Government Dismisses Claims of Thai Fuel Prices Being Among the Highest Globally

webfact

81b7a7cf517cb1065b277913c8bf6f60_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has dismissed rumors alleging that oil prices in Thailand are among the most expensive in the world. It also urged individuals of questionable intent not to manipulate information for the purposes of sowing public confusion.

Pump prices for benzene and gasohol on Thursday (10 Mar) rose for the 18th time since the start of the year. The price of diesel is currently capped, although it had earlier been raised eight times.

Prime Minister’s Office spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has been closely monitoring global energy prices. The issue has become an urgent agenda for the government, as due to being a direct cost for manufacturing and transportation.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The premier has consulted economic advisors and the National Energy Policy Committee to formulate practical response measures and minimize the impact on the public.

Thanakorn said high oil prices brought about by the Russia-Ukraine crisis are a problem facing all countries around the globe, urging people to keep this in mind while working to navigate the situation.

The spokesperson added that Thailand has experienced expensive oil many times in the past, most often due to external factors. He noted that pump prices in Thailand are still lower than those of neighboring countries.

Thanakorn said the prime minister has a clear policy to cap the diesel price and reduce the diesel excise tax. The premier has also assigned various agencies to seek out additional energy sources.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

For once they are correct! I would expect them to be among the lowest globally. 

They should be but what is needed to know is the price the oil companies sell it for, country wise, and then what is the government taxation on it per litre, again by country. Only then can you get a true comparison of actual costs and the taxation "take". My guess is that Thailand has one of the highest profit margins per litre, excluding government taxation. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

But that is not the statement of the OP headline. The price to the customer is what he pays per liter..... maybe convert to USD to put it on a level playing field. Two of the cheapest places I bought fuel were Saudi and Venezuela.... but at 34 THB/lire for my fuel save diesel here, it sure is a long way down from the 69 baht equivalent being paid in the UK.

Re-read it. It states "The government has dismissed rumors alleging that oil prices in Thailand are among the most expensive in the world"

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

They should be but what is needed to know is the price the oil companies sell it for, country wise, and then what is the government taxation on it per litre, again by country. Only then can you get a true comparison of actual costs and the taxation "take". My guess is that Thailand has one of the highest profit margins per litre, excluding government taxation. 

You should do the little research for the answer...not guess.

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

And they are correct.........it is nonsense. Half the price of most European Countries. 

Post the figures I asked for earlier to prove your point, otherwise you are talking conjectural nonsense.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

You should do the little research for the answer...not guess.

You should read my post again. I was asking for the actual figures.   My guess on it being one of the highest was just exactly that, my guess, but only those true figures will give the answer. However given the net working margins on many products in Thailand then I suspect my guess is not far out, again only actual figures can determine that.

Just now, jacko45k said:

I just posted numbers, twice the price in UK. Talking about taxation levels is irrelevant, what a person pays at the pump is the marker. Babbling on about profit margins and what the oil companies sell it for is just looking for an argument. It is 34 baht per liter, cheap as chips.  I can fill up for about 1500 baht..... not bad at all. Get some coffee.

What a nonsense post as clearly you can not even comprehend the original statement in the article. Never mind carry on with your deflections. Facts are always difficult to comprehend fully by some cases and it seems you are no exception. Have a nice day.

• Confused 2

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

but at 34 THB/lire for my fuel save diesel here,

Not sure what you mean by "fuelsave"?

Diesel B7 at Bangchak Pattaya on Friday was 29.96 per litre - 34 seems expensive........

To fill my truck was 1800 baht.........60L give or take.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Re-read it. It states "The government has dismissed rumors alleging that oil prices in Thailand are among the most expensive in the world"

That's the headline but the article is about the price at the pump. Thailand does not set the price of crude oil, that is done on  the open market.

1 hour ago, happysoul said:

Still cheap compared to Europe (about half the price).

treibstoffpreise-europa.pdf 140.12 kB · 3 downloads

And PTT regional prices can be found here !

Edit : did a print screen of pdf...EuFuelPrice.jpg.50357d3006e1e3db10c86112d761fff7.jpg

In the Europa figures you can see evidence of another possible rip off in the price differences for each country between 95 and 98 fuel. Some countries almost the same price and others nearly 10% difference.

2 hours ago, carabaothai said:

We don't must compare the price for one liter in all countries but how many minutes people have to work to pay one liter.

For example in France the price is now more more expensive than in 1973 BUT

in 1973 a French had to work 19 minutes 30 secondes to pay one liter. (minimum wage)

Now only 9 minutes.. so the liter is less expensive now than 50 years ago.

How many minutes must work a Thai people to pay a liter? Around 60 minutes so it is more than 6x more expensive than in France ????????

The French have always been lazy, i could knock out a litre of gas in 10 mins max.

Compared to minimum wage the Thai fuel prices are high, but calculated in money many countries have higher prices. In my Danish home country they pay 16-17 DKK for one liter fuel - diesel is at present a tiny bit more expensive than gasoline - which equals to about $2.50 or in the level of 85 baht; prices might even be little higher today.

A Thai worker on minimum pay need to work close to 1 hour to pay for 1 liter gasoline - i.e. 330 baht / 8 = 41.25 baht - while a Dane paid the lowest salary level needs to work 10-15 minutes after deduction of income tax to pay for 1 liter gasoline, in spite of the Danish fuel price in money is double as high.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I just posted numbers, twice the price in UK. Talking about taxation levels is irrelevant, what a person pays at the pump is the marker. Babbling on about profit margins and what the oil companies sell it for is just looking for an argument. It is 34 baht per liter, cheap as chips.  I can fill up for about 1500 baht..... not bad at all. Get some coffee.

Several other people have also posted global "facts and figures".  I am sure Excel will be along any moment now to thank them for their information and apologise for being wrong and offensive.  Any moment now.   He's just busy with his coffee, he'll be here soon.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But that is not the statement of the OP headline. The price to the customer is what he pays per liter..... maybe convert to USD to put it on a level playing field. Two of the cheapest places I bought fuel were Saudi and Venezuela.... but at 34 THB/lire for my fuel save diesel here, it sure is a long way down from the 69 baht equivalent being paid in the UK.

More than that near me. equivalent to 78 baht per litre at BP garages. It's going up almost daily

• Thanks 1