Does Test & Go Thailand Pass over land from Laos STILL require PCR test?

7 hours ago, chricha said:

By my calculations I will need to get a visa extension by the 2nd May which is day 30 since arrival.

2nd May lists as Labour day in the Public holidays - will Immigration be closed on this day?

If I go on the 3rd May (day 31) will it be OK? or should I delay my departure for a day or two for safety?

Can the extension be obtained prior to the end of the 30 days and added on or must be on the last day to get the full 30 day extension?

You can apply at least a week early (probably nearer two weeks) and the 30 days will be added to the end of your current permission to stay.

For information only (do not do this) if the immigration office is closed on the last day of your permission to stay, you can apply for an extension on the first subsequent working day and, as long as the extension is granted, there is no penalty.

Immigration offices will be closed on May 2nd (substitute for Labour Day).

On 3/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, RedReding said:

it would be great if you could share your experience with us after you successfully crossed the border... Also, I'd be curious to know how you got approved to cross the border by land via the Thai Pass as i'm trying to do exactly the same thing.

Which hotel did you book in Thailand ? Was it in Nong Khai ? I tried to book one from the list of SHA EXTRA+ resorts available on the Thai Pass Website (VANA Welness Resort) but the person I talked to at the hotel was completely clueless and kept talking about a COE I should provide as well as Certificate of Covid Recovery... Completely clueless.

Looking forward to your answer.

Sure. I just crossed today from Vientiane to Nong Khai. No complications whatsoever, super smooth and easy (except the wifi not working at my quarantine hotel lol). From arriving at the border on the Lao side to arriving at my hotel, it took a total of 1h45m. Just a bit of waiting while Immigration goes through your paperwork. A Thai minivan picks you up from the Lao side and is the same van then deposits you at your hotel. The hotel package costs about 5,000 baht. You pay for your PCR test in Laos separately. 

Also to note that when I applied for the Thai Pass I did it on Saturday March 12 and I got it on Sunday March 13, less than 24 hours later (they say to allow 4-7 business days, so that was great). 

I got my Thai PCR test immediately when I reached the hotel at 10:15 AM. I was released at 8 PM, so only needed to quarantine for <10 hours total.

I'm staying at Tensino Hotel in Nong Khai. Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions @RedReding or anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again BritTim!

I have answered most of my queries when I contacted the Thai Embassy here  - only between 10am - 12 noon

They confirmed that despite their website not mentioning the 2nd May, it is a Public Holiday there. 

As the 4th is coronation day it is also possible some Government offices may be closed on the 3rd.

I need everything open as I need a visa and my wife needs a new passport to come back to Oz.

I asked about the visa exempt rules and they confirmed that despite what their website says, I can arrive as Visa Exempt for 30 days even though my ticket is for a 60 day stay. I can then apply for an extension prior to the expiry - or possibly the day after at the slight risk of a 500B fine per day.

So it looks like the safest course of action will be to travel on the 5th April or later and apply for the extension in early May. Now to book and get the Thailand Pass application started.

Only downside is the time waiting in Immigration office. The usual traps for young players - get there as it opens at 0830 to avoid 5 hour wait!!

My previous long stay in 2019 from May 2019 to January 2020 was arriving on a one way ticket. 

One way as my son was born in August so I didn't know how long I needed to stay.

BKK immigration did not care about the ticket as we are exempt and trusted I guess. 

I travelled to Hong Kong, Singapore, Myanmar, Australia and Laos during this time to renew my 30 day visas.

But all that was pre-COVID when BKK was super busy and 2-3 hour waits to go through Immigration!

In December 2021 I had to queue for maybe 10 minutes!!

Edited by chricha

53 minutes ago, chricha said:

So it looks like the safest course of action will be to travel on the 5th April or later and apply for the extension in early May. Now to book and get the Thailand Pass application started.

Just for curiosity (you will probably be OK with the plan you lay out) is there a good reason why do not want to apply for the 30-day extension early, say about April 27th, rather than waiting until May?

EDIT: Also, a word of warning. People often assume, reasonably, that the Thai embassy is a reliable source of information on immigration rules. They are not! You might sometimes get a correct answer, but the embassy should only be relied upon for information about the services they provide themselves. In general, the Thai embassies are about as reliable a source of information on immigration rules as a typical bar stool warrior.

Edited by BritTim

Sure. I just crossed today from Vientiane to Nong Khai. No complications whatsoever, super smooth and easy (except the wifi not working at my quarantine hotel lol). From arriving at the border on the Lao side to arriving at my hotel, it took a total of 1h45m. Just a bit of waiting while Immigration goes through your paperwork. A Thai minivan picks you up from the Lao side and is the same van then deposits you at your hotel. The hotel package costs about 5,000 baht. You pay for your PCR test in Laos separately. 

Also to note that when I applied for the Thai Pass I did it on Saturday March 12 and I got it on Sunday March 13, less than 24 hours later (they say to allow 4-7 business days, so that was great). 

I got my Thai PCR test immediately when I reached the hotel at 10:15 AM. I was released at 8 PM, so only needed to quarantine for <10 hours total.

I'm staying at Tensino Hotel in Nong Khai. Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions @RedReding or anyone else.

Thanks a lot for the precision, really appreciate it. I have one additional question : Did you get vaccinated in Laos ? If yes, did you apply for the Thai Pass with the green vaccination card that we received after getting jabbed here in Laos ?.

Thanks in advance. @AventurasEnMadrid

if you rather answer by PM, feel free to send me one. I'm asking you here publicly directly because it could valuable information for others too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Thanks a lot for the precision, really appreciate it. I have one additional question : Did you get vaccinated in Laos ? If yes, did you apply for the Thai Pass with the green vaccination card that we received after getting jabbed here in Laos ?.

Thanks in advance. @AventurasEnMadrid

if you rather answer by PM, feel free to send me one. I'm asking you here publicly directly because it could valuable information for others too.

Hi @RedReding Yes I got vaccinated in Laos. I have brought the green card with me on my trip as a "backup" but what you should get is an A4 sized certificate of vaccination, and you use this to apply for the Thai Pass. The green card might work as well for Thai Pass, I'm just guessing, but I think other than Thailand you'd be better off with the A4 certificate. To get the certificate you bring your green card and your passport and a copy of both to a building behind Setthathirath Hospital - I don't think I can post the link here. They give you an appointment to pickup your certificate  a week later -- but I saw a sign at the office saying that if you need it earlier due to travel plans you should bring documentation of your trip such as a flight ticket, etc. You have to bring this documentation to the building behind Setthathirath Hospital 8:30-11 AM and then the pickup will be in the afternoon. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hi @RedReding Yes I got vaccinated in Laos. I have brought the green card with me on my trip as a "backup" but what you should get is an A4 sized certificate of vaccination, and you use this to apply for the Thai Pass. The green card might work as well for Thai Pass, I'm just guessing, but I think other than Thailand you'd be better off with the A4 certificate. To get the certificate you bring your green card and your passport and a copy of both to a building behind Setthathirath Hospital - I don't think I can post the link here. They give you an appointment to pickup your certificate  a week later -- but I saw a sign at the office saying that if you need it earlier due to travel plans you should bring documentation of your trip such as a flight ticket, etc. You have to bring this documentation to the building behind Setthathirath Hospital 8:30-11 AM and then the pickup will be in the afternoon. Good luck. 

Thanks a lot for the valuable details. If you could send me the address or the name of the building (or link) per PM i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.