Recommend a Solar garden light

On 3/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, BritManToo said:

Vendor replaced link with new one:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jd-solar-lights-120w-218-smd-3-solar-cell-jd-8120-i672076745-s1306084766.html?spm=a2o4m.seller.list.145.45463191K0ablt&mp=1

I like it, works good on tester.  Solar ... way too cool.  Might pick up 2 more, though maybe 200w.

• 1 month later...

We have some of these same solar lights fail on us.

It seems that the battery doesn't hold their charge anymore.

Has any tried (and was successful) to open one of these and change the battery?

solarlight.jpg.d4edc9016b6f7fa91b6bf1a0ee61f834.jpg

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Has any tried (and was successful) to open one of these and change the battery?

As it was assembled at a factory then you can take it apart. Battery will be standard once you find out which type. Probably one or more 18560 cell.

As my Aussie supervisor used to say "Fix it or <deleted> it"

Edited by VocalNeal

I ended up getting 2. 

A UFO type on the end of a pole for lighting up the gate and road. This has a motion sensor and goes to full power if something passes by, otherwise at a lower setting. Lasts through from 7.00 pm to 6 am.

The other is a cheaper 25w light from JD that lights up the area in front of the house.

Just purchased another which I will install in the living room as a clever poster suggested so we have light inside when there's a power cut.

light.jpg

P_20220411_184356.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I guess its possible. There are tutorials on youtube. It appears that on some it easy to get inside as there are screws. Others are sealed units, more difficult

Thx!!

All of them (we have) are sealed units.!

I don't see no easy way in.

I have given one of them to my "handy man" and asked him if he can open it.

Will report back what he finds out!!

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Do all these UFO lamps have integral solar panel on top? The wife wants one but I don't like the idea of a visible panel.

Yes they do. That's why I chose it. Looks less unsightly IMO plus no external wiring.

I got this one by Toshiba but there are many to choose from depending on how bright you want it to be. We were not looking for something that floodlights the area just something where things are illuminated instead of pitch black.

P_20220406_131136_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, Soda Soda said:

Are these solar lights now good enough to be your main lighting outside or are they still considered as backup when power cut?

Good enough as our only outside lighting. The UFO type lasts until the morning. Dims to low light when everything is still but the motion sensor picks up any movement and turns on full again so long as movement continues.

I have since followed another posters good suggestion and mounted two indoors as well , kitchen and living room , so we have light indoors during power cuts. 20 watt each is plenty bright enough for this back up lighting indoors. A lot better than torches or lamps.

13 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have since followed another posters good suggestion and mounted two indoors as well , kitchen and living room , so we have light indoors during power cuts. 20 watt each is plenty bright enough for this back up lighting indoors

How does a solar light get charged indoors?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

How does a solar light get charged indoors?

The panel is outside on the roof. The wire from the panel then comes through the attic , and down through a small hole in the ceiling .

Obviously , can't do this with UFO type so I bought an ordinary JD solar light and panel for this.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1