How are you with people?

On 3/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, CharlieH said:

Similar, don't like crowded places at all, can't wait to get out of there. As I got older I like people less and less and generally avoid them where possible.

Never been one for bars clubs etc in later life, don't drink so no appeal.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Great book

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8520610-quiet

I can only assume that you have already read this book.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Drifters don't have friends.

Friends are not people who would take a bullet for you.  Friends are people for whom you would take a bullet.  No-one would ask their friends to take a bullet.

I was talking about REAL friends, and a REAL friend would, IMO, take a bullet for their friend. If the people that one knows would not do so then IMO they are acquaintances, not real friends.

It's nothing to do with "asking" them to do so.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, georgegeorgia said:

she says when i retire to Asia wherever that may be then we will encounter large crowds

Large crowds in Asia are nothing like large crowds in a Western country, in my opinion.  You may have experienced this in BKK.  Compared to somewhere like London, they are just far easier to deal with.  Less annoying, less shouty, less "f you, me first", and so on.  I don't think it's fair to say you need to get used to crowds in your home country in order to be ready for crowds in Asia.

I realise that when things go south they can do so a lot quicker and with more dire consequences than you might expect back home (if the news is to be believed), but the average day-to-day thing is way calmer and less aggravating.

You're also right to avoid places with drunken tourists.  I hate that back home and have no desire to visit it in Thailand.

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Large crowds in Asia are nothing like large crowds in a Western country, in my opinion.  You may have experienced this in BKK.  Compared to somewhere like London, they are just far easier to deal with.  Less annoying, less shouty, less "f you, me first", and so on.  I don't think it's fair to say you need to get used to crowds in your home country in order to be ready for crowds in Asia.

I realise that when things go south they can do so a lot quicker and with more dire consequences than you might expect back home (if the news is to be believed), but the average day-to-day thing is way calmer and less aggravating.

You're also right to avoid places with drunken tourists.  I hate that back home and have no desire to visit it in Thailand.

Agree, I loathed Oxford Street in London because of the crowds. Avoided it as much as possible.

Didn't have that problem anywhere in Bkk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree, I loathed Oxford Street in London because of the crowds. Avoided it as much as possible.

Didn't have that problem anywhere in Bkk.

Was living there in 2016, didn't notice any crowds, just a normal city high street.

Brit high streets are empty these days, everyone shops online.

Edited by BritManToo

During my stay (circa '09), Oxford Street had a cheap Korean place off of it and the only real salad bar in the UK. Plus many, many opportunities to buy a refrigerator magnet shaped like a post box. Can't fault it.

Wouldn't go back to England even for free, but I hate that it's not doing well and probably won't again in my lifetime. I lived in a ye olde market town where they tried and failed with a useless high end mall and an arts center for Meatloaf tribute bands to play in (Meatloaf -like a god to the English). It's still in a downward spiral, but really, what else do they have in their town revival playbook?  Can't cut the business rates or create more parking.The high street is doomed.

Not their fault and a nowheresville in rural England is still a million times classier than one in Bible Belt-America. Most affluent Americans would swim through flames to live in England and they should let the ones who don't know 'em like I know 'em do it for a tax base. In a perfect world, Manchester would be the Yank Chiang Mai.

Edited by LaosLover

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Wouldn't go back to England even for free, but I hate that it's not doing well and probably won't again in my lifetime.

I agree that the UK is <deleted>, but I worked there for 10 years and IMO entirely self inflicted by terrible politicians that allowed thugs to roam, and did nothing to preserve the British way of life. They even allowed the destruction of visual London with revolting monstrocities like the Shard thing.

I went on a staff outing to beach towns such as Brighton, where cars have been allowed to destroy the ambience around the Palace, and another whose name I forget where a monstrous tower block and car park had been built right in the middle of the beach road which had become the haunt of druggies and criminals.

Sadly, the perfectly agreeable phrase and concept "preserve the British way of life" has been taken over by the same types who want to "make America Great Again". Much, much to preserve and esteem, but not from that mixed message group. Where I lived, fox hunting was the Brexit of its day. No middle ground allowed. I was (reluctantly) pro with the old locals, my wife was a complete Guardianista on the issue.

Compared to America, stuff like historic preservation and traffic management in downtown areas is light years ahead.

I was lucky to be a hard to pin down American, so I could go sip tea with a guy who had a turret on his house and swans in his moat and then go to Benidorm on a pub trip the next day. Most Americans think "They're just like us, but more Hugh Grant-ish". The English are (rightfully) appalled. Travel tip: As an American, never, ever say the word "quaint". Major eye-rolling.

So many shades of grey of landscape, class, accent and even food. Every 30 or so miles in any direction, England changes a bit. Whereas in the states, you have to drive 6-8 hours to notice any difference. No other place is as culturally dense -and then you have two other fairly foreign feeling place cheek and jowl. Don't miss it, (at all) but I am grateful for those years -and grateful to be half-English.

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Sadly, the perfectly agreeable phrase and concept "preserve the British way of life" has been taken over by the same types who want to "make America Great Again".

My comment was confined to having a non woke BBC that was trusted to be impartial on the news; a strong military, especially the navy, not the pale shadow of it's former glory; a strong manufacturing base instead of importing junk from China and cheap disposable clothing from sweatshops in Asia; and respect for the cops and incarceration for long periods of time for the bad people.

I am well aware of Britain's history, especially with regard to Ireland to want a lot of it. I also don't care for the rotten class system.

Britain used to make all it's own military gear, instead of importing it like the planes to put on it's 2 aircraft carriers. Sad days indeed.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

How does all this pro/anti - UK/USA quasi mudslinging attack/hyperbole dovetail into the OP.....?

Total train wreck or just a slight derailment.....

Edited by pgrahmm

On 3/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I would be interested to hear from any opposite here who are extroverts ?

I was a bit of an extrovert when I was younger and was often called "the life and soul of the party", and I loved telling jokes and being the centre of attention.

But that was then – – – now I have changed, because I much prefer a less crowded "venue", whether it be a bar or a restaurant and would just as soon sit in a bar or restaurant on my own, watching the world go by. That being said, I only go out to the nightlife in the evening once per week, and certainly don't drink during the daytime.

I cringe when I go by a bar here at say 10:30 AM, and see the potbellied, wifebeater-T-shirt wearing farangs plonked on their stools, and wonder why they travel so far, just to sit at a bar and drink beer.

I used to have to attend many functions in my business life, sometimes where I had to do presentations, and mix with the business folk afterwards, although it was part of my role, later in life did become a little arduous, so I suppose the change from then until now was gradual, but certainly prefer my own company now, with the occasional night out to catch up with a visiting friend and/or to have a meal somewhere. 

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess you've never been a real friend to anyone then. Guys in war do so all the time.

Guys in the military are preconditioned, trained and it is drummed into them to take a bullet for their fellow soldier in time of war.

It would be seen as cowardly not to do so.

Edited by userabcd

19 hours ago, userabcd said:

Guys in the military are preconditioned, trained and it is drummed into them to take a bullet for their fellow soldier in time of war.

It would be seen as cowardly not to do so.

Not in the military I joined during the Vietnam war ( I wasn't infantry so didn't serve there ), and I certainly wouldn't have for someone I didn't like.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:10 PM, LaosLover said:

Wouldn't go back to England even for free, but I hate that it's not doing well and probably won't again in my lifetime. I lived in a ye olde market town where they tried and failed with a useless high end mall and an arts center for Meatloaf tribute bands to play in (Meatloaf -like a god to the English). It's still in a downward spiral, but really, what else do they have in their town revival playbook?  Can't cut the business rates or create more parking. The high street is doomed.

Maybe time to give up on ye olde Englande and give Aberdeen a shot?

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/local/4018190/union-street-decline-arrested-new-mobile-phone-stores-have-boosted-shop-numbers/

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

I cringe when I go by a bar here at say 10:30 AM, and see the potbellied, wifebeater-T-shirt wearing farangs plonked on their stools, and wonder why they travel so far, just to sit at a bar and drink beer.

Why do you go then?

What exactly do you cringe at? What they are or what you have become?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
On 3/23/2022 at 3:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess you've never been a real friend to anyone then. Guys in war do so all the time.

Normal people buy beers

For their friends only or just anybody?

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

It's nice to sit outside and drink beer every day.

Something you can't do often in the UK because of the weather.

10:53 ........ time for my second wine cooler of the day.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's nice to sit outside and drink beer every day.

Something you can't do often in the UK because of the weather.

10:53 ........ time for my second wine cooler of the day.

Got that right. On the front patio with the added bonus that my soon-to-be 5 year-old is now strong enough to bring two cans of icy cold Leo at a time from the mom 'n' pop shop next door.

Life's good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Why do you go then?

What exactly do you cringe at? What they are or what you have become?

Not quite sure what you're getting at with your post, however if you read it carefully you will find that I "don't go"!!

I was merely mentioning that when I drive past, I see these individuals, who travel halfway round the world to sit at a bar at 10:30 AM, wondering why they do it, and how come they all look about the same shape, and with the same unnerving lack of "dress sense", and to me that's cringeworthy.

Nothing more and nothing less.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Not quite sure what you're getting at with your post, however if you read it carefully you will find that I "don't go"!!

I was merely mentioning that when I drive past, I see these individuals, who travel halfway round the world to sit at a bar at 10:30 AM, wondering why they do it, and how come they all look about the same shape, and with the same unnerving lack of "dress sense", and to me that's cringeworthy.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Seriously?

Perhaps they do it because they can't sit outside back home because it's too cold, and after they have imbibed they go back to a pleasant young companion which they also can't do back home.

Perhaps they'd find your attitude cringeworthy.

• Thanks 1