Russian Tourists Struggle to Leave Thailand Amid Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Ahhh look it's you again. Last week you were telling people on covid extensions they shouldnt be here, now this week your saying Russians shouldn't be here..im sure the thoughts of free visas for Russians will give u many a sleepless night  ????

Many of russians want get help because they dont qualifi for this visa.They have founds and they can fly back home.In the TAT helpline in phuket only 15 russian/ucrains have called them

Edited by stigar
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is a condition of entry into Thailand that you have a ticket out of the country, a return ticket is the normal way to satisfy this requirement.

That airlines servicing the Russian market are cancelling flights says a lot of their expectations of recouping costs. A state sponsored  repatriation flight is often the norm in these sort of situations, unfortunately those who could make the needed decisions are focused on other events.

Those stuck in Thailand are suffering a number of issues beyond their control, they cannot get access to their funds, their currency has become almost worthless and no one wants to take them home. All caused by decisions made by those in power.

I hope they remember this when they get home.

Over a 35 year period, and maybe entering Thailand over 100 times, I was never asked for an onward ticket, I believe that has always been a requirement, though unenforced.

I was once made to buy an onward ticket (to Penang) before they would check me in for a flight from Brisbane to Bangkok. (I mailed the ticket back to them and they refunded the money back to the same account).

17 hours ago, Letseng said:

Why can't Russian government fly them out?

Only if the charter planes are wholly Russian owned/leased. Many Russian civil aircraft are leased from International companies and with the current restrictions, these planes could be impounded by the leasing companies once in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Actually I could care less who's here for what. It irritates me to high heavens how so many are accusing Russians to be indifferent while they live among one of the most complicit and ignorant people on the planet while prostrating and forgiving crimes and murders to people in power. 

The hypocrisy of epic proportions.

hear! hear!

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, baboon said:

Your post sounds a bit cruel, but perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick.

Why not just leave them be until there is an agreement between Thailand and the Russian Federation as to what should be done?

& who do you propose pays for their extended holiday ?

Their country is not being invaded by another,   there is nobody shelling their homes or Hospitals. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello ,

personally if I was Russian , I’d say F !  Putin !! And Russia  And plant my roots in a country with Democracy and Freedom !! 

Which country would that be?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martand said:

Zelensky thinks about his interests and those of his people, which yes, makes him a good leader, leaving aside how he has governed his country before the war. He has also managed to convince, or trap, many Western leaders. But his insistent appeals to a Western intervention or to the no-fly zone, that is to the mathematical certainty of the third world war, puts him at the limit of irresponsibility.

Whilst per some accounts he was mentioned in the latest Pandora Papers - together with his friends from the entertainment business, now his closest assistants - having stashed away big money to Islands, quite some time ago before his election.

But are we to believe that? We know that he, similarly as his predecessors, has declared a war to corruption...

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Yep, and the Russians I know living here do not like Putin or the war. 

The Russian soldiers are the same people as the Russians here in Thailand, or anywhere else, there are aiming at and killing innocent women and children when they could easily miss them. How many of these Russian people if they were conscripted into the army would have taken part in the invasion of The Ukrain and deliberately shot their bullets away from these Ukrainian women and children?

Nobody needs to kill anyone in any war unless in self defense.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Maybe because it's an English Forum?

No excuses, there are loads on TV/AN members who are not Native English Speakers who could easily come on here and condemn Putin and the soldiers who are doing the killing. when are we going to get the first one?

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The Russian soldiers are the same people as the Russians here in Thailand, or anywhere else, there are aiming at and killing innocent women and children when they could easily miss them. How many of these Russian people if they were conscripted into the army would have taken part in the invasion of The Ukrain and deliberately shot their bullets away from these Ukrainian women and children?

Nobody needs to kill anyone in any war unless in self defense.

take a trip over the border to mai lai  of calley fame or abu graib a little further afield perhaps,ive never heard anything quite so rediculous in all my life.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Correct - my mistake, my apologies, but I don't think many Russians will (a) know about the Forum, (b) write English well enough to make a sensible post, and (c) have the time or the inclination to "participate" in the discussion - I think their priority is to get home!

There should be at least a few if they are here in their thousands.

Aeroflot organizes special flights from Istanbul and Antalya (Turkey), as well as Phuket (Thailand) for the return of Russian tourists who are abroad. This was reported in the representative Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

https://astv.ru/news/society/2022-03-15-aeroflot-15-marta-organizoval-specrejsy-dlya-vyvoza-turistov-iz-turcii-i-tailanda

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

They could go overland doesn’t the Silk Road go to Russia

Over land it's probably gonna be a 7,000 (?) mile journey (to where most Russians live), not really 'practical'. (And even then, maybe their plastic cards no longer work!?).

Edited by Andrew65

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

It's a drop of 40%, not exactly "toilet paper" as some say.

THB/RUB was 2.57 before the invasion, it is 3.66 today.

It's more a matter of being able to pay.

At 29 satang to the ruble their small notes are pretty much toilet paper. Cash only, no electronic transfers, and apparently the largest Russian note is 5000, so that’s 145 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Over a 35 year period, and maybe entering Thailand over 100 times, I was never asked for an onward ticket, I believe that has always been a requirement, though unenforced.

I was once made to buy an onward ticket (to Penang) before they would check me in for a flight from Brisbane to Bangkok. (I mailed the ticket back to them and they refunded the money back to the same account).

I have similar experiences : never been asked when entering Thailand (numerous times) in some 20 years. But been asked at least twice to show an onward ticket to be allowed to check in flying to Thailand (from Europe).

1 minute ago, gejohesch said:

I have similar experiences : never been asked when entering Thailand (numerous times) in some 20 years. But been asked at least twice to show an onward ticket to be allowed to check in flying to Thailand (from Europe).

I was asked a few times at Heathrow too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Letseng said:

Why can't Russian government fly them out? Thai airspace isn't closed to flights from Russia.

Because Russian authorities are saving up to bomb and murder in Zukraine .. You shouldn’t trouble them but a note says tell TAT to add a couple of million to the visitor numbers “;0)

In my opinion, the Thai Government should take position for Ukraine.

Fact is most Russian  who are able to travel and ignore the truth of Putin attack.

Fact is, I have seen a lot of Russian decadent behavior. 

Fact is, many people ignore the truth of the attack on the Ukraine.

Fact is, Ukraine is a free democratic country, which is recognized by the UN. 

Fact is, Russia/Putin agreed to the independence of the Ukraine when the withdraw all nukes.

All this makes it a criminal act of war. The most people must be Putin supporter, otherwise the would raise there voices. But since this not happen, all these Russian need to fee the sanctions.

Do not forget!!!!! Putin let bomb and murder civilians!!!!! Over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, baboon said:

Your post sounds a bit cruel, but perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick.

Why not just leave them be until there is an agreement between Thailand and the Russian Federation as to what should be done?

If they have no access to funds they are not wanted in Thailand .