Visiting Koh Larn

AventurasEnMadrid

24 minutes ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

where the bus at Ekkamai drops me off in Pattaya? Are the multiple drop-off points? 

The Ekkamai bus goes to the bus station at North Pattaya rd.

Can't remember that there was another drop off point after leaving the motorway.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The Ekkamai bus goes to the bus station at North Pattaya rd.

Can't remember that there was another drop off point after leaving the motorway.

Sometimes they drop off to the north,  Laem Chabang, Rhong Po... but nowhere closer to  the ferry stops. There is a pay for baht bus service from the North Rd Rong Reuen bus station, which will take you to your hotel... 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sometimes they drop off to the north,  Laem Chabang, Rhong Po... but nowhere closer to  the ferry stops. There is a pay for baht bus service from the North Rd Rong Reuen bus station, which will take you to your hotel... 

Thanks @jacko45k, do you know if that baht bus service will drop me off close to the ferry? Or do you know about how much a Grab/Bolt would be from the place they drop me off to the ferry?

4 minutes ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Thanks @jacko45k, do you know if that baht bus service will drop me off close to the ferry? Or do you know about how much a Grab/Bolt would be from the place they drop me off to the ferry?

They would, but have a habit of asking for extra money... might depend on how many were going there. Not been using Grab, but Bolt has always been cheap.... maybe 70-80 baht. You would stay on the bus to the bus station. 

• Like 2

BOLT much recommended.

Avoid the chartered Baht buses.

Either you drive alone and pay no less than 200 (for sitting on a bench in the back of a pickup), or there a other passengers with different drop off points.

Will result in a nice city roundtrip up to an hour.

Experienced this once and never again.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Take a baht bus from the bus station and get off at the end of Beach Rd, near walking St. You can walk straight down walking street to Bali Hai pier, not far. Don't purchase a ferry ticket from touts at Bali Hair in advance, buy it when you enter the boat, only 30 baht one way. 

You mention you are looking for recommendations for Koh Larn on a budget. I suggest you  hire a motorbike on arrival to avoid the hefty fares. The quality of accommodation is not balanced to the price on Koh Larn. You will spend more than you expect for decent accommodation even on a budget. I can't offer specific suggestions as usually stay at one of the more premium options, but price to value not the same as on the mainland.

• Like 1

Thanks @webhost@KhunBENQ& @jacko45k for the great advice!

I already have accommodation from Agoda (600 baht/night for what looks to be a basic but nice place),  but if you guys have any thoughts on restaurants or bars you liked there, best beaches to check out, hiking trails, or anything else that comes to mind about Koh Larn, I'm all ears.

Best beach imo: Tien beach, 2nd place Monkey beach when it's high tide. But you can explore the whole of Koh Larn in 1 day with a motorbike if you wanted. It's a small island and easy to get around on a scooter. Also it's very quiet now because of no Chinese so even the main beach looks ok. ????

Accomodations, I have no idea, I only go for daytrips. ????

And yes, Use Bolt if you can. Easy and cheap for transportation.

Have fun!

Edited by ExpatDraco

On 3/29/2022 at 12:19 AM, AventurasEnMadrid said:

They will take you wherever you want to go, but you'll probably be paying extra.

Can't imagine a taxi would be significantly cheaper, but who knows these days.

If you don't have a big bag there used to be m'bike taxis.

Don't take the wrong, expensive ferry.

23 hours ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Thanks @webhost@KhunBENQ& @jacko45k for the great advice!

I already have accommodation from Agoda (600 baht/night for what looks to be a basic but nice place),  but if you guys have any thoughts on restaurants or bars you liked there, best beaches to check out, hiking trails, or anything else that comes to mind about Koh Larn, I'm all ears.

It's small, and the hills are very, very steep.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:14 AM, KhunBENQ said:

BOLT much recommended.

Avoid the chartered Baht buses.

Either you drive alone and pay no less than 200 (for sitting on a bench in the back of a pickup), or there a other passengers with different drop off points.

Will result in a nice city roundtrip up to an hour.

Experienced this once and never again.

WOW! I thought it outrageous when they charged 50 baht for a drop off at the hotel.

I guess Pattaya is not cheap and cheerful any more.

I thought the round the city tour to drop off the passengers was great as I got to see places I never knew about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WOW! I thought it outrageous when they charged 50 baht for a drop off at the hotel.

I guess Pattaya is not cheap and cheerful any more.

I thought the round the city tour to drop off the passengers was great as I got to see places I never knew about.

Bolt for sure.

Get of the bus and get to Koh Larn and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Could someone tell me where the bus at Ekkamai drops me off in Pattaya?

The bus will, upon request, drop you off at safe places that are along their route.  Ask before you board the bus.

The bust drops you off here:

https://goo.gl/maps/9xxfscCdTrk1QCUs6

There are songthaews waiting at the bus station that will take you to the ferry for 30 baht one way.  Very easy.

bus.thumb.jpg.c69465f6bfeee85abdebda1533d5d57e.jpg

Edited by asiacurious

44 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

The bus will, upon request, drop you off at safe places that are along their route.  Ask before you board the bus.

The bust drops you off here:

https://goo.gl/maps/9xxfscCdTrk1QCUs6

There are songthaews waiting at the bus station that will take you to the ferry for 30 baht one way.  Very easy.

bus.thumb.jpg.c69465f6bfeee85abdebda1533d5d57e.jpg

Cheers. That's exactly what I found out when I came yesterday. The minivan from Ekkamai dropped me off right next to the pier, super convenient. 

Then I had to wait an hour for the public ferry for 30 baht (or I had the option of a speedboat for 130 baht).

Good vibes in Koh Larn. It's a bit busy but very nice people and beaches.

3 hours ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Cheers. That's exactly what I found out when I came yesterday. The minivan from Ekkamai dropped me off right next to the pier, super convenient. 

Yes I was going to post for the OP that I thought (but was unsure) that the minibus service from Ekamai actually had a service to the ferry terminus. Not a fan of them myself, cramped and dangerous, compared to the coach service.

• Like 2