Terrible mosquito problem in and around the house - how to get rid of them?

SS1

I have a crazy amount of mosquitoes around my house. I think it's because there is a greywater ditch that runs just past the house fence, giving them a perfect breeding ground. 

There are such insane amounts of them, that despite having screens on all windows and doors, a dozen will always get in when you open the door. Being outdoors is difficult, unless covering yourself in mosquito spray or lighting up multiple incense sticks. I also seem to be somewhat allergic to them, as I get massive, long-lasting bites from the tiniest little mosquitoes. 

Does anyone have advice on how to reduce their population? I love this house, but it's really becoming a problem. 

I bought one of those Potroti mosquito traps from Lazada. It was pretty effective at catching them, but not enough to make a difference in their overall amount. I'm not sure if I bought 5 of these, whether it would still make big enough of a difference.

Alternatively, I'm thinking maybe spraying some hardcore pesticide around the whole yard and around the house? also poisoning that little stream that runs next to the house. 

Any ideas? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

drain/fill the ditch

What makes you think he can do that with a ditch he does not own?

3 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Additional thought , put some frogs in the klong , they love mosquitoes.

Love to make a lot of noise too.

8 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Love to make a lot of noise too.

Somebody eat those after first croak! Even like my wife say that one frog is not frog coz they not eat that! So i ask her: so what is that is that a cat? Even you not eat that is still frog!

I assume it must be standing water if it is breeding a lot of mosquitos. You might check into dunks that float on the water to kill the larvae or just toss in some pellets of mosquito larvae killer. Not sure but theoretically they both release a bacteria that is toxic only to mosquitos.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bbko said:

Eliminate their breeding area, either drain/fill the ditch or add enough dish soap to the water to help kill them.

Then you killing or disturb the living habitat to those who eat mosquitoes. Not an good idea. 

Is the water so bad that mosquito eating fish can't live there? Try adding fresh water to improve the water quality and add fish.

We living in the middle of rice fields, so not much outside after dark. But it is not bad if I light up a few coils, and also been thinking making mosquito proofed balcony with screens to keep them out.

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

You do not say whether you live in a village or town. I live in a village and had pipes laid to carry  the water course beside the house thus covering it over. Forbye we have a couple of village ladies who patrol after every rainfall and report to the Ampeu who if. necessary, send a team to spray any persistent standing water. Speak to your Paw Luang about that.

Additional thought , put some frogs in the klong , they love mosquitoes.

Much better to put a mesh screen either end of your property within the Ditch and fill the thing with small cheap fish that will eat the Larvae of the Mosquitos.

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

g'day mate, do these things actually work against mosquitoes? a mate of mine reckons they don't but he hasn't actually bought and tested one ????

They make noise to make you happy - but 90 percent of the time it is not killing what you want killed.  Not nearly as effective as PORTOTI PR-25MB units (but be aware there are fakes being sold).  Not cheap but well made of good materials and long lasting (if a wasp clogs the fan simple removal gets it going again).  They trap/kill a lot of msq each night and if outside can reduce population quite quickly.  OP - I use one outside and one inside and no need for wands since doing so a year or two ago.  Having several outside at night should help a lot.  But in your case might want to check for the CO2 type systems that use gas smell to attract - they are not common here however so will likely be expensive and perhaps hard to obtain gas.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

g'day mate, do these things actually work against mosquitoes? a mate of mine reckons they don't but he hasn't actually bought and tested one ????

I have tried several of these mosquito killers inside and outside, and this one actually worked inside, but not much help outside. The only thing helping outside is smoke or mosquito coils.

IMG_20220313_090024.jpg

• Thanks 2

I'm a big fan (sic) of those ultra violet mosquito traps had some in our offices for years. Left them running 24/7. 

Outside is easy just buy a big fan so the mosquitos cannot fly in a high wind. 

The standing water can be treated with Mosquito Dunks which are on Shopee but not cheap.

• Like 1

I don't think those traps work out side. The just call out for more to come over. Inside they are pretty good. I would be more inclined to think foliage may be the problem. I have a low going plant ground cover that the mosquitos just love, Stays moist under the leaves. If I go near that area, they swarm. I have planted things they say repels them (lemongrass, Where Citronella comes from) but not sure if it has done any good.

If it is standing water, I have read that putting just a spoonful of oil (maybe cooking or olive oil?) in the water creates a very thin film on the surface which stops the mosquito larvae. Stops them from doing what, I don't know. Escaping the water? Breathing? But it is supposed to work.

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Yes they do. The higher wattage works in daylight but the lower wattage works better in a darkened room.

IMG_20220313_112438.thumb.jpg.ec339fa332b93af563ab1f6a6e455af9.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

If it is standing water, I have read that putting just a spoonful of oil (maybe cooking or olive oil?) in the water creates a very thin film on the surface which stops the mosquito larvae. Stops them from doing what, I don't know. Escaping the water? Breathing? But it is supposed to work.

This is correct - a film of oil prevents the mosquito larvae (wrigglers) from breathing , because the altered surface tension prevents them pushing out their ‘siphon’ or breathing tube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bill97 said:

What makes you think he can do that with a ditch he does not own?

I didn't read where he described it someone else's private property.  If it's public land and he's attempting to stop mosquitos from breeding I doubt anyone will raise concern.

Add some small fish, or soap or oil or fill/drain the ditch and the breeding will come under control.

Edited by bbko

Contact your local moo baan, tell them of the problem and they sholkd send a guy around with what can be best described as a white fog blower. It takes about 30 minutes or so and it will fumagate the entire area ! and wipe them out.

They may return but not for awhile, then just repeat the exercise if need be.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

If it's public land

1 hour ago, bbko said:

I didn't read where he described it someone else's private property.  If it's public land and he's attempting to stop mosquitos from breeding I doubt anyone will raise concern.

Add some small fish, or soap or oil or fill/drain the ditch and the breeding will come under control.

Bla bla speculation.  Plug it since you do not know about ditches or ditch water in Thailand.

You can not drain or fill them, you do not own them,  a lot of people have an interest in them and associated rights.  

• Haha 1

Thanks for the suggestions. 

To clarify about the ditch; it's partly on public land and also on private (which is more of a swamp, a vacant land not taken care of). The ditch alongside my house is in between the fence of my house and a moobaan fence (my house is not in a moobaan). Some drain pipes from houses lead into the ditch, so draining or blocking it would not be possible. 

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Bla bla speculation.  Plug it since you do not know about ditches or ditch water in Thailand.

You can not drain or fill them, you do not own them,  a lot of people have an interest in them and associated rights.  

555, I've only lived in Thailand for 15 years and with my wife and I, we own our house and I love doing DIY stuff around the home/garden/land, and have often hopped over one of my walls to tend to the neglected land and taken care of whatever problem over there has become my problem.

I've given several suggestions on how to help the OP, I haven't seen his land, but at least I'm trying to help,  you sir have given zero suggestions.  Have nice day/night.

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

These are quite new and I have one in my bedroom...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/house-worth-hw-k502-i1439394832-s3734862267.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.19.65d317282P25fc&search=1&freeshipping=1

However it is a little to bright to sleep to so I only use it in the evenings. In the night I switch over to a Yage YG-5623. Bedroom only. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yage-yg-5623-1955-2551-8-x55-x5-i111934616-s114559947.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.25947c04WkJEsk&search=1

• Like 1