Can tourists still extend 30 days?

I have some friends who just flew in from Germany and they received 30 day stamps, so I'm assuming this is visa on arrival... 

Has anything changed with the 30 day extensions since covid began, or can they expect to receive the extension with no trouble? And do they have to wait 15 days to apply for the extension, or can they just go after a few days, as they are looking to be certain about their trip duration ASAP. 

Also where are the extensions done now, muang Thong thani or chaeng Watthana? 

Thanks in advance for your advice

People that just got within past 2-3 months here have had no problem getting extensions.

depends on office, but usually when you apply for new extension they erase what you had left and start your new 30 days.  
**^subject to office and even officer IN an office.  I've heard of some just getting it tacked on to their original end date.  But don't bank on it.

• Confused 1

From Germany it's a 30 day visa exempt entry (not visa on arrival which is 15 days). Visa exempt allows a 30 day extension of stay, which is added to the expiry date, not from the application date so no problem applying before. 

Pre-covid I got an extension 2 days after arrival stating I wanted to sign up for Thai language course, however it's much busier now with all the covid extensions so each office may be different.

In Feb I applied 2 weeks before expiry (Jomtien) and got the extension no problem

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

Can you apply for 30 day extension anywhere? I don't ever do TM30 mainly because before Covid I did METV for years and left and returned after 60 day periods.  I arrived on visa exempt yesterday  and was thinking to avoid penalty fee for not doing TM30 that I could book a hotel for example in Hua Hin for a night or two and then go to Hua Hin immigration or maybe Jomtien. Would this be ok? And since hotel would be reporting me after I check in I could go to that local office? 

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Can you apply for 30 day extension anywhere? I don't ever do TM30 mainly because before Covid I did METV for years and left and returned after 60 day periods.  I arrived on visa exempt yesterday  and was thinking to avoid penalty fee for not doing TM30 that I could book a hotel for example in Hua Hin for a night or two and then go to Hua Hin immigration or maybe Jomtien. Would this be ok? And since hotel would be reporting me after I check in I could go to that local office? 

"I don't ever do TM30 mainly because before Covid I did METV for years and left and returned after 60 day periods."

I don't understand what tge 60 days has to do with filing a TM30?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Immigration office may wish to see your TM30 when applying for extension. 

Even moreso if extension is "covid extension".

Indeed for 30 day extension to visa exempt or tourist visa, immigration may skip TM30 requirement.

Up to the office. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"I don't ever do TM30 mainly because before Covid I did METV for years and left and returned after 60 day periods."

With a METV good for 60 days each entry I had no reason to go to immigration ever so why would I bother with doing a TM30?  

9 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

With a METV good for 60 days each entry I had no reason to go to immigration ever so why would I bother with doing a TM30?  

I lived in Thailand for 7 years on annual extensions retirement and never ever did a TM30 or 90 day report due to frequent travel out of Thailand.

So yes with a METV and no reason to deal with immigration you would not need a TM30. However some folk obtain a 30 day extension to the 60 day stamp so the TM30 may be required by some offices to obtain extension. 

• Like 1