Are airlines' test requirements same as US government?

Enzian

I'm considering flying BKK-SFO around April 20. I'm sitting on 475,000 United frequent flyer points (mostly from a credit card), so booking through United, though it would likely be a Japanese or Korean first leg, or both, would be my first choice. The US CDC site seems to be saying that a rapid aka antigen aka ATK test is all that is currently needed for entry to the US for a citizen. This is important because although with 4 vax I just got over an extremely mild case of Covid a week ago and could test positive on a RT-PCR test for weeks to come, (Also my US doctor will write a letter, but that's problematic because he won't see me in person.) The United web site seems to say the requirement to board is the same as the US government's requirement to enter. Does anyone have experience with this lately or know somewhere to get more info? Thanks.

Antigen test is acceptable.

Most airlines enforce the (final) destination country's requirements.

Are you a U.S. citizen?

The CDC site has sections for citizens and non-citizens.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

• Thanks 1

I agree with the above..  Rightly or wrongly, as it stands today, the test requirement to enter the US are lower than it is in other countries where a test is still mandatory.

Commonly the only test accepted is the RT-PCR, which is also commonly the most expensive test option.. the rapid antigen test that is one of the acceptable test by the US’ CDC is a lot cheaper and can be completed nearly “while you wait” which is good considering the US’ test time is now only “1 day” and not 72 hours like thailand at the moment.

So…. it’s my opinion that right now, it’s far easier to enter the US than it is thailand as well as most countries where pre-departure tests are still mandatory, just based on the tests that the CDC allows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am facing the same issue - having had a mild and “unreported” C infection in Thailand I may very well test positive with required ATK or PCR test. (Both tests require hospital or lab endorsement.). 

Does anyone know if a “Recovery Certificate” can be obtained in Thailand?  Apparently such documents are issued in USA and Europe to aid travelers who are recovered but likely to test positive.

1 hour ago, NokYai611 said:

I am facing the same issue - having had a mild and “unreported” C infection in Thailand I may very well test positive with required ATK or PCR test. (Both tests require hospital or lab endorsement.). 

Does anyone know if a “Recovery Certificate” can be obtained in Thailand?  Apparently such documents are issued in USA and Europe to aid travelers who are recovered but likely to test positive.

Yes, Dr. Donna at MedConsult can issue one - see the attached photos.

Screenshot_20220316-182958.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-182949.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, mtls2005 said:

Antigen test is acceptable.

Most airlines enforce the (final) destination country's requirements.

Are you a U.S. citizen?

The CDC site has sections for citizens and non-citizens.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

I'm flying to the states on April 20 as well. I was researching it today and I thought only a pcr test one day before is what I'd needed and even then they were talking of specific type of approved tests and that you should bring it with you ( it's too late for me now ) so when you arrive you can do it the day before. I breezed through your link and it talks  about LEAVING the USA not entering. Maybe I missed something. 
DO you or anyone else know exactly what test you need? If ATK which exact one can you buy in BKK?  And do you just bring the cartridge showing neg to airport?  Seems strange it could be anyones result. Things I read today made it sound like you have to do a conference call by video with someone watching you. There are sooo many different links on line and I went through at least 10 today and really thought only specific tests ( pcr) are accepted. ??

4 hours ago, new2here said:

I agree with the above..  Rightly or wrongly, as it stands today, the test requirement to enter the US are lower than it is in other countries where a test is still mandatory.

Commonly the only test accepted is the RT-PCR, which is also commonly the most expensive test option.. the rapid antigen test that is one of the acceptable test by the US’ CDC is a lot cheaper and can be completed nearly “while you wait” which is good considering the US’ test time is now only “1 day” and not 72 hours like thailand at the moment.

So…. it’s my opinion that right now, it’s far easier to enter the US than it is thailand as well as most countries where pre-departure tests are still mandatory, just based on the tests that the CDC allows.

You are saying you take the test at the airport AFTER arriving in the USA? I don't get it? Hundreds of people can be landing at Kennedy airport in the same hour!  Can you be clearer on this? 

• Confused 1

If you're flying United, call United and ask what they require to board their aircraft.

Anything else is guessing.  Maybe a good guess, but why risk it?

Edit:  Keep in mind, the requirements to get on an aircraft in one country may be different than the requirements to get off the plane in the other.  Or maybe not.  But again, why risk it?

Edited by impulse

31 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

If ATK which exact one can you buy in BKK?  And do you just bring the cartridge showing neg to airport?

My understanding is that you can only use an ATK test if purchased from specific vendors in the US.  The ATK tests in the US allowed include virtual assisted testing.  Basically, you connect to a site with your phone or computer and use your camera to video conference with someone who watches you do the test correctly. They then look at the results and issue you a certificate you can print and use to fly.

If your flight starts in the US, you can buy several kits and bring them with you and use one internationally for the return flight.  But you can't buy them and have them shipped internationally.

The United site has the details.  https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/restrictions-map.html  Enter in your origin and destination and it'll pop up all the requirements.  From that site....

image.thumb.png.7f56139f626c14f07aa524a5753c7b8f.png

image.thumb.png.36b5effd19f81864b0e4ccd5d8ffa5f0.png

You can find more information here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/covid-testing.html#to_us

image.thumb.png.caf6815b98807a8141dd22f45d066b65.png

And here's information from United on ordering tests (if your flight starts in the US)....

image.thumb.png.bf27f7f373e98a91f03eb26ac47a3383.png

Edited by asiacurious
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You are saying you take the test at the airport AFTER arriving in the USA? I don't get it? Hundreds of people can be landing at Kennedy airport in the same hour!  Can you be clearer on this? 

I don't think that's what they were saying, though if that is what they were saying, they are wrong.  The only ATK tests that can be used must be purchased in the US (and delivered to the US).  And they must be taken at most, 24 hours BEFORE you first departing flight.  See my previous post above for more information on this.

55 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

I don't think that's what they were saying, though if that is what they were saying, they are wrong.  The only ATK tests that can be used must be purchased in the US (and delivered to the US).  And they must be taken at most, 24 hours BEFORE you first departing flight.  See my previous post above for more information on this.

I'm sorry but you are confusing me. When you say before your departing flight do you mean from Thailand to USA?  Second thousands of people were never in the USA to get/buy these tests and will be returning home tomorrow/ next day etc.  I live in USA I am here right now. I'm returning April 20. What you just texted means I can't return home. There HAVE to be errors in your post. Thank you for replying but you are making absolutely no sense to me. Sorry 

also I am 100% sure you are wrong about the 24 hours. It is one day before!!  There is a huge difference between 24 hrs and one day before. My flight from BKK via Singapore to JFK is at 6:30pm.  I can take a test at 8am the day before.  I am just looking for EXACT info on where to get a test to RETURN to USA and exactly what test.  I think I'll PM Sheryl closer to my return date. Thanks 

Hey KhunJeff

Thanks for the “Recovery Certificate” information - I will give it a shot.

For your amusement…..I contacted Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (where I have used various services for years) for help obtaining “Recovery Certificate”…..but they said unless I had been treated by them for my mild Covid infection they would NOT get any assistance from BHP.  This after being told not to come to the hospital with mild/no symptoms.  A wonderful organization…..aaargh!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

My flight from BKK via Singapore to JFK

Are you a U.S citizen? 

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.

An ATK test administered by a certified professional, not you at home, is acceptable.

https://www.medconsultasia.com/covidtesting/

There are many places to get tested.

There is a testing facility Suvarnabhumi, but check their operating hours.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Are you a U.S citizen? 

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.

An ATK test administered by a certified professional, not you at home, is acceptable.

There are many places to get tested.

There is a testing facility Suvarnabhumi, but check their operating hours.

Thanks for this info. Do you think the ATK test for 500 baht plus 300 baht for Omicron is what is required? I'd much rather do it in BKK the day before. I am US citizen returning home. I'm also flying Singapore air with short transit in SG. I transited last Friday and nothing was asked for while transiting. 

Edited by alex8912

On 3/16/2022 at 10:56 PM, alex8912 said:

I'm sorry but you are confusing me.

Sorry I've confused you.  Let me try to clarify....

When you say before your departing flight do you mean from Thailand to USA?

Yes.  You must take a Covid test no more than 1 day before the time you leave Thailand headed for the US.

Second thousands of people were never in the USA to get/buy these tests and will be returning home tomorrow/ next day etc.  I live in USA I am here right now. I'm returning April 20. What you just texted means I can't return home.

There is no ATK test that you can buy AND self administer in Thailand that is acceptable for entry into the US.  You need a certificate from a testing facility that shows the results.  So there's no point in trying to figure out which ATK sold at local pharmacies you can use.  You can't.

For others who are in the US planning a trip to Thailand (with a return to the US)....  Those people can buy certain specific ATK test kits in the US and bring the kit with them to use before their return flight to the US.  Those test kits include video conferencing with someone who remotely administers the test (watches you do it) and then verifies the results.  That clearly doesn't apply to you, but it might help others already in the US.

also I am 100% sure you are wrong about the 24 hours. It is one day before!!

You are correct.  It's not 24 hours, it's 1 day.

Edited by asiacurious
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Sorry I've confused you.  Let me try to clarify....

Yes.  You must take a Covid test no more than 1 day before the time you leave Thailand headed for the US.

There is no ATK test that you can buy AND self administer in Thailand that is acceptable for entry into the US.  You need a certificate from a testing facility that shows the results.  So there's no point in trying to figure out which ATK sold at local pharmacies you can use.  You can't.

For others who are in the US planning a trip to Thailand (with a return to the US)....  Those people can buy certain specific ATK test kits in the US and bring the kit with them to use before their return flight to the US.  Those test kits include video conferencing with someone who remotely administers the test (watches you do it) and then verifies the results.  That clearly doesn't apply to you, but it might help others already in the US.

You are correct.  It's not 24 hours, it's 1 day.

What about this place another poster suggested??

6 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Ok. I've seen and read that several times. Obviously it doesn't  say where in BKK I get an acceptable test and how much it is etc. that is my only question. Only talks about a viral test etc.  I'll figure it all out. The " order" is 30 pages long.  I have a friend here now leaving next week who says only RT PCR test. These can take many hours or more to get result. Then the order says another test ok if approved by US.  Then it goes on for 28 more pages.  I think the USA could do a much better job just saying exactly what it needs in one page! 
it's really not that easy to understand.  
I was just looking to find out exactly where I can get the quickest , easiest and cheapest test in Bkk. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I have a friend

Oy vey. facepalm.

Why ask here if you have a "friend"?

We've answered questions.

ATK test is acceptable.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

One single page, two questions answered,,,

Test and Documentation Requirements
You must be tested with a viral test to look for current infection – these include an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Phrases indicating a test is an antigen test could include, but not are not limited to:

Rapid antigen test
Viral antigen test
Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to:

Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Isothermal amplification including:
Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
Strand displacement amplification (SDA)
The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Rapid tests are acceptable if they are a viral test that meet the requirements under the Order.

Can get results in 15 minutes, in Bangkok - many, many, many places recommended here, just search, for 500 baht.

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I was just looking to find out exactly where I can get the quickest , easiest and cheapest test in Bkk. 

Budget? Location?

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Oy vey. facepalm.

Why ask here if you have a "friend"?

We've answered questions.

ATK test is acceptable.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

One single page, two questions answered,,,

Test and Documentation Requirements
You must be tested with a viral test to look for current infection – these include an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Phrases indicating a test is an antigen test could include, but not are not limited to:

Rapid antigen test
Viral antigen test
Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to:

Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Isothermal amplification including:
Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
Strand displacement amplification (SDA)
The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Rapid tests are acceptable if they are a viral test that meet the requirements under the Order.

Can get results in 15 minutes, in Bangkok - many, many, many places recommended here, just search, for 500 baht.

Budget? Location?

I posted a couple days ago a link DIRECTLY to another " expert" on here and asked him  advice. It was 500baht but it also added specific Omicron test for additional 300 ( from that gibberish above I have ZERO idea if the Omicron test is additionally needed.  I'd gladly pay the 500 plus 300 only if needed. But still no answer to my exact question. He  kept going on about how no test can be bought here at a pharmacy etc  that the USA will take but still has never mentioned ANYWHERE exactly. That's all. And yes I have a friend leaving end of month who seems to prefer getting PCR test to return to Cali I did not think it was necessary. 

Edited by alex8912