BOI Non-B 2 Year Multi-Entry Visa / Work Permit Renewal Question

I've searched around and can't find a thread with exactly my issue, at least recently.  Apologies if there has been.

I've worked here nearly 8 years now, and I'm up for my 3rd renewal of my 2 year Non-B BOI Multiple-Entry Visa, and also Work Permit.  Previously, this was not complicated at least on my end as my employer here takes care of everything; I just have to follow them around, sign things, pay the fees and wait in waiting areas.

However, this time my Passport expires April of 2024 and will have just under two years at the Visa Expiry date in June 2022.  You can renew the BOI visa 15-90 days before the expiry date, so under normal circumstances we could just start the process just before my passport expires to get another full 2 years...  or at least that's what they have said on the phone to a co-worker researching it for me.

The complication is that an urgent matter has come up at my home in USA, so I must travel there and won't return until just a few days before the 2-year-to-expiry date of the passport (provided I pass my COVID nose-raping and don't go to COVID jail...  clearly totally screwed if that happens).   I can still enter the country just fine, but almost certainly won't have time to process a new Visa before the passport reaches its sub-two year remaining day.

First question:  Am I correct that the BOI office will not issue a 2 year Non-B visa in a passport with less than 2 years on it?   This seems obvious to me, but TIT, stranger things happen.

2nd question:   Have any USA passport holders on here gotten a new passport long before expiry of their old one recently in the USA (ie under COVID rules where appointments and wait times are sometimes very long)    I will be home for about 20 days, likely not enough time to get a new passport under normal circumstances, but maybe possible with $$$ and an agency.

As I understand it, provided I could somehow get a rushed new passport, I could travel with both of them and still use my old passport with existing June 2022 expiry date VISA in it to enter the country, I believe I have read this before on here.

I suppose the least convenient option, but most likely to work would be to apply for only 1 year Visa, worry about getting new passport sometime in the next year, and go through the process again for new Visa next year.  It is a lot of work for the applying person here at my company so I'd like to avoid this if possible.  Not to mention a day or more wasted on my part.

Many thanks if you've survived reading to this point, and even more thanks for any consideration or other ideas anyone has!

2 hours ago, n8sail said:

Have any USA passport holders on here gotten a new passport long before expiry of their old one recently in the USA (ie under COVID rules where appointments and wait times are sometimes very long) 

I did mine 18 months early and a email to the embassy told me it can be applied for a any time 2 years 3 years early it does not matter

• Thanks 1