Bringing a laptop to Phuket

Somtamnication

Hello, everyone.

I need to send a laptop to my family back in Phuket. Is there anyone in the UK that can do it if they are returning to Phuket?

This month, next month. Doesn't matter.

Long story, but I can use the help and not pay import duties if shipping it.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

You are coming back for your son's birthday in April.  Why can't you bring it yourself?

I can't, hence the request.

22 hours ago, chuang said:

Be very beware what might be in the computer.

Been in this forum long enough for the old timers to know who I am. Relax. Thank you for your concern.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Just send it royal mail  airmail will arrive in a few days and no tax 

How do you know the import gestapo not going to engage?  They are off this planet!  Even prey on their own girls returning having bought 2nd hand bags......    I have a list of their  silly atrocities

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Throw some #2 pencils in with it, and it's now school supplies.  Simply buy one here, as don't think the pricing is that different, and they won't argue any warranty issues.

this gets me:

you order from overseas and the customs gestapo division are all over you...   hell, I was charged 1200thb for a 55 USD pool LED ......

but

you can buy them on lazada, and many items are imported....  do they deal with the customs gestapo division?  of course not..... hence the prices....  fair enough if Lazada pays a huge sum for a blanket import licence but I really dont think so... it suks

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seeall said:

this gets me:

you order from overseas and the customs gestapo division are all over you...   hell, I was charged 1200thb for a 55 USD pool LED ......

but

you can buy them on lazada, and many items are imported....  do they deal with the customs gestapo division?  of course not..... hence the prices....  fair enough if Lazada pays a huge sum for a blanket import licence but I really dont think so... it suks

Seems COD goes through with no problem, as I've order a few things, both heavy & expensive, and I expected to fight with customs over, and no issue.   Guess too many were saying "how much, no thanks, send back".

4 hours ago, Seeall said:

How do you know the import gestapo not going to engage?  They are off this planet!  Even prey on their own girls returning having bought 2nd hand bags......    I have a list of their  silly atrocities

I have never had anything stopped using recorded delivery  royal mail. Signed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seeall said:

I have sent loads and things from London and have recieved loads of things including new iPhones. Via signed delivery and never been stopped. The only time it is stopped at tax if it arrives at the port via another form of shipment

21 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Rule 1: Don't ever carry anything on flights for others, either in carry on or checked baggage.

Rule 2: repeat rule 1

Op obviously knows this and yet is brazen enough to ask someone to do it anyhow.

Go jump would be my response.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:44 AM, Tropposurfer said:

Rule 1: Don't ever carry anything on flights for others, either in carry on or checked baggage.

Rule 2: repeat rule 1

Wouldn’t hesitate to help someone out provided I was given 2 different sets of their photo ID, connected on social media and the goods (purchased from a legitimate company with receipt) weren’t banned from inbound country. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-39851770

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, Somtamnication said:

I need to send a laptop to my family back in Phuket. Is there anyone in the UK that can do it if they are returning to Phuket?

This month, next month. Doesn't matter.

Long story, but I can use the help and not pay import duties if shipping it.

Laptops are zero-rated for import duty.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Somtamnication said:
On 3/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, chuang said:

Be very beware what might be in the computer.

Been in this forum long enough for the old timers to know who I am. Relax.

Yes, it's ok, you're a completely anonymous member here and, regardless of how long you've been a member, no one can know who you are.  Maybe you've provided your ID to the "old timers", if so, my apologies.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Seeall said:

Even prey on their own girls returning having bought 2nd hand bags...... 

They're permitted to levy duty on chargeable items bought overseas and imported.  What does "their own girls" mean?    Thais are not exempt from import duty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:54 AM, Seeall said:

this gets me:

Funny how imported items that are rated for import duty get charged import duty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Bringing someone else's computer to another country is about as smart as carrying someone else's luggage through customs.

Not if the computer is new and you’re in possession of the sender’s photo ID and proof of purchase etc - as detailed here 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1