Question regarding pre-flight COVID-19 viral test required for traveling to the US

Y Chang

The US requires all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel.  I have some difficulties understanding what it means by "within one calendar day."  Is it the same as within 24 hours?  If my flight leaves at noon, when should I take the test?

Appreciate in advance any responses.  Sheryl, will be super to get your input.  Thank you!

It looks like I just found the answer to my question from the FAQ at CDC.  Here is what it says:

"The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday."

So now my understanding is that a 1-day period actually provides more flexibility in terms of the timing of the testing, because I am not limited to a 24 hour window.  As my flight leaves at noon-time on Wed, I can take the test anytime on Tuesday. 

I hope I have not misinterpreted anything.  Please feel free to correct me if I have any misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Y Chang said:

It looks like I just found the answer to my question from the FAQ at CDC.  Here is what it says:

"The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday."

So now my understanding is that a 1-day period actually provides more flexibility in terms of the timing of the testing, because I am not limited to a 24 hour window.  As my flight leaves at noon-time on Wed, I can take the test anytime on Tuesday. 

I hope I have not misinterpreted anything.  Please feel free to correct me if I have any misunderstanding.

You are correct. You need a viral ATK test that you can not just buy at a pharmacy. There are reports for example many places in BKK that charge 500 baht for this. Just make sure it's the test that is accepted for USA entry.  I've asked on here EXACTLY where to go but no one ever answers back. Some people just keep sending the link from the USA CDC sight.  My flight is not until April 20 so I'll figure out the exact location before then. I think it's silly. To get a PCR test which is also ok but my feeling is it may be easier to test positive for a long time when you take Pcr test ( if you happened to be positive a few weeks before).  I would not want to take a pcr test the day before returning to the USA because of you test positive you are stuck. Also Covid hospital/ hotel for days. 

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You are correct. You need a viral ATK test that you can not just buy at a pharmacy. There are reports for example many places in BKK that charge 500 baht for this. Just make sure it's the test that is accepted for USA entry.  I've asked on here EXACTLY where to go but no one ever answers back. Some people just keep sending the link from the USA CDC sight.  My flight is not until April 20 so I'll figure out the exact location before then. I think it's silly. To get a PCR test which is also ok but my feeling is it may be easier to test positive for a long time when you take Pcr test ( if you happened to be positive a few weeks before).  I would not want to take a pcr test the day before returning to the USA because of you test positive you are stuck. Also Covid hospital/ hotel for days. 

You can get an ATK test done at BKK 24/7, I believe that would be accepted as it's professionally administered.

24 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can get an ATK test done at BKK 24/7, I believe that would be accepted as it's professionally administered.

Thanks but I'm not a big believer in getting on my 3 flight 24 hour flight to USA to have a last minute glitch at the airport. Id recommend to anyone to do the day before at your leisure.  Also I wouldn't want to test positive at airport. 

• Like 1

I just came back to the USA on March 08.  I used renewme skin clinic at The Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit 2F 1 Sukhumvit Soi 13 Rd, Khlong Toei Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110

Near Nana station. 

They are trusted and will get the paperwork correct. If you leave at noon the you must go in for your PCR test the day before you leave. I would go in before noon (you can make an appointment on their website but they also take walkins).

I paid 3900 baht for an expedited test result but you won't need the expedited (more expensive) test as long as you go in early the day before your flight. 

My flight left at 8:00 am so I had to be at the airport at 5:30am

They will give you the letter that you will need to show the airlines and Customs / Immigration to get home. 

For convenience, I stayed at the Ambassador hotel (which is only a 5 minute walk to the clinic and was only 700 baht).  

As long as you get tested the day before you leave (more than 24 hours before your flight is fine) but your test must be done sometime on the date right before your flight date. 

Google Renewme skin clinic PCR test (for travel) and you will find their website. They do have several different locations but I chose the one near nana station in Sukhumvit as I am familiar with the area. 

Bring your passport with you to get tested. They will call or email you when your test result and letter are ready. Then you just go to the clinic and get the letter (ask for them to print it for you/ vs them emailing it to you). You will need the printed original letter to board your flight.

Good luck and safe travels

Thank you everyone for your input.  Appreciate it!

Dr. Donna's MedConsult Clinic provides COVID-19 pre-flight tests, as follows:

*RT-PCR + Fit to fly - ฿1,500
*RT-PCR + Fit to fly (Express Service!!) - ฿3,000
*ATK Rapid Antigen - ฿500

Has anyone taken one of these tests for traveling to the US?  Does ATK Rapid Antigen test (฿500) satisfy the US requirement?  Please share your experience.

1 hour ago, Y Chang said:

Has anyone taken one of these tests for traveling to the US?  Does ATK Rapid Antigen test (฿500) satisfy the US requirement?  Please share your experience.

The US does not require that it be a PCR test. A rapid antigen test at a clinic is acceptable. However, there is the possibility that somewhere along the way someone checking your documents will not know that and will cause trouble for you. 

Also as noted elsewhere it is one calendar day. The time does not matter.

ANTIGEN TEST with results in about 15 minutes with paper. 

Pulse clinic Suk 13. Used it. No issues. More expensive than Dr. Donna. 

Dr. Donna (Medconsult Clinic). Many people use her services. I for one. 600 bt I believe.

BKK, aka Swampy, airport. There's at least 3 places there. 500 bt I believe. Used it once back to ATL on Qatar airways

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y Chang said:

Yes and yes.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Y Chang said:

Keep in mind that an antigen test is a minimum US requirement. You need to also confirm with your airline / transit country what their requirements are if any.

8 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I just came back to the USA on March 08.  I used renewme skin clinic at The Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit 2F 1 Sukhumvit Soi 13 Rd, Khlong Toei Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110

Near Nana station. 

They are trusted and will get the paperwork correct. If you leave at noon the you must go in for your PCR test the day before you leave. I would go in before noon (you can make an appointment on their website but they also take walkins).

I paid 3900 baht for an expedited test result but you won't need the expedited (more expensive) test as long as you go in early the day before your flight. 

My flight left at 8:00 am so I had to be at the airport at 5:30am

They will give you the letter that you will need to show the airlines and Customs / Immigration to get home. 

For convenience, I stayed at the Ambassador hotel (which is only a 5 minute walk to the clinic and was only 700 baht).  

As long as you get tested the day before you leave (more than 24 hours before your flight is fine) but your test must be done sometime on the date right before your flight date. 

Google Renewme skin clinic PCR test (for travel) and you will find their website. They do have several different locations but I chose the one near nana station in Sukhumvit as I am familiar with the area. 

Bring your passport with you to get tested. They will call or email you when your test result and letter are ready. Then you just go to the clinic and get the letter (ask for them to print it for you/ vs them emailing it to you). You will need the printed original letter to board your flight.

Good luck and safe travels

You do not need a PCR test to return to USA. Huge waste of $$$ 

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Keep in mind that an antigen test is a minimum US requirement. You need to also confirm with your airline / transit country what their requirements are if any.

Most are nothing or minimum for transit. You don't even need a test to transit in Singapore anymore! Just get 500 baht viral ATK test if that is the minimum required why in the world would you get a PCR test??  Also a PCR test can say you are positive weeks after you may not have even known you had Covid. 

6 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

The US does not require that it be a PCR test. A rapid antigen test at a clinic is acceptable. However, there is the possibility that somewhere along the way someone checking your documents will not know that and will cause trouble for you. 

Also as noted elsewhere it is one calendar day. The time does not matter.

Then you show that person the USA CDC websight!  There is no reason to get an expensive PCR test.  Your docs will be checked when arriving in USA.  Maybe at BKK for your first flight. 

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Thanks but I'm not a big believer in getting on my 3 flight 24 hour flight to USA to have a last minute glitch at the airport. Id recommend to anyone to do the day before at your leisure.  Also I wouldn't want to test positive at airport. 

I took the RT-PCR test a day before my flight and got the result the morning of my flight. My flight was at night. 

10 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Then you show that person the USA CDC websight!  There is no reason to get an expensive PCR test.  Your docs will be checked when arriving in USA.  Maybe at BKK for your first flight. 

When I traveled in November my docs were checked five separate times. Two of those five people did not understand what they were looking at and raised unwarranted questions.

When I travel back to the US I will get the cheaper and faster test, but I do know that at some point I may have to deal with someone misunderstanding it. It's a 29 hour trip door to door, and there is some value to things going smoothly and not having to unnecessarily explain things.

18 hours ago, Y Chang said:

Yes I had ATK and was just fine. US has never had PCR testing requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

When I traveled in November my docs were checked five separate times. Two of those five people did not understand what they were looking at and raised unwarranted questions.

When I travel back to the US I will get the cheaper and faster test, but I do know that at some point I may have to deal with someone misunderstanding it. It's a 29 hour trip door to door, and there is some value to things going smoothly and not having to unnecessarily explain things.

November may have well been years ago. I left USA March 9 Singapore Air. A brief check of docs at JKF absolutely nothing checked at my transit in Singapore. Standard check at BKK upon arrival once to see papers, then another lady gave me a stamp, then to immigration.  Many many reports like this now. You shouldn't be comparing your November trip to what goes on now. If your last flight segment is in USA which I bet it is then you will be checked at BKK and most likely not anywhere else and then you will arrive in USA.  No need to worry at all. If you are changing airlines outside USA which I doubt you probably won't have any check there.  You can say what your airline and transit are on this forum and someone can tell you what happens RECENTLY not in November. All Americans have about 22 to 29 hours of travel time. 

Edited by alex8912

On 3/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, Paradise Pete said:

When I flew back to US late Feb, ATK certificate was very briefly looked at when checking in to Bangkok Airport, but after that never asked again. US immigration was not interested at all.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, jgm005 said:

ANTIGEN TEST with results in about 15 minutes with paper. 

Pulse clinic Suk 13. Used it. No issues. More expensive than Dr. Donna. 

Dr. Donna (Medconsult Clinic). Many people use her services. I for one. 600 bt I believe.

BKK, aka Swampy, airport. There's at least 3 places there. 500 bt I believe. Used it once back to ATL on Qatar airways

Re.  the 3 ATK testing sites at BKK - I have tried to find contact info for these sites at the airport (google) - absolutely no results.  I am flying during Songkran, so prefer to have a booking in place instead of just showing up,  which normally I would.  Any suggestion how to find these testing sites phone or email?  I am not in Bangok presently, so cannot go there in person prior.  The Thai Travel Clinic (where I planned to go) is closed for Songkran holiday.

11 minutes ago, songmaew said:

Re.  the 3 ATK testing sites at BKK - I have tried to find contact info for these sites at the airport (google) - absolutely no results.  I am flying during Songkran, so prefer to have a booking in place instead of just showing up,  which normally I would.  Any suggestion how to find these testing sites phone or email?  I am not in Bangok presently, so cannot go there in person prior.  The Thai Travel Clinic (where I planned to go) is closed for Songkran holiday.

update:  Incredibly, the BKK Tourist Service Center answered phone immediately and gave me the info - Samitivej (1st floor, Gate 3) open during Songkran  (for PCR and ATK testing). 

I am flying to USA via Narita on JAL on a few weeks.  I get it that the USA only requires the ATK test but I'm not so sure JAL is accepting that.  I have searche their webpage and of course can't find clarification.

If anyopne has recently transited Narita I'd appreciate some input.