Car rental thief - she drove off from the airport but never drove back!

webfact

The warrant was issued last year on February 15......

Translated from the Dailynews webpage:

Miss Sunisa (last name preserved), 34 years old, a native of Chiang Rai province, the accused under an arrest warrant of the Chiang Rai Provincial Court No. 12/2564 dated February 15,

What about driving without insurance.

I used to pick up cars in Gibraltar/La Linea on many,many occasions - on a few occasions I asked could I extend the contract over the phone - not possible if you don't come to the office. If you're not here you'll be committing an offence by driving without insurance.

I agree that the lack of clarity as to how long this car was overdue is quite relevant 

i mean i would reasonably think that if it was say within 0-24 or even 48hrs that the rental firm would keep the matter (of an overdue car) an “in-house” matter… trying to call the renter, email, sms etc…  If there’s no contact after day 48hrs or the signs of potential criminal intent, such as phone discounted, email bounced back, etc, THEN i could see the rental firm going to the police..

So… if this lady kept if for days and days and wasn’t contactable or upon contact refused to return it, then sure- i can see police involvement … but for a short overdue? maybe not… time here matters IMHO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

The rental company contacted Ban Doo police who with the help of social media managed to secure a warrant for theft.

Seriously ? They needed social media rather than their own address records prior to renting  ? Or is this the same as buying a car here, turn up with your flip flops on the right feet and your all set to go

The comment 'with the help of social media' suggests that the rental agency had already found out the address given by the errant renter was possibly bogus.

As a footnote, I have bought my last two vehicles here in Thailand while not wearing any underwear.

• Haha 2

That would be Mae Chan I assume and not Mae Jan.  It is a strange translation that one - Mae Chan is pronounced "Mae Jun" as people here familiar with that area will know.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seriously ? They needed social media rather than their own address records prior to renting  ? Or is this the same as buying a car here, turn up with your flip flops on the right feet and your all set to go

Well, don't you need a certificate of residence, a Thai drivers licence and a medical certificate to buy a new car now ? Or at least 2 of those.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:49 PM, Tuvoc said:

Well, don't you need a certificate of residence, a Thai drivers licence and a medical certificate to buy a new car now ? Or at least 2 of those.

1. No, you don't need a driver's license nor medical certificate to buy a new car.

2. She rented a car, didn't buy one.