Family get shock bill - 40,000 baht for nothing more than paracetamol

webfact

3 minutes ago, new2here said:

I know of two people (both foreigners) first-hand who in the last month or so, self-tested (ie home ATK) positive without symptoms…. but rather than go to the hospital for care etc, just stayed home - literally 24/7- for about a week, plus or minus a few days, then when they double tested negative C-19, just carried on as normal. 

Their logic was, rightly or wrongly, they didn’t want the possible risk of getting trapped in some kind of cash-driven healthcare solution … be that a forced stay at huge prices, etc…. They just essentially flew “under the radar” until they tested negative again.. 

Not so sure I agree with the idea of a home stay without FIRST consulting a legit healthcare provider—- but i cede that there IS a risk of getting caught up in what ends being for some, a fairly massive cost that seems to be outside of your control as the patient. 

so to that end, I can see the logic there. 

They did not know about the home isolation program in place that has been set up in order to reduce the hospitals and such being loaded up.....Sorry to hear that they felt they would be forced into somewhere if indeed they were expats and not tourists....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

There is proper treatment for a disease and then there is opportunity to scam money (fraudulent by the way) under the disguise of covid

Test and Go comes to mind…

I wouldn’t say T&G itself is a money scam …  because i can make a case for wanting to know who enters the country and their health status…

to that end, I can agree with the concept 

Where I think T&G kind of grows wrong is the lack of objectivity and clear definitions and process flow.

I would have preferred the government fix/set the price for the Day 1 PCR .. each hotel can set their own prices for the room, food, transport parts - but the C19 test may only be charged at the government set price of X.. That way nicer hotels can charge more and perhaps more basic ones less- but the PCR cost is fixed. 

concurrent with that, I’d prefer the ministry of health also explicitly define under what conditions will a person be:

- mandated hospital stay

- offered optional home isolation 

- be released or forced to remain 

and lastly, that the OIC or Ministry of Commerce set rules about how insurance, billing and pre-payments are handled.

In all, I just want more clarity so everyone knows what the rules ate, what they are not and what’s explicitly defined or not.

I don’t think the government should be involved in the day-to-day care aspect,  but I DO think they need to set up a process that people can follow, understand and reduces chances for willful abuse, fraud or even misunderstandings. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They said they were advised that by paying it into a certain fund first they would be able to get it back later

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Investigations are underway as the possibility of a misunderstanding is mulled.

And they wonder why some do not report infections.

• Like 2

I know of a farang husband, Thai wife couple who tested positive with mild symptoms in a nearby province recently.

Wife contacted the covid line and were assessed over the phone by the Govt hospital Dr to home isolate.

Wife received free medication while husband required to pay 2,250 Baht, with official receipt, for his Favipuravir.

Care package with medications delivered to their door by the local covid team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Imagine being a tourist, strange country/language, no home to do house quarantine, an insurance company that decides they wont cover asymptomatic.

You mean like me when I went to the UK, having no home to go to I had to do a week in quarantine at the Gatwick Holiday Inn at my own expense. 

What if I had tested positive pre departure, it would have been the same all over again.

If you want to travel you have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadan said:

There is zero consumer protection in this country. It’s a joke. I parted with 2500 baht medication that costs 350 baht. Thus my only advise is do not buy Pharma at any hospital - refuse it 

The pharmacy at my hospital is significantly cheaper than any of the ones on the street, saved about 30% on hypertension tablets getting them from the hospital.

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

This is typical of the Thai money making mindset. As there are so few tourists requiring treatment foir cuts and bruises, Covid is the ideal way to make up the shortfall on  profits - "legal profiteering" to keep the fat cats in charge happy.

And this is typical of the falang Thai bashing mindset.

Costs me 100 baht to have appointment with both the dermatologist and cardiologist.

Would you have me register a complaint?

• Like 1

When i was ill i spent one night in a private hospital 52k one baby asprin 27 baht , 3 nights in govt hospital with tests ,x rays ,scans etc ,about 40k including 8 kinds of meds for 3 months ,great service there. oh plus an ambulance to collect me.

one other thing i  get eye drops for eye pressure ,govt hospital 780 baht.farcino 1278 baht ,private hospital 2500 baht.

Edited by ivor bigun

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

forget coke n the other stuff start dealing paracetamol 40.000 

The paracetamol cost 59b, Did you read the full OP or just the shock jock thread title ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, firestar said:

Err.. no. I had covid here and was given the breakdown of all the costs at the start. But don't let it stop you from having a little cry and playing the victim at a situation you made up  .

Just par for his (Thai-bashing) course here!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The family (of four) weren't at a 7-11, they were at a hospital for a Covid check where paracetamol is charged at B59.

Do what everyone else does...

Don't purchase over the counter medicine from the hospital.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1