Problem accessing Vanguard account online from Thailand

On 3/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, Whale said:

I have same problem on many sites, I have always suspected that theres a big caching server in Thailand's system. 

I am not a computer person but I have many problems with passwords and access codes when here.

Well cache-control should be set to private for logins which means they're not *supposed* to cache it.

I would be more likely to blame CGNAT. Basically, most consumer internet users are behind a CGNAT. This is basically like when you access the internet behind a router, except it's your ISPs router. This saves them from issuing public IP addresses. So, you have hundreds or even thousands of users accessing the internet on a single IP, or millions of users on a small IP range.

Out of those people, a few hundred might use Vanguard. Out of those, 10-20 might've typed their password wrong in the last few days.

So, we have 10-20 failed login attempts from apparently the same network, trying to access different Vanguard accounts along with a few hundred successful logins of different accounts.

This looks dodgy as hell so it can be assumed that the successful logins were hackers. So, since it's clear those passwords are compromised, they should lock those accounts pending a password change.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Vanguard may have lifted the block. I was able to log in without VPN this morning.

Win 11, Firefox.

I just tried and still cannot log in. Keeps saying, "Your username or password is incorrect," though they are correct. Was this the same problem you had logging in, or something else? Still only way I can log in is to call them and have them reset it. Thanks.

Good afternoon. I have been using vanguard since 2017,

I ve never ever had any problems logging in from Bkk, either using the vanguard Australia app or through the Web browser. 

Occasionally the Web browser requests a code to be send to my Thai mobile, if I forget to "click to remember the browser" setting. 

Never used a vpn 

I log in almost every afternoon to check my balance of my

Vanguard Australian Shares High Yield ETF's (VHY) 

Hope this helps 

50 minutes ago, walailak said:

Good afternoon. I have been using vanguard since 2017,

I ve never ever had any problems logging in from Bkk, either using the vanguard Australia app or through the Web browser. 

Occasionally the Web browser requests a code to be send to my Thai mobile, if I forget to "click to remember the browser" setting. 

Never used a vpn 

I log in almost every afternoon to check my balance of my

Vanguard Australian Shares High Yield ETF's (VHY) 

Hope this helps 

Thank you for sharing that. Are you logging in via the main U.S. personal investors site? I am using that, and they do tell me some other people in Thailand have same problem as me. Has to do with some security issue related to Thailand that I do not understand.

1 hour ago, david_je said:

Thank you for sharing that. Are you logging in via the main U.S. personal investors site? I am using that, and they do tell me some other people in Thailand have same problem as me. Has to do with some security issue related to Thailand that I do not understand.

As I mentioned earlier I hsve an account in Australia 

If not using the app I use the following Web browser link

https://www.vanguard.com.au/personal/vanguardonline

Never been a problem. 

Hope this helps ????

17 hours ago, david_je said:

Was this the same problem you had logging in, or something else?

17 hours ago, david_je said:

Keeps saying, "Your username or password is incorrect," though they are correct.

It was whenever I tried to log in to US website without using a VPN, not anymore since yesterday on my new laptop.

I have not try the au website , I don't have to now.