Government Expresses Concern Over Dengue Fever and Summer Thunderstorms

webfact

5 hours ago, worrab said:

For goodness sakes!!! Hasn't Thailand been through all this weather and mozzie problems for hundreds of years and survived? Does it really need Prayut and his cronies to tell everyone about this and will that make a difference? I thought not.

They tell me ignorance is bliss,  any confirmation.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

If they go then it will be big problems.   

And even bigger problems if they don't.

Anyone on blood thinning medication need to be particularly cautious. That type of mosquito used to be quite regional but with modern mobility they can just get on the bus.

I got Dengue at a hotel in Pattaya.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-advised-to-be-aware-of-dengue-fever-re-emergence-in-thailand/

5 hours ago, chang1 said:

I agree to some extent but messing with nature is something we all do all the time. Putting bleach down a drain is messing with nature.

As for mozzies, losing a few fish and birds is a price worth paying. I am a mozzie magnet, so they're one of the worst things about foreign travel for me. I even get bitten in my house in Northern UK (just been bitten on my hand). 

There must definitely be something that attracts mossies to some, but not others.

Many years ago on holiday in Goa with a friend, I used to walk around in shorts , flip flops and t-shirt, and they hardly bit me. Even when they did, I just got a little non itchy red mark. Meanwhile my friend, who was sprayed up, wore long sleeved shirt, jeans and cowboy boots was getting driven mad. They were going up the jeans, down the boots and biting him through his socks, Large red spots on his ankles.

The worry there at the time was malaria, and we had taken prophylaxis.

They still don't bother me too much. Still a little red mark when bitten. But you only need to be bitten once by a  carrier, and that is what happened to me about four years ago when I caught dengue. So I try to be more careful nowadays.

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Yes. Dengvaxia. Been available since last year.

IF you read about that vaccine, you better take care.

They tried in Philippines and it is not quite what they expect from it, the program was abandoned.

Thailand is in a co working with Australia and some others to have genetic modified males.

No longer being able to reproduce. So where are those ones to control mosquito population, if Thailand is so concerned?

In other countries (Africa, South America) they work like this.

As mosquitoes have  a wider range of illnesses spreading under humans and animals.   

Thai government should educate people about mosquito and let them ditch many puddles when they come up in rainy seasons. Of course you cant ditch a rice field, 555

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Never mind the facts, keep posting garbage.

Dengue vaccine is a vaccine used to prevent dengue fever in humans.[1] Development of dengue vaccines began in the 1920s, but was hindered by the need to create immunity against all four dengue serotypes.[2]

As of 2021, one version is commercially available, known as CYD-TDV, and sold under the brand name Dengvaxia.[3] The vaccine is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected.[3] The value of the vaccine is limited by the fact that it may increase the risk of severe dengue in those who have not previously been infected.[4][3] In 2017, more than 733,000 children and more than 50,000 adult volunteers were vaccinated with CYD-TDV regardless of serostatus, which led to a controversy.[5]

In March 2021, the European Medicines Agency accepted the filing package for vaccine candidate TAK-003, which is designated for people not previously infected.[6]

There are several other vaccine candidates in development including live attenuated, inactivated, DNA and subunit vaccines.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine#:~:text=Dengue vaccine is a vaccine,under the brand name Dengvaxia.

Looks quite a nasty vaccine to me, surprised someone has not come along and told us the benefit outweighs the risk. ????

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

IF you read about that vaccine, you better take care.

They tried in Philippines and it is not quite what they expect from it, the program was abandoned.

Thailand is in a co working with Australia and some others to have genetic modified males.

No longer being able to reproduce. So where are those ones to control mosquito population, if Thailand is so concerned?

In other countries (Africa, South America) they work like this.

As mosquitoes have  a wider range of illnesses spreading under humans and animals.   

Thai government should educate people about mosquito and let them ditch many puddles when they come up in rainy seasons. Of course you cant ditch a rice field, 555

There are not usually too many mosquito in rice fields...at least not organic ones ..as small fish and water insects eat the mosquito eggs and young. 

12 hours ago, Cadan said:

And… the show must go on… some people are so deep into the business for protection of virus stuff that they need to keep It going ???????????? - enough media will scare still enough people to make sure a small percentage continue to buy all kind of virus protection +++

Dengue is bad stuff.

Nothing wrong alerting people not to leave standing water or old tires about the villages.

Hopefully get some extra fogging going.

Not much you can do but take steps for mosquitoe abatement.

• Like 1

I know someone, Les S., who has had three of the four dengue strains.  The last one he did not have a fever.  I'll send this link to him. 

Fogging seems to be local houses and areas paying for fogging.  We live just south of Hua Hin.  A few years back the "or-boh-sor" paid for fogging.  Our house at the end of the street was ignored.  It is a puzzlement.

Terry

On 3/28/2022 at 9:10 AM, jak2002003 said:

Humans....never learn not to mess with nature. 

The mosquitos, although a total pain for us humans, have a role to play in nature.  Many fish and amphibians feed off them when they are young.  Without the mosquitoes many other animals won't survive, no fish...the birds and other animals that eat fish will decline.   

Mosquitoes also are a form of population control for mammals...the weaker mammals dying die to the diseases they spread and stopping overpopulation. 

Mosquitoes are also the main food for many bar species.

Australia keeps introducing new animals to control others and it's always worked out for the worse.  Genetically changing wild animals is totally unethical and these people are only interested in the money. 

One thing to bear in mind here though, is that there are over three thousand species of mosquito and this would only affect a single one, leaving 99.97% of mosquitoes unaffected.

So even if every single Aedes Aegypti mosquito were wiped out it would have only a minuscule effect on the total number of mosquitoes in the world.

It's also worth noting that this species of mosquito was native to only a small area of sub-tropical Africa until recently and has been artificially introduced elsewhere by human activity, such as the trade in tyres (which was how it was introduced into Florida in the 1980’s - so it actually doesn't belong there).

It also only evolved a domestic form relatively recently that feeds exclusively on humans (its ancestral form, which still exists, preys primarily on non-human animals) and getting rid of all of the domestic variety (even if possible, which it may not be) would actually only be putting the species back to where it was a few decades ago.

Evolution of mosquito preference for humans linked to an odorant

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tall Midget said:

Looks quite a nasty vaccine to me, surprised someone has not come along and told us the benefit outweighs the risk. ????

What did you find difficult about this sentence.

"The vaccine is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected."

At this point in time there is no effective vaccine but that will not stop the antivaxers spreading garbage, facts are an alien concept.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

One thing to bear in mind here though, is that there are over three thousand species of mosquito and this would only affect a single one, leaving 99.97% of mosquitoes unaffected.

So even if every single Aedes Aegypti mosquito were wiped out it would have only a minuscule effect on the total number of mosquitoes in the world.

It's also worth noting that this species of mosquito was native to only a small area of sub-tropical Africa until recently and has been artificially introduced elsewhere by human activity, such as the trade in tyres (which was how it was introduced into Florida in the 1980’s - so it actually doesn't belong there).

It also only evolved a domestic form relatively recently that feeds exclusively on humans (its ancestral form, which still exists, preys primarily on non-human animals) and getting rid of all of the domestic variety (even if possible, which it may not be) would actually only be putting the species back to where it was a few decades ago.

Wow. Great post, thanks for that information! 

I'm not so against it now.  Just hope it would work then ..and not have some negative unexpected result like making the male mosquito into man eating giant zombies. 

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Good post. Many seem to be unaware that the Dengue mosquito is not a run of the mill mossie and that it has a preference for humans.

It is an increasing problem and it would be irresponsible of  the government not to keep people aware of the danger, after all the virus is potentially fatal.

16 hours ago, Valentine said:

Have not seen a team out fogging for a long time

We get them fairly regularly around here but the wet season has come very early this year so I doubt if scheduled yet.

Fogging is aimed at  controlling the general mosquito population and not really anything to do with dengue. The dengue species will be around human habitat rather than fields and ditches, any benefit would be by accident rather than intent.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

What did you find difficult about this sentence.

"The vaccine is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected."

At this point in time there is no effective vaccine but that will not stop the antivaxers spreading garbage, facts are an alien concept.

Didn't find any difficulty at all, seems you just want to argue with who doesn't share your point of view, apparently anyone who disagrees with you is an anti vaxxer. A little narrow minded to say the least.