Will tourism in Thailand bounce back from Covid differently?

webfact

On 3/28/2022 at 4:57 AM, Fairynuff said:
On 3/28/2022 at 4:48 AM, eggzthaioz said:

Thai government officials and decision makers just don't get it.

While all the stupid restrictions are in place tourists aren't going to come.

As a long term visitor over 45 years I'm off to Cambodia to spend my tourist $$$. Then off to Vietnam for awhile.

Thailand won't be getting any of my doe ever again.

Bunch of idiots running the country. 

Expand  

I’m sure Thailand is devastated by this news.

In case you’d not noticed Thailand’s tourist industry is already devastated by the many who have already replicated the decision of this poster..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You obviously are not aware of Thai government health regulations. Present at any hospital and test positive to COVID, you will be hauled off to quarantine.

Clinics outside the hospital system are also obliged to report COVID-positive clients. Some do, some don't. That is one part of the lottery.

The second part of the lottery is whether you then become part of the public or private hospital system. In the private system, you have to pay for the 14 days, in sometimes eye-watering amounts. The public hospital system is free, but take it from someone who has been in it, very spartan. I like scrambled eggs, but not cold and 13 days in a row for breakfast. Sleeping on a 2" thick mattress was no fun either.

I'm not saying everyone will go into quarantine, it is like Immigration where it depends on the province, and who is running the system. But why come here as a tourist for a two week holiday, and risk having it completely ruined?

Hey, without all the brouhaha  - Why oh why would you present yourself to a public hospital?

If you've got Omicron, you will know it (unless symptomatic, so ignorant bliss). Sniffles and throat (me), maybe mild headache and slight fever (wife). So you take a 100 baht ATK test. 

It will confirm, so you self isolate and test 8-10 days later to ensure you're negative.

Some people like to complicate things. Many tourists are now coming over and I'm yet to hear of anyone presenting themselves to a public hospital, let alone getting the 14 days quarantine.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Donga said:

Hey, without all the brouhaha  - Why oh why would you present yourself to a public hospital?

If you've got Omicron, you will know it (unless symptomatic, so ignorant bliss). Sniffles and throat (me), maybe mild headache and slight fever (wife). So you take a 100 baht ATK test. 

It will confirm, so you self isolate and test 8-10 days later to ensure you're negative.

Some people like to complicate things. Many tourists are now coming over and I'm yet to hear of anyone presenting themselves to a public hospital, let alone getting the 14 days quarantine.

Read my post again, and what I said about clinics.

I got caught in the net when I accompanied my Thai GF to the provincial hospital. She was a lot sicker than I was, she had not been vaccinated. I tested positive, sore throat and slightly runny nose. Off to quarantine, both of you.

I'm not complicating anything, just pointing out the risk involved. If you are smart enough to use an ATK test and self-isolate, you should be smart enough to realize not everyone will do the same.

• Like 2

I am impressed to read that you manage to enjoy your golf games and at the same time get so much insight with social reality in Thailand thanks to your caddies.

Well, my point is that mass tourism as we knew it in Thailand before the covid has no future.

Between 2014 and 2019, the number of arrivals in thailand grew from 25 millions to 39 millions.

I visited Krabi in 2019 and it was already unbearable.

I found on wikipedia a forecast probably pre-covid of 80 millions of visitors in 2030. That is ridiculous.

So yes, at this level I wish we get rid of mass tourism as it was evolving in Thailand.

Also, during this period, and every year since 2014, inequalities grow in Thailand. So is mass tourism as we were seeing it a source of social progress or any progress whatsoever ? That would deserve more thinking than "governments" have shown and will probably show in SE Asia and particularly in Thailand.

If I can make an exception to my wish, I don't mind golfers come back to Thailand. They stay in golf resorts and have fun in their golf courses and I have no interaction with them of any sort, which is fine for me. That could help your caddies to reach their amazing 9-10 000 bahts income and heal your broken heart.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

In case you’d not noticed Thailand’s tourist industry is already devastated by the many who have already replicated the decision of this poster..

What I noticed was the country being shut down, not people like him deciding not to come.

43 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:
1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

What I noticed was the country being shut down, not people like him deciding not to come.

The country isn’t "shut down" - people can still come ,as I did myself in December 2021  ,but with 14 days quarantine and as a returning resident. Thailand still wants tourists to come ,but the conditions even now,are such that the vast majority reject that offer . So it is very much ‘people like him' exercising their choice to go elsewhere that doesn’t insist on the daft second test after 5 days with the horrendous implications of a positive test. The country has thus caused the effective 'shut down' of its businesses who can’t economically survive. Simple cause and effect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrNatural said:

I am impressed to read that you manage to enjoy your golf games and at the same time get so much insight with social reality in Thailand thanks to your caddies.

Well, my point is that mass tourism as we knew it in Thailand before the covid has no future.

Between 2014 and 2019, the number of arrivals in thailand grew from 25 millions to 39 millions.

I visited Krabi in 2019 and it was already unbearable.

I found on wikipedia a forecast probably pre-covid of 80 millions of visitors in 2030. That is ridiculous.

So yes, at this level I wish we get rid of mass tourism as it was evolving in Thailand.

Also, during this period, and every year since 2014, inequalities grow in Thailand. So is mass tourism as we were seeing it a source of social progress or any progress whatsoever ? That would deserve more thinking than "governments" have shown and will probably show in SE Asia and particularly in Thailand.

If I can make an exception to my wish, I don't mind golfers come back to Thailand. They stay in golf resorts and have fun in their golf courses and I have no interaction with them of any sort, which is fine for me. That could help your caddies to reach their amazing 9-10 000 bahts income and heal your broken heart.

I'm impressed by your capacity for gratuitous sarcasm, and empathy.

Masses of tourists don't bother me, as I am not where they are, and in high season know the places to avoid. Many of my favorite places are never seen by the average tourist. Perhaps you have not acquired those skills as a described newbie, or does that only apply to your appearance on this forum?

You may be right about mass tourism having no future, and also about the lack of social progress. It's quite evident the business model of airlines has changed drastically with COVID.

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Thailand? Isn't that a country in SE Asia that used to popular.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, vandeventer said:

Laying on the beach with a mask on, the impression of the mask with the hot sun will make us look like alliins

Is the mask obligatory on the beach ??

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The country isn’t "shut down" - people can still come ,as I did myself in December 2021  ,but with 14 days quarantine and as a returning resident. Thailand still wants tourists to come ,but the conditions even now,are such that the vast majority reject that offer . So it is very much ‘people like him' exercising their choice to go elsewhere that doesn’t insist on the daft second test after 5 days with the horrendous implications of a positive test. The country has thus caused the effective 'shut down' of its businesses who can’t economically survive. Simple cause and effect. 

Oh forget it you clearly miss the point

On 3/28/2022 at 2:53 AM, LivingNThailand said:

When I tell my friends that Thai Food is terrible, they can't believe me.  Thai Food cooked in Thai restaurants in the United States is much better and healthier than Thailand, for the most part.  I do have a few favorite  restaurants  that when I put in my Mai Sai list (no sugar, little oil, no msg, etc) it turns out pretty good.

Why do  you stay in Thailand then, if USA makes better thai food ??

2 hours ago, daejung said:

Why do  you stay in Thailand then, if USA makes better thai food ??

I didn’t move to Thailand to eat Thai food 24/7.  I usually eat at home.  And if I do eat Thai food out I have a couple of restaurants I go to that will modify it for me and make it “healthier “.  I was very shocked to find out how much sugar is in everything here.  Sugar is even one of the four condiments that is put on the table.  You add in all that oil they use and the msg it’s not that good. Just not for me.  But I didn’t say other people shouldn’t enjoy it.  ????????

6 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The point is your argument is demonstrably specious and the toys are out of the pram because of your frustration at that being illustrated.

Still not getting it then, move on please or carry on talking to yourself