Obtaining a tourist visa in Phnom Pehn right now?

How is the situation with applying for tourist visas in PP right now?

My situation: American passport, entered on visa exempt before COVID-19, followed by amnesty and then converting to Smart-S. when that finished, moved to COVID extension. Left for PP 2 days ago when the COVID extension finished. (prior to this, have a history of 3-month non-Bs and a non-ED, all from PP).

I have over 1k USD in a Cambodian bank account and ~250k THB in Thai bank accounts. I could, theoretically, print out my account balances that show I have enough in Thailand, and I could book an onward ticket. But, I'm not sure if they are denying people these days.

I already applied for and obtained my ThaiPass approval to return at the end of this week. I was planning to enter on visa exempt, and then applying for a different type of visa inside Thailand that I was not able to do because of my previous Smart-S. But now I am thinking it would buy me some extra time if I can obtain a tourist visa.

I'm just not sure if 1) people are being rejected right now in Cambodia with similar histories to mine (and I don't want to waste money on a visa application or have any denials in my passport) and 2) if I would even have the sufficient documentation (print outs of my account balances - I should have asked for something proper before I came to Cambodia. But I can still go to my Cambodian bank tomorrow and get a statement - but it's just over 1k USD). 

I don't know about getting the tourist visa in PP but my friend needed an onward ticket 

to board his flight back from Phnom Penh to BKK. He did not plan ahead for this and had some issue at the airport with his credit card so had to have somebody in Thailand buy a ticket for him online while he was waiting. 

OP, ...It's a difficult situation.

Prior to covid people were being rejected entry into Thailand with history of continuous stay in los.

PP had reports of returning pp with tourist visa in pp with "cancelled stamp". 

At some stage various consulates were imposing a limit of 2 tourist visas. 

Personally I would try and obtain a TV while in PP rather than return visa exempt. 

It's best to use an agent in Phnom Penh for visa. 

For others in similar situation, thinking a longer stay outside of Thailand is a good plan.

Edited by DrJack54

Here is the list of requirements for a single entry tourist visa from the embassy website.

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-tr?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

People were having problems with back to back tourist visa application before covid 19. I don't think you will have a problem getting one now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bkk7 said:

how would i go about finding one?

Yes, along the river front. There is one block that has several of them. Before the Pandemic I always used the same agent,for over 10 years. The name of the agency is 3 letters starting with a an L(something like LTK or LPK) He was able to get a TV without you having an outbound ticket. 

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Yes, along the river front. There is one block that has several of them. Before the Pandemic I always used the same agent,for over 10 years. The name of the agency is 3 letters starting with a an L(something like LTK or LPK) He was able to get a TV without you having an outbound ticket. 

Any ballpark on cost for that service in baht/$$ etc ?

40 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Any ballpark on cost for that service in baht/$$ etc ?

Wasn't expensive. About 15 $ on top of the visa fee itself. The faster you want to get it back the more expensive it was at times, at other times the embassy would not allow express service. The Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is one of the worst embassy I know of. They constantly keep changing their rules and regulations. For years they didn't allow non - Cambodian to go through agents. Anyway, after 2 years of suspension due to Covid, hopefully this will be a new Era of more efficient service.

• Thanks 1