IDP Documents Required - A Surprise

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You did understand me. Most countries in the world will accept a foreign country's license providing it carries the holder's details in English. Which incudes, of course, a Thai license, which generally renders an IDP unnecessary.

However, it appears that there are a small number of states in the US that do require an IDP, despite the general conventions and the O/P is going to one of them. And he did understood my comment and enlightened on that matter.

All clear now? ????

What states are you referring to? I think you are wrong about this. 

In any event, all the rental companies I have used have accepted the Thai DL. which I doubt they could do if the Thai DL were not valid in any of the United States. 

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The AAA will only issue an IDP to those that already have a US state-issued driving license.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Fairly useless for someone in Thailand that does not have a US licence though.

not to mention the OP is travelling to the US... so why would he/she need an IDP if he/she had a US licence...........

Did you read the thread ?

Did you read @WEBBYB808's posts that I was responding to?

Not everyone going back to drive in their home countries have a valid license issued in that country. That's why some foreigners, like the OP, who only have a Thai driving license, need to get their IDP issued in Thailand.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:
On 4/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, Crossy said:

Do you have a link for this service please. 

For AAA you can google.  If its another source and I think there must be others I woukd attempt  to google also

On the AAA website that I googled, they say they are one of only two US agencies that are legally allowed to issue an IDP to Americans or foreign residents of the US that possess a valid US state-issued driving license.

Before you post too much more disinformation, maybe you should google that other agency and check what they say?

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

For AAA you can google.  If its another source and I think there must be others I woukd attempt  to google also

This guy is in Thailand and is talking about getting an IDP here in Thailand for use with his Thailand licence.

Whether an IDP is required by law or not… for the sake of 500thb it could save you some hassle.. so best to get one… YES I do know a Thailand License has your name and address written in the english language.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What states are you referring to? I think you are wrong about this. 

In any event, all the rental companies I have used have accepted the Thai DL. which I doubt they could do if the Thai DL were not valid in any of the United States. 

Have a look at this website: https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Blog/October-2019/international-driving-permit-USA.aspx

I don't know if this information is correct or up-to-date, but it seems credible.

39 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Have a look at this website: https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Blog/October-2019/international-driving-permit-USA.aspx

I don't know if this information is correct or up-to-date, but it seems credible.

I can't speak to the others, but I rented a car in GA two years ago with my Thai DL

• Like 1

I've rented cars from Enterprise in, Ohio, West Virginia, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida using only my Thai DL. As long as it has your name in English it's ok. Paid for with my UK offshore credit card and holding a Canadian passport.

They don't seem to care as long as the money is paid.

Also been stopped on numerous occasions by police without a problem.

No accidents so no info about that should it happen to you.

18 hours ago, JAS21 said:

This guy is in Thailand and is talking about getting an IDP here in Thailand for use with his Thailand licence.

Whether an IDP is required by law or not… for the sake of 500thb it could save you some hassle.. so best to get one… YES I do know a Thailand License has your name and address written in the english language.

So you are saying if someone  has a Thai Driver's license  they dont qualify to get a IDP outside  of Thailand?  My IDP expired while I have been here the two years Covid Extension.   Immigration wrote me a memo free of charge, I took to DLT watched a video, and was given a Thai License,  its not difficult to get.  Nor does it seem like it would be to get an IDP online if one has a valid license  in any country.  And cheaper than paying for a Thai IDP which possibly  isnt recognized  in some countries.

26 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

So you are saying if someone  has a Thai Driver's license  they dont qualify to get a IDP outside  of Thailand? 

It is my understanding an IDP is only obtainable within the country the licence was issued so yes, A person would not be able to obtain an IDP against the Thai licence outside of Thailand.

To obtain an IDP against a Thai licence in Thailand, said licence be a 5 year full licence and not a 2 year temp licence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I've rented cars from Enterprise in, Ohio, West Virginia, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida using only my Thai DL. As long as it has your name in English it's ok. Paid for with my UK offshore credit card and holding a Canadian passport.

They don't seem to care as long as the money is paid.

Also been stopped on numerous occasions by police without a problem.

No accidents so no info about that should it happen to you.

I have both a CA & Thai license, and it is generally cheaper to rent using the Thai DL, as the insurance is typically included, while it seems to always be an added charge with the CA license.  

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

It is my understanding an IDP is only obtainable within the country the licence was issued so yes, A person would not be able to obtain an IDP against the Thai licence outside of Thailand.

To obtain an IDP against a Thai licence in Thailand, said licence be a 5 year full licence and not a 2 year temp licence.

That is correct….

On 4/1/2022 at 3:14 PM, In Full Agreement said:

The OP stated he has an upcoming trip abroad planned which most likely  involves driving.

What would you suggest he do regarding  getting a  valid license?       If he doesn't'  at least have an IDP he's definitely be subject to penalties.    

Would you recommend he forego getting the proper license?

A Thai license is valid in the UK.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:38 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

Why not just do what normal people do?  Just go on line to a site like AAA and fill out the information,  pay equivalent of 500thb and get an international  driver permit sent to you without hassel?

Is this yet another post where you failed to think before posting. 

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

So you are saying if someone  has a Thai Driver's license  they dont qualify to get a IDP outside  of Thailand?  My IDP expired while I have been here the two years Covid Extension.   Immigration wrote me a memo free of charge, I took to DLT watched a video, and was given a Thai License,  its not difficult to get.  Nor does it seem like it would be to get an IDP online if one has a valid license  in any country.  And cheaper than paying for a Thai IDP which possibly  isnt recognized  in some countries.

Aw gawd... Webby... you really should give up... 

Its an IDP.... the giveaway is in the name ‘international’... and it's accepted by any country which has signed up for the specific convention (1968 vienna being the latest) - most of the countries one is likely to visit is a signatory to one or another of the three conventions. 

Now... on to reading comprehension... This is not about the Op being able to drive in Thailand, it is about him wanting an International Driving Permit to accompany his Thai license so he can drive overseas in one of those nations he is visiting. 

An IDP must be obtained from the country in which the applicants driving licence is held. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aw gawd... Webby... you really should give up... 

Its an IDP.... the giveaway is in the name ‘international’... and it's accepted by any country which has signed up for the specific convention (1968 vienna being the latest) - most of the countries one is likely to visit is a signatory to one or another of the three conventions. 

Now... on to reading comprehension... This is not about the Op being able to drive in Thailand, it is about him wanting an International Driving Permit to accompany his Thai license so he can drive overseas in one of those nations he is visiting. 

An IDP must be obtained from the country in which the applicants driving licence is held. 

So the Op has never had a license  in their home country?  If they have then should. Not be an issue to get their license  in home country  via internet, and IDP via internet.  Anyway. Op can jump through the local hoops.  Always harder

On 4/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, NanLaew said:

Did you read @WEBBYB808's posts that I was responding to?

Not everyone going back to drive in their home countries have a valid license issued in that country. That's why some foreigners, like the OP, who only have a Thai driving license, need to get their IDP issued in Thailand.

In the UK you can use a Thai license.

15 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

So the Op has never had a license  in their home country?  If they have then should. Not be an issue to get their license  in home country  via internet, and IDP via internet.  Anyway. Op can jump through the local hoops.  Always harder

Are you saying that if your home county driver license expired ten years ago you can renew it online using your Thai address? Will they mail it to you here as well? 

Or are you saying that you can get an IDP from your home country, based on your expired license? 

If the first I don't believe you, if the second, while this may be true, you would just have a translation of on expired license, which would be illegal to drive on and you could not rent a car with. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

In the UK you can use a Thai license.

A lot of countries accept the full Thai DL now that is has English script.

However, the OP is a naturalized Thai with a Thai DL wanting to get a Thai IDP to get a rental car at a specific location in the US that appears to require an IDP.