Receiving mail / post from UK / Europe to BKK Thailand

Gee Bangkok

3 hours ago, Gee Bangkok said:

will it arrive if addressed only in English?

Yes. Of course it is useful to invest some effort in a "correct" address.

Surprisingly Wiki has an article on that and there is a couple of threads in the forum about address format.

(I assume you refer to a Bangkok address?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_addressing_system

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gee Bangkok said:

Anyone have any experience in this. How long should it take?

Yes, and not good, a lot depends on where you live but it is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

I use an online postal service and get it the next day.

2 hours ago, Red Forever said:

I live in the sticks in Ubon.

I receive fortnightly "Private Eye" magazine from UK. The best time was 4 days door to door. Worst time was 12 days.

We actually get stuff from Ubon to London and many times they arrive in a week. We haven't lost anything yet. These are usually small boxed parcels.

From London to Bkk we've had a couple of things go missing, but that was Covid times with less flights, things storing up etc

16 hours ago, Tazmo said:

In my 10 years here, I have received only letters with a ‘tracking number’, or registered, any other way I have never received many birthday or Christmas cards.

I have asked relatives not to send anymore.

My UK Bank will never post my ATM card when it expires. They say that it’s not safe.

I have to go through the complaints department and they will have it sent to my daughter’s address in the UK and she will post it to me ( with a tracking number).

I have ordered 4 card readers in the last 18 months not one has arrived, I contacted Nationwide who tell me they don't give a tracking number as they are auto generated.

My postman never delivers anything for at least 2 years but came with a COD from lazada moonlighting postman he is.  ????

UK Post Office offer several options based on price / length of time to deliver. I think the quickest when I last used it was six business days. 

If important, advise sender to go for Registered Mail or Track and Trace. To be signed for.

• Thanks 1

I have just had experience with registered air mail to and from the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

The outward letter was delivered signed for in 4 days! The return letter is a different story! 

The letter arrived at Heathrow in less than 12 hours from posting, and was despatched by air within 24. 6 Days later! it arrived at Laksi, cleard customs within one hour, and here the mystery deepens, because the tracking story has been changed post factum. Originally the tracking showed it arriving at Sri Racha, where it stayed for more fhan a week without moving. Eventually I sent to the local Post Office, which is conveniently next door, and queried this. The staff were very helpful, took my phone number and told me they would let me know.....naturally I had no great expectations! Within an hour I got a call telling me it was there, please collect it with my id. This I did, no explanation was offered.

Since collecting it, the tracking story has been changed:- it now shows despatched, then incorrectly addressed returned to sender, then arrived at delivery office, then delivered....on the day I collected it.

Someone cocked up and someone is telling porkies! But at least I got it, in 15 days. I have no idea what would have happened had I left it longer to chase it!

20 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Some of my mail, including a bank card and a package got lost during the last two years. If you want to make sure international mail arrives, send it registered with tracking. That is safe.

I had a  UK bank card   sent registered mail  .. uk to pattaya     .it went missing for 4 weeks  then mysteriously   appeared   after an investigation was launched,  the envelope very ripped,.......but no more problems since then (4 years ago), i still have registered mail sent,   but my postman never requires a signature  like they are suposed to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had mail regularly  UK to Pattaya   registered &  non registered  for the past 20 years, the quickest it has ever taken is 7 days door to door  (pre Covid,) , since Covid  the quickest  is now approx..  12 days,    the Thai tracking  on internet shows  the reason for slow is because of the UK Post

I live on the outskirts of Hua Hin, last week I received a letter from my bank in the Isle of Man that was posted on the 3rd January, it arrived with some Christmas Cards.

Thankfully my bank are aware of the hit and miss issues when sending post to me here, and had phoned me to say the letter was on the way, they also sent the form we needed to complete via secure messenging, I don't know why they don't always use this method.

The completed forms were received by the bank seven days after I mailed them.

Bank Cards are always sent by DHL.

As others have said, it really depends where you live here. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, Gee Bangkok said:

Thanks all... 

I'm over 4 weeks waiting . For a  bank card! The UK bank don't send tracked or registered. 

Should I go to a main post office here to ask? BKK yes.... 

Can you check with the bank as the what address they are using? On another forum, someone was having the same issues until he managed to get through to a human at the bank who confirmed they were sending multiple cards to an unattended UK address. When he explained that he was in Thailand, they said they don't send ANYTHING to Thailand.

As for International Tracked mail from the UK, it takes 7 to 10 days and I've never had anything go missing.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Can you check with the bank as the what address they are using? On another forum, someone was having the same issues until he managed to get through to a human at the bank who confirmed they were sending multiple cards to an unattended UK address. When he explained that he was in Thailand, they said they don't send ANYTHING to Thailand.

As for International Tracked mail from the UK, it takes 7 to 10 days and I've never had anything go missing.

Good advice. Last time I rang Customer Services (a year ago), Santander Bank told me they have no issues in sending cards to Thailand. Halifax Bank told me they will not. However, although Halifax intercept and destroy my renewed Debit cards, renewed Credit cards get through. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, theoldgit said:

I live on the outskirts of Hua Hin, last week I received a letter from my bank in the Isle of Man that was posted on the 3rd January, it arrived with some Christmas Cards.

Thankfully my bank are aware of the hit and miss issues when sending post to me here, and had phoned me to say the letter was on the way, they also sent the form we needed to complete via secure messenging, I don't know why they don't always use this method.

The completed forms were received by the bank seven days after I mailed them.

Bank Cards are always sent by DHL.

As others have said, it really depends where you live here. 

I recently asked my Son in the UK to send my Debit card   to Thailand via Courier, thinking its safer, he said he had asked several Courier companies including DHL,  but  they said no  they will not accept any Bank cards, just wondering if in your case , you didnt have to disclose the contents ?

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, actonion said:

I recently asked my Son in the UK to send my Debit card   to Thailand via Courier, thinking its safer, he said he had asked several Courier companies including DHL,  but  they said no  they will not accept any Bank cards, just wondering if in your case , you didnt have to disclose the contents ?

My bank in the UK sent debit cards for my wife and I before the previous cards expired, Santander International, no idea what they told DHL.

As our cards needed to be activated on arrival here, I'm not sure what the issue is.

Maybe send the card inside a book.

• Like 2