Recommend a Solar garden light

My wife thinks we should have one or two solar garden lights outside  for those times that the power is out or the regular floodlight is broken.

My local electrical store has them starting at 900 baht up to 2000 baht.

However , there are plenty of cheaper ones on Lazada and I am wondering if any of these could provide light until about 5 a.m or do they all just fizzle out around midnight. Was thinking in the 500 baht range would be more reasonable. We live at the end of a dark village soi so any light would be better than nothing.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Denim

I've been meaning to buy one as our neighbor across the street has one that has a remote and it's configurable to shine at variable brightness levels corresponding to 3/5/8 hours of light at night. I think 8 hours is stretching it...but it seems to be quite bright when it's on.  I think they paid about 1200 baht for it at Amorn Electric. But you can get smaller sized and larger too. Best to check them out in a store and then find the  best price online.

Edited by tonray
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

I've been meaning to buy one as our neighbor across the street has one that has a remote and it's configurable to shine at variable brightness levels corresponding to 3/5/8 hours of light at night. I think 8 hours is stretching it...but it seems to be quite bright when it's on.  I think they paid about 1200 baht for it at Amorn Electric. But you can get smaller sized and larger too. Best to check them out in a store and then find the  best price online.

Yes....I've seen the ones with a remote and variable settings here :

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-light-led-100w-300w-i3187581044-s11904943164.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.12.1d1d50161QHEg4&search=1

But not sure if this is a good one or not. You know how it is with Lazada. Mostly I have been satisfied with my purchases but with these there seems to be a good chance of buying a pig in a poke.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

If you find out which brand & model, let us know, as I'm curious myself and will be in the market for a couple.  Youe neighbor's sounds perfect.  Don't think we have an Amorn nearby, but probably can source from somewhere, or get when out & about at Amorn.

I have dealt with this same company for the last eight years or so,the

website is in Thai language and i can not find the light i bought there a few months

ago but they do have them because i ordered another one last week.

I believe they call this type of light UFO light because of the shape.

They also have a lot of dc pumps for garden and agricultular use.

Also on Facebook,i am very happy with this light,it comes with a remote control for different settings.Easy to mount on a post,i have seen a lot of these lights in different campgrounds already.Ours works from dusk to dawn.

https://www.beliefsolartech.com/ชุดปั๊มน้ำหอยโข่ง/62262b1844d3d00013a5a118

IMG_20220320_114845.jpg

IMG_20220320_114908.jpg

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, a340bangla1 said:

Search for "Eve LED Solar Cell Flood Dawn 100W Daylight" at Lazada, there are also others with lower power.

Thanks. I found them but at 2179 baht , more than I wanted to spend.

58 minutes ago, jvs said:

I have dealt with this same company for the last eight years or so,the

website is in Thai language and i can not find the light i bought there a few months

ago but they do have them because i ordered another one last week.

Not exactly the same but similar :

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ufo-1000w-5000w-8000w-12000w-15000w-20000w-80000w-200000w-solar-light-solar-street-light-i3239981737-s12603927112.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.115.63433cc3qQmNL6&search=1

23 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Philips collection nice quality when compare to many cheap solar light

little more money but better quality battery and led component

video in thai but shows product quality if interested

Thanks. The serious ones start at around 800 - 900 baht. Not too bad if a quality product.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=+solar+light+Philips&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.5a417f0bjWqaJE

I have around ten JD8860 floods floodlighting the house and garden, they must be over two years old now and still work fine.

They will come on at dusk and off when it is light, you can also set them to come on for four hours six hours or automatic

Plenty of light coming inside the house if and when the power goes off.

Only if it is a VERY dull cloudy day will they not charge fully and in which case go dim after maybe five hours

Link to a Lazada page   HERE

Solar.jpg

floods.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I have around ten JD8860 floods floodlighting the house and garden, they must be over two years old now and still work fine.

They will come on at dusk and off when it is light, you can also set them to come on for four hours six hours or automatic

Plenty of light coming inside the house if and when the power goes off.

Only if it is a VERY dull cloudy day will they not charge fully and in which case go dim after maybe five hours

Link to a Lazada page   HERE

Thanks. 815 baht is more in the ball park plus lasting 2 years is a big plus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

What a great idea, now where did I put my drill ????

I meant I installed one in the house. The drill was to make a small hole to pass the lead through to the outside where the panel is fixed.

With regular drops in current at this hot time of the year, it means we are not sitting in darkness until the leccy comes back on. ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hughrection said:

I meant I installed one in the house. The drill was to make a small hole to pass the lead through to the outside where the panel is fixed.

With regular drops in current at this hot time of the year, it means we are not sitting in darkness until the leccy comes back on. ????

Yes we know what you meant, unfortunately its not a small hole its a half inch one in order to get the connector part through it, it also gets a tad more complicated if you have double Qcon blocks with a cavity in the middle as I have.

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Yes we know what you meant, unfortunately its not a small hole its a half inch one in order to get the connector part through it, it also gets a tad more complicated if you have double Qcon blocks with a cavity in the middle as I have.

Cut the wire, push through a small hole, solder and tape the wire back together.

If the cavity causes a problem, push a straightened wire coat hanger through, tape the cut wire to the end, pull it back through the hole.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Or simply put the light part on a swivel, to point into one of the windows when losing power.  We simply have small LED lights that plug into a power bank, or any powered USB port, if and very rare, when the power goes out.

Actually quite bright, inexpensive and on LAZ, Xiaomi brand.  Also sell little fans for power banks.

image.png.c922e4e4cab6b32d1fa00d9e12284a54.png

Edited by KhunLA

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm persuaded that JD seem to be the way to go but I'll probably get it from an electrical store rather than Lazada as there are many videos on you tube warning of fake copies of JD lights. Here is just one pretty comprehensive one explaining what to look for :

As I said in opening post I am 95 percent satisfied with thing I have bought on Lazada but I have been stung twice ( fake dashcam was worst )  and these lights , which are from China , are just the kind of product you have to be careful with when buying.

But thanks for the link anyway , gives an idea what I should be paying.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hughrection said:

Yes, this distributor is recommended. Good choice.

Have to be careful with fake reviews. The dashcam I bought came with a lot of 5 star reviews and pictures from satisfied customers ( about 95 reviews ) . What I got was not the same as in the picture and broke on day 1. My own fault. If something looks a lot cheaper than other similar offerings it is probably not the real deal.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I doubt the JD official store on Lazada (my link) is selling fakes.

Thanks, I cancelled the 1st order (that other link, as not shipped), and 120w works better for me also as a tester.  If too bright, highly doubtful, I'll stick in front of the house.

Might get a couple more, lower wattage, for ambient light off the wall for rear veranda.  Will have solar, so not really a cost saving thing, just no need to run wires.

Great vid for the 'fakes', though as stated, highly doubtful JD shop duped into fakes.

• Like 1

I installed one that has a remote to lower the brightness and therefore use less power and last longer, but problem is you have to manually do that every night, otherwise it will just operate at the highest setting, and that runs out after about 3-4 hours. If set on the lowest it will tun all night. It just got to be a pain to set it every night, so now just use an outside electric light.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Have to be careful with fake reviews. The dashcam I bought came with a lot of 5 star reviews and pictures from satisfied customers ( about 95 reviews ) . What I got was not the same as in the picture and broke on day 1. My own fault. If something looks a lot cheaper than other similar offerings it is probably not the real deal.

good detective work makes good online shopping in this crazy cheat world

many seller know most people fall into price trap and crazy description like 500WATT SOLAR LIGHT SPECIAL SMD LED

JD is solar light model with number used in hundreds chinese factory

big question who has the best JD

• Haha 1