Family get shock bill - 40,000 baht for nothing more than paracetamol

webfact

12 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Their four bills did also, as clearly shown in the photo, one item at B10,000 another at B59.

Itemized.

You don't put on a bill:

Fixed broken car

10,000 baht.

The reason it's not itemized properly is because its a scam.

What was the specific description that was clearly shown in the photo notated on their bills for the B10k item that you, obviously, must have translated?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What was the specific description that was notated on their bills for the B10k item that you, obviously, must have translated?

Its says COVID treatment.

All they did was dispense over priced para then sent them home.

Can you read the article before spouting nonsense.

I don't believe that you translated that itemised bill!   There are two lines of narrative alongside the itemised B10k that I'd guess, probably, says more than just "Covid treatment".   

By the way, what gave you the idea that it says "COVID treatment", it doesn't say that in the OP, have you seen it somewhere else?   To use your own not-so-well-chosen words, "can you read the article before spouting nonsense?".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't believe that you translated that itemised bill!   There are two lines of narrative alongside the itemised B10k that I'd guess, probably, says more than just "Covid treatment".   

By the way, what gave you the idea that it says "COVID treatment", it doesn't say that in the OP, have you seen it somewhere else?   To use your own not-so-well-chosen words, "can you read the article before spouting nonsense?".

In Thailand 10,000 for nothing is expensive.

Maybe wherever you're living (definitely not Thailand) its reasonable.

• Like 2

I'm sure they see you coming a mile away.

If you ever make it to Thailand you'll need to be awares.

I've seen to many people like you loose everything to simple scams.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments removed
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Expand  

I'm sure they see you coming a mile away.

If you ever make it to Thailand you'll need to be awares.

I've seen to many people like you loose everything to simple scams.

Thanks for confirming that, as I suspected, you have no idea what that itemised bill specifically says.

I am here, been here for decades and you have not "seen many people like me" as I have never been scammed here.   I don't need to take much notice of the generally speculative and inaccurate garbage that is regularly posted anonymously on forums in Thailand, I'm quite capable of forming conclusions based on actual evidence that I have personally seen or experienced.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cadan said:

There is zero consumer protection in this country. It’s a joke. I parted with 2500 baht medication that costs 350 baht. Thus my only advise is do not buy Pharma at any hospital - refuse it 

Not always possible, some medications are only available at hospital pharmacies and are withheld from street pharmacies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Private Hospitals in Thailand  ... scam scam scam!  even on their local people.

Avoid them at every turn or prepare to be fleeced.

I speak from recent experience

did the family in the OP go to a private hospital ?

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not always possible, some medications are only available at hospital pharmacies and are withheld from street pharmacies.

Luckily Paracetamol is readily Available at a reasonable cost at any 7/11.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hioctane said:

So now everyone thinks doctors are free. They pay all that money to go through medical school and they shouldn’t be paid.

So you think a 40,000 baht bill is fair for the treatment the family received ???

(which by the way was paracetamol & go home & isolate) 

• Like 1

Some things about this report are very clear:

Such as, the 10,000 baht charge per person was some kind of hospital charge, not the charge for the Tylenol, which was a minor add-on.

When they had recovered they went to get doctor's certificates and were each slapped with a bill for 10,059 baht - 10K for Covid services and 59 for the paracetamol.

Some things aren't clear at all, such as:

--Was this a government or a private hospital? Sounds like it probably was a private hospital, but who knows?  If it was a government hospital, AFAIK, Thais should not have been hit with any kind of charges like that.

--Did the hospital service provided to the 4 family members include a confirming RT-PCR test for each? If so, that alone could have added a couple thousand baht of hospital charges per person, without them ever being admitted or otherwise treated.

A family in the north east who all tested positive for Covid-19

--What the heck was the following mention in the OP article about...which went unexplained?

They said they were advised that by paying it into a certain fund first they would be able to get it back later.

Kinda like buying COVID 19 hospital lottery tickets???  ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, new2here said:

I know of two people (both foreigners) first-hand who in the last month or so, self-tested (ie home ATK) positive without symptoms…. but rather than go to the hospital for care etc, just stayed home - literally 24/7- for about a week, plus or minus a few days, then when they double tested negative C-19, just carried on as normal. 

Their logic was, rightly or wrongly, they didn’t want the possible risk of getting trapped in some kind of cash-driven healthcare solution … be that a forced stay at huge prices, etc…. They just essentially flew “under the radar” until they tested negative again.. 

Not so sure I agree with the idea of a home stay without FIRST consulting a legit healthcare provider—- but i cede that there IS a risk of getting caught up in what ends being for some, a fairly massive cost that seems to be outside of your control as the patient. 

so to that end, I can see the logic there. 

I also know a number of people, with mild symptoms, who have done the same thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

You will get a lot of disturbed and antisocial nerds with no EQ at all who pass the entrance exams.

But they are the top 1% of the population in terms of I.Q..... Not everyone can get into medicine degree at uni and not everyone can pass either

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the things that's been really bad about the government's whole handling and communicating of this has been their handling of the so-called home quarantine program for non-Thais.  The varied accounts that get posted here over time by non-Thais seem to reflect quite a variation of what happens to no symptom or mild symptom cases -- sometimes they can stay at home, other times it seems they're forced into hospital or hospitel quarantine.  And it's been hard to discern any distinguishing rhyme or reason between the two.

I can understand the requirement of hospital or hospitel quarantine for positive COVID cases arising among actual incoming foreign tourists. They don't have a permanent home in Thailand to go to, so the government isn't going to just let them go free on their own.

But for expats and other non-Thai long-term residents here, it would seem, there ought to be a consistent policy to allow home quarantine -- unless the home setting (space, number of occupants, etc) doesn't permit it in an appropriate way. And it just doesn't seem from the various accounts that get posted here that that's occurring on a consistent basis.

What begins to sound like a more common theme is... if you test positive on your own at home, they'll let you stay at home. But if you happen to go to a hospital and test positive there, they're going to keep you (or try to keep you) either in the hospital or in its affiliated hospitel.  I'm not saying that's an actual policy because I've never heard/seen that it is. But the accounts from various posters certainly suggest there's an element of that going on.

The government really needed to be more clear for the expat community here about just what the real rules are for this whole thing!

Whole heartedly agree & would add the inconsistency and lack of information for Thais too. 

• Like 2