for a Passport Renewal for our 6 year old son, you need to get a British Citizen or some one from an EU country to verify the photograph and sign the form to say how long they have known the parent for not the child. The current waiting time for a passport is 10 weeks, all the documents are sent to the U.K.

I tempted to go with this option, thanks.

7 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Seems KeyVisa now want 10'000 THB (excluding Passport Fee), that is a bit steep!

5000 baht is for a renewal if you pay the Passport Fee of £88.52 using a CC/DC Form foI have just done my sons renewal this week.

A bit more involved in a first application with translations required as all documents have to be in English.. I did ours sons first one but I can’t remember the required documents.

This time I decided to let Key Visa to renew it, you have make an appointment at VFS Global to drop the documents of then go back and collect the passport, they won’t mail it to you. I live in Pattaya I don’t drive because I poor eyesight so it was either bus or taxi to Bangkok. 

Edited by Jumbo1968