Government Expresses Concern Over Dengue Fever and Summer Thunderstorms

webfact

8cb5555aa3a8a128c691228f1aacc47c_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has expressed concern over seasonal dengue fever and other risks that come with summer thunderstorms this year.

According to Government Spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha voiced his concerns about people’s health due to volatile weather caused by summer thunderstorms. He said flooding and rainstorms have created stagnant water in many areas, which have become breeding grounds for mosquitoes that transmit viruses, such as the type that cause dengue, malaria and other vector-borne diseases.

The prime minister has instructed officials to be on alert for any potential outbreaks while eliminating mosquito breeding grounds in their respective areas. The general public is meanwhile advised to remain vigilant and closely monitor their health amid ongoing COVID-19 and influenza outbreaks.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

People experiencing high fever or fatigue should take an ATK test and monitor for any symptoms. If the ATK results come back negative but the symptoms persist after 48 hours, authorities recommend seeing a doctor as soon as possible.

The spokesperson also stressed other risks that came with summer thunderstorms, such as venomous animals fleeing inundated areas into residential zones or parasites coming in with the floods.

He added that Gen Prayut was aware of the situation and has instructed relevant agencies to be ready to provide immediate assistance to affected residents. He also requested cooperation from all sides maintaining measures and guidelines to ensure public safety.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I think there are trials in Oz on genetic engineering so only males are born. I believe the dengue problem is much worse in Oz than Thailand.

I had it about 12 years ago, not a pleasant experience but no doubt the antivaxers will be telling everyone no worse than the common cold.

Can you get vaccinated to protect from Dengue ? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Humans....never learn not to mess with nature. 

The mosquitos, although a total pain for us humans, have a role to play in nature.  Many fish and amphibians feed off them when they are young.  Without the mosquitoes many other animals won't survive, no fish...the birds and other animals that eat fish will decline.   

Mosquitoes also are a form of population control for mammals...the weaker mammals dying die to the diseases they spread and stopping overpopulation. 

Mosquitoes are also the main food for many bar species.

Australia keeps introducing new animals to control others and it's always worked out for the worse.  Genetically changing wild animals is totally unethical and these people are only interested in the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Humans....never learn not to mess with nature. 

The mosquitos, although a total pain for us humans, have a role to play in nature.  Many fish and amphibians feed off them when they are young.  Without the mosquitoes many other animals won't survive, no fish...the birds and other animals that eat fish will decline.   

Mosquitoes also are a form of population control for mammals...the weaker mammals dying die to the diseases they spread and stopping overpopulation. 

Mosquitoes are also the main food for many bar species.

Australia keeps introducing new animals to control others and it's always worked out for the worse.  Genetically changing wild animals is totally unethical and these people are only interested in the money. 

I agree to some extent but messing with nature is something we all do all the time. Putting bleach down a drain is messing with nature.

As for mozzies, losing a few fish and birds is a price worth paying. I am a mozzie magnet, so they're one of the worst things about foreign travel for me. I even get bitten in my house in Northern UK (just been bitten on my hand). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Can you get vaccinated to protect from Dengue ? 

Check it......but I think there was a large scale trial in Indonesia?

Protection generally improved, but for those who did contract dengue the mortality rate shot up......that is all from pure memory. It was abandoned.....I think

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I am a mozzie magnet, so they're one of the worst things about foreign travel for me. I even get bitten in my house in Northern UK (just been bitten on my hand). 

This really works, 5 minutes and the bite no longer itches.

systral-cream-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

This really works, 5 minutes and the bite no longer itches.

systral-cream-1.jpg

So does spitting on it, well that works for me ???? Whenever I get bitten I just rub some spittle on it and within 5 mins the itch has stopped.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Missing letters
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So does spitting on it, well that works for me ???? Whenever I get bitten I just rub some spittle on it and within 5 mins the it h has stopped.

Ooooo....must try that.....cheers.

50 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So does spitting on it, well that works for me ???? Whenever I get bitten I just rub some spittle on it and within 5 mins the itch has stopped.

I still rely on the old fashioned remedy for a bite and simply rub Dettol on it. 

5 hours ago, Tall Midget said:

Hopefully someone will develop an experimental vaccine that we can keep jabbing ourselves with every 3 months for it.

Never mind the facts, keep posting garbage.

Dengue vaccine is a vaccine used to prevent dengue fever in humans.[1] Development of dengue vaccines began in the 1920s, but was hindered by the need to create immunity against all four dengue serotypes.[2]

As of 2021, one version is commercially available, known as CYD-TDV, and sold under the brand name Dengvaxia.[3] The vaccine is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected.[3] The value of the vaccine is limited by the fact that it may increase the risk of severe dengue in those who have not previously been infected.[4][3] In 2017, more than 733,000 children and more than 50,000 adult volunteers were vaccinated with CYD-TDV regardless of serostatus, which led to a controversy.[5]

In March 2021, the European Medicines Agency accepted the filing package for vaccine candidate TAK-003, which is designated for people not previously infected.[6]

There are several other vaccine candidates in development including live attenuated, inactivated, DNA and subunit vaccines.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine#:~:text=Dengue vaccine is a vaccine,under the brand name Dengvaxia.

• Thanks 2