IDP Documents Required - A Surprise

Went to the DLT yesterday to obtain a new international driving permit for an upcoming trip abroad. The last time I did this, the list of required documents included a complete photocopy of my red police book, including, as very specifically advised to me, the page that shows that it is up-to-date.

This time there was no interest at all in my police book or certificate of residence. Just passport, Thai DLs, blue tabien baan and PINK CARD!

The requirement of the much-maligned pink card came as a shock. I had dutifully printed copies at home of my police book, residence certificate, blue tabien baan, passport, DLs, plane ticket (to jump the queue) and thought I had everything covered. This is the first time that any government entity (or private firm) has specifically required the pink card. I can't imagine what the pink card does that the blue tabien baan does not.

Anyway, mission accomplished. This was at the Bang Chak DLT office in Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Why not just do what normal people do?  Just go on line to a site like AAA and fill out the information,  pay equivalent of 500thb and get an international  driver permit sent to you without hassel?

Why not do what really normal people do and don't bother with IDPs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Why not just do what normal people do?  Just go on line to a site like AAA and fill out the information,  pay equivalent of 500thb and get an international  driver permit sent to you without hassel?

That would be of no use. An IDP, if it is required, must be issued in the same country as the holder's driver's license.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The auto rental company I use in the US requires an IDP in addition to the foreign license when renting. 

Ah yes. The USA and its quirky state laws. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/30/2022 at 7:38 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

You can get a international  driving permit,  recognized  in almost every country without having to go to TDLT.  You go online fill out questions, pay a small fee and they will mail you a international  license  with your photo.  Its easier than the hoops the OP describes  in the post.

8 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

You can get a international  driving permit,  recognized  in almost every country without having to go to TDLT.  You go online fill out questions, pay a small fee and they will mail you a international  license  with your photo.  Its easier than the hoops the OP describes  in the post.

Do you have a link for this service please. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:25 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The auto rental company I use in the US requires an IDP in addition to the foreign license when renting. 

Weird.  A Thai DL is also written in English (at least mine is).  Fine for renting cars in the UK.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 8:11 AM, Moonlover said:

Why not do what really normal people do and don't bother with IDPs?

The OP stated he has an upcoming trip abroad planned which most likely  involves driving.

What would you suggest he do regarding  getting a  valid license?       If he doesn't'  at least have an IDP he's definitely be subject to penalties.    

Would you recommend he forego getting the proper license?

24 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The OP stated he has an upcoming trip abroad planned which most likely  involves driving.

What would you suggest he do regarding  getting a  valid license?       If he doesn't'  at least have an IDP he's definitely be subject to penalties.    

Would you recommend he forego getting the proper license?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is NOT a license. For most countries they are not normally required which is why I queried it.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is NOT a license. For most countries they are not normally required which is why I queried it.

Who here has posted an IDP is a licence ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Weird.  A Thai DL is also written in English (at least mine is).  Fine for renting cars in the UK.

Good point.

In the past I held Thai DLs that were written only in Thai and always needed the IDP. I guess I may have lost track of the underlying reason and just assumed it was still required.  I'll see if Enterprise accepts my Thai DL without the IDP, but will have the IDP just in case.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:25 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

You could change rental companies.  I have rented several times, from several different majors  in US and never a question on the Thai DL.

As some one else stated above, the IDP is not a license and in no way allows you to drive in any country, it is only a translation of your existing license pertinent information into several different languages.  I in past diligently pursued the IDP for years but learned if the DL is printed in English pretty much waste of time and energy to obtain IDP.

But as always, opinions presented here are mine, mine alone and in no way are intended to contradict or challenge your opinion, experiences or beliefs.   In other words:   YMMV

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

You could change rental companies.  I have rented several times, from several different majors  in US and never a question on the Thai DL.

As some one else stated above, the IDP is not a license and in no way allows you to drive in any country, it is only a translation of your existing license pertinent information into several different languages.  I in past diligently pursued the IDP for years but learned if the DL is printed in English pretty much waste of time and energy to obtain IDP.

But as always, opinions presented here are mine, mine alone and in no way are intended to contradict or challenge your opinion, experiences or beliefs.   In other words:   YMMV

It has been a few years since I did my research on this, but I did look at other rental companies. I think they all required a credit card in order to rent. While I do have a credit card issued by a Thai bank, I don't have a credit card issued by a US bank, only a debit card. Enterprise will accept a debit card if you can show a travel itinerary when you check in. I prefer to pay US-incurred costs with funds in the US.

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I fully realize the IDP isn't a license but if  your statement is correct as a whole, it implies that a person needs no license at all in a foreign country.

I suspect that all countries require some form of licensure to drive.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I fully realize the IDP isn't a license but if  your statement is correct as a whole, it implies that a person needs no license at all in a foreign country.

The IDP isn't a license and by itself does not convey the right to drive. It is the underlying DL issued by the driver's state or country, provided that country is a signatory to the relevant road convention, that does.

I don't think it is possible to obtain a legitimate IDP without an underlying DL and an IDP can only be issued by the same country in which the underlying DL is issued.

In the US there are a dozen states that do not accept a foreign DL in the absence of an accompanying IDP even if the foreign DL is in English and despite international road conventions. If one rents a car in one state and merely drives into or through a state requiring an IDP one may have a problem if stopped by the police or, worse, has an accident in that state.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
clarity
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The O/P seems to have understood perfectly what I meant even if you didn't, so I'll call time on this discussion.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The O/P seems to have understood perfectly what I meant even if you didn't, so I'll call time on this discussion.

"Why not do what really normal people do and don't bother with IDPs?"

i took exception to you suggesting don't bother with an IDP which would leave him with only a foreign country DL which may not be valid.      I gather you don't understand that but perhaps I'm mistaken.

21 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:
On 3/30/2022 at 7:38 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

The AAA will only issue an IDP to those that already have a US state-issued driving license.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 7:08 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I can't imagine what the pink card does that the blue tabien baan does not.

For better understanding: could you explain what your residence status is?

Do you have a permanent resident status or are you in the blue book as a condo owner?

I am happy that our DLT accepts yellow house book/pink card as proof of residency.

Saves me hassle.

21 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

"Why not do what really normal people do and don't bother with IDPs?"

i took exception to you suggesting don't bother with an IDP which would leave him with only a foreign country DL which may not be valid.      I gather you don't understand that but perhaps I'm mistaken.

You did understand me. Most countries in the world will accept a foreign country's license providing it carries the holder's details in English. Which incudes, of course, a Thai license, which generally renders an IDP unnecessary.

However, it appears that there are a small number of states in the US that do require an IDP, despite the general conventions and the O/P is going to one of them. And he did understood my comment and enlightened on that matter.

All clear now? ????

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The AAA will only issue an IDP to those that already have a US state-issued driving license.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Fairly useless for someone in Thailand that does not have a US licence though.

not to mention the OP is travelling to the US... so why would he/she need an IDP if he/she had a US licence...........

Did you read the thread ?

Edited by Ralf001

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For better understanding: could you explain what your residence status is?

Do you have a permanent resident status or are you in the blue book as a condo owner?

I am happy that our DLT accepts yellow house book/pink card as proof of residency.

Saves me hassle.

I have permanent residency. My name is in the blue tabien baan for our family residence. 

I was not aware that the DLT wants to see the pink card and it puzzled me that they would want to see it if I presented the blue tabien baan with my name in it.

The last time I got an IDP, I had to submit a copy of my red police book, but was not asked for the pink card. This time, no request for police book, but wanted the pink card.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 1