Stomach pain

Badrabbit

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You sure? i had gastritis managed to stop it, of course if i continued to eat the things that caused it it would come back im sure

Yes.  I can improve on the symptoms and at times not have symptoms with what I eat, how much I eat and of course reduce stress.  All my endoscopies have confirmed the presence of moderate gastritis. I have had 4 endoscopies in a 10 year span and the gastritis diagnosis has been the same.  

I have not drank black coffee  in 10 years.  do not eat spicy food, no acidic foods like oranges or even raw onions, daily probiotics, and eat about 60 to 70 % of what a normal adult male eats at each meal.  This plan has been effective in reducing gastritis symptoms for more than 10 years.  Occasionally I slip up and eat something I should not have and pay the price for about a day or two.  Everyone reacts somewhat  differently to gastritis.  I knew a guy back in the US and he had gut wrenching pain  everyday.  He looked like a walking skeleton because he did not eat each much and had been on PPI’s for over 20 years.  I would prefer not be like him.

Edited by sqwakvfr

44 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Yes Pacific cross, my OPD is only 2500 per day 30 days per year, its very difficult to explain when you are not medically trained, some days I have no pain at all and feel great then it will return but I can control it with Tramadol 50mg.

Looking at a picture of the human body it seems that maybe I don't have Reflux maybe an infection in the large or small intestine.

When this first started approx 6 weeks ago it was so bad it was almost unbearable, it has got much better now, no more burning just intermittent pain, the last few days and nights have been good, my GF is amazing she tells me "fight it you are a strong man" I'm confident it will go soon.

What I meant about Insurance is that I worry if I make a big claim my premium will increase to something I can't afford the following year so I'll continue paying for myself untill something serious happens then I will have no choice but to use it.

You are better off than most of us in that you have OPD cover.

Claiming the OPD cover is not a big claim and is not going to affect your premiums. And 2,500 would usually cover a consultation at Bumrungrad (but not of course the airfare) if that proves necessary.

You had previously said the medication was not doing anything, but now you say the pain has gotten much better. Which is it?  If after taking these meds the pain is better but still sometimes there, that would be consistant with peptic ulcer disease or gastritis and an endoscopy would indeed be wise to confirm, so that duration of treatment etc can be decided.

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You are better off than most of us in that you have OPD cover.

Claiming the OPD cover is not a big claim and is not going to affect your premiums. And 2,500 would usually cover a consultation at Bumrungrad (but not of course the airfare) if that proves necessary.

You had previously said the medication was not doing anything, but now you say the pain has gotten much better. Which is it?  If after taking these meds the pain is better but still sometimes there, that would be consistant with peptic ulcer disease or gastritis and an endoscopy would indeed be wise to confirm, so that duration of treatment etc can be decided.

It has improved alot since it first started approx 6 weeks ago, the big pain and burning has gone, now it's pain on and off, my Diet has completely changed so I think before my Diet was bad.

Im Going to continue with the tablets I have and go back to the Hospital in 2 months, if its not gone I will have the Endoscopy and go from there. 

You are a Dr I am not, it's very difficult to describe symptoms to someone else, I will get there eventually, thanks to all for there comments, right now the pain has gone thanks to Tramadol 50mg.

I have checked on the last medication you got, deanxit. Not to be taken for too long. 

Those 2 months might be much too long.

Get from hospital medicines for a week or two (its always overpriced), the rest on weekly/monthly basis at local pharmacy.

Especially, if diagnosis is not clear, random medicines thrown in. You will end up over medicating or throwing remains to the bin.

When I go to hospital I ask doctor write medicines and dosage, then check on the net what they exactly are. Search the net for it

Edited by internationalism

You could try adjusting your diet to see whether certain foods/drinks are causing your symptoms. Could be milk, alcohol, coffee, carbs or something else. I've had stomach problems over the years, and giving up some kinds of food has helped me massively reduce the pain. Also in my case, almost any kind of medicine worsens my symptoms considerably, based on the few batches of meds I've got since this problem began.

6 minutes ago, underthesky said:

You could try adjusting your diet to see whether certain foods/drinks are causing your symptoms. Could be milk, alcohol, coffee, carbs or something else. I've had stomach problems over the years, and giving up some kinds of food has helped me massively reduce the pain. Also in my case, almost any kind of medicine worsens my symptoms considerably, based on the few batches of meds I've got since this problem began.

Yea I have changed my diet dramatically, no Alcohol, Coffee, Fizzy drinks, Chocolate plus many other things, just have to get on with it and keep trying to make it better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, Sheryl said:

That in no way suggests reflux.

It is also not properly described as "stomach" pain, it is abdominal pain (periumbilical abdominal pain, to be exact).

While this region is not near your stomach, sometimes gastritis pain is referred there, however in that the case there should usually have been some symptomatic relief from the meds you are on. Even though gastritis takes time to heal, reduction in gastric acid should lessen the pain. However an active ulcer i nthe stomach or duodenum might still be painful even on meds, and endoscopy is the best way to exclude this.

Other possible causes include :

Appendicitis, but if it were that your white blood count should be (or become) elevated. How long ago was the blood test? Might be worth repeating it.  Also, should have shown  on CT.

Pancreatitis (would be chronic not acute as otherwise you'd be much sicker) - regular CTs can sometimes miss this especially if done early in the disease.  Do you know if serum amylase and lipase were tested (and if so, how long ago?). And how long ago were the CTs?

Gall bladder issues (stones, inflammation) can sometimes cause pain in this location but if so would expect to have been visible on CT.

A problem with the mesenteric artery causing restricted blood flow - as you are not critically ill, would be of the chronic type. CT will often  miss this , especially if the radiologist was not specifically looking for it.  This is less likely as a cause but can't be totally ruled out as a cause.

In terms of what to do, I would suggest proceeding with the endoscopy but to discuss first with the doctor whether it might be wise to make it an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) which is a type of endoscopy better able to identify chronic inflammation of the pancreas.

If this fails you would best come to Bangkok, bringing all test results with you (including the imaging on disk) and see this US-trained, US-board certified doctor who is tops in the field:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Parit-Mekaroonkamol

You could also come and see him now, but if he then felt endoscopy was needed, it would cost much more to have it done at Burmungrad than it will at Mission.

I’ve seen Dr Parit and he’s excellent. Very thorough and professional..I’ve been suffering with stomach probs for some time and have had many tests with no found results until Dr. Parit pinpointed the problem and now all is good. 

Dr Parit did a biopsy of my lower intestine during an endoscope/colonoscopy test and found areas in my intestine that had no villi…so he recommended a gluten free diet that has proved to be the answer and will enable the villi to grow back