Sticky Rice and Mango

giddyup

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's not as simple as just sugar, there are people who eat vast amounts of sugar and carbs every day and are slim and no where near being diabetic

.....yet.

It is all about tickling the odds in your favor.

Some non-smokers get lung cancer, most heavy smokers don't.

Still better not to smoke.

Just now, Will B Good said:

.....yet.

It is all about tickling the odds in your favor.

Some non-smokers get lung cancer, most heavy smokers don't.

Still better not to smoke.

Not the same, it's the fat people should focus on and minimise that rather than obsess about the sugar

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Not the same, it's the fat people should focus on and minimise that rather than obsess about the sugar

...and yet the SA doctor who won his case against unfair dismissal, having promoted a meat and fat only diet, won on the evidence he presented???

Variety is the only way to go.

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

...and yet the SA doctor who won his case against unfair dismissal, having promoted a meat and fat only diet, won on the evidence he presented???

Variety is the only way to go.

Keto is an option but who wants to eat like that unless trying to lose 50kg+

• Like 1

There's little question that Thailand has a clever and innovative cuisine, but once a combination of flavors is hit upon it seems like the interest in further tinkering or experimentation is often quite limited, perhaps because many Thais have limited exposure to foreign cuisines. I don't subscribe to the notion that experimentation and modifying recipes to one's own taste is culturally disrespectful. Adding raisins to sticky rice with mangoes sounds like a great flavor combo provided the raisins were softened up. Raisins straight out of the box on top of mangoes and sticky rice doesn't sound very appetizing to me.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Good for you that you can do stuff in moderation, that is not something that comes easy for me. If my sweet tooth is activated I want more and more. For me it works best to cut stuff out totally and then I don't need it anymore.

But people like you and my GF for instance seem to have no problem with moderation. If there is a chocolate bar in the fridge.. it wont last long. (that is why i dont buy it). But for GF it can be in the fridge for months without her touching it.

We are all different and what works for one does not work for an other.

My kid can have a chocolate bar last for days, just taking one little square once in a while.

59 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My kid can have a chocolate bar last for days, just taking one little square once in a while.

I do the same, except I break up a chocolate bar (Waitrose Belgian dark chocolate with raisins and nuts) into squares and keep in a container in the fridge. Whenever I get the craving I just take  a couple of squares out and just let melt in my mouth, never chew, that just makes me want more.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I do the same, except I break up a chocolate bar into squares and keep in a container in the fridge. Whenever I get the craving I just take  a couple of squares out and just let melt in my mouth, never chew, that just makes me want more.

My mother taught me only savages chewed chocolate.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Your far to mild burned to the stake too ????

I used to love it (still do) just don't eat it. Its not really something that is good for you. But can't deny how good it tastes. 

Totally agree, but love it and restrict myself to oncs a week. Mangoes on the other hand are a regular this time of year and I eat a couple per week.Great chilled sliced n diced or  liquidised as a refreshing drink too.

If you live in the second greatest mango place on earth (India with the Alphonso Mango is #1), it seems very puritanical not to eat an in-season mango every day. And this is a crowd not know for puritanical values.

I tend to leave about half the rice since it is so over-sweet to my taste; a big bite of mango, a little bite of rice.

How is that worse for you than a pint of Chang? If I go to New York, should I not eat a deli sandwich without getting a doctor's note first? A M+SR-sized portion of mango is only 100 calories.

Fruit-wise, the mango is king of all fruit. The former king, the Georgia Peach, seems cloying and boring besides it. I like to scrape my teeth on the inside of the mango peel to savor the most perfumed part.

When I get back to Thailand, I will have M+SR within the first 24 hours. A dedicated trip to MBK is likely - prob with one taken to go.

A few Mango shakes seem likely too. There's a cafe on the far left side of The Phae Gate that blitzes them up and has seen enough fussy tourists to actually leave out the sugar on request. A freezing cold mango lassi with just the right touch of salt at pricey Dosa King on Soi 11 Is also on the list.

• Like 1