WHO Director-General's keynote speech at the Thailand International Health Expo 2022 - 17 March 2022

webfact

WHO.jpg

File photo

Your Excellency Anutin Charnvirakul, 

Dr Tares Krassanairawiwong, 

Excellencies, dear colleagues and friends,

Sawadee krab.

Just over two years ago, I said that the global spread of COVID-19 could be characterised as a pandemic. 

We made that assessment six weeks after we declared COVID-19 a global health emergency – when there were fewer than 100 cases, and no deaths outside China. 

Now, two years later, more than 6 million people have died. 

Although several countries have lifted restrictions, the pandemic is far from over – and it will not be over anywhere until it’s over everywhere. 

The virus continues to evolve, and we continue to face major obstacles in distributing vaccines, tests and treatments everywhere they are needed.

I know we are all ready to move on. But it is far too early to declare victory over COVID-19.

Many countries in Asia and the Pacific are facing surges of cases and deaths – including in Thailand, where I know your country is now facing a worrying increase in cases and deaths. 

I offer my deep condolences to all those who have lost someone they love;

I offer my deep respect to your health workers, who as we speak are working under very trying conditions to save lives;

And I offer my deep commitment that WHO will continue to support you in any way we can, through our country office in Bangkok, our regional office in Manila, and from headquarters here in Geneva. 

Although deaths are increasing, it’s pleasing to see that they are still nowhere near the levels they reached in August last year. 

It’s clear that there is now a decoupling between cases and deaths in Thailand, thanks to the high levels of vaccination you have reached.  

But there are still many countries with high rates of hospitalization and death, and low rates of vaccine coverage.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full speech: https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-keynote-speech-at-the-thailand-international-health-expo-2022

screenshot_17139.jpg

-- © Copyright  World Health Organization 2022-03-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.