Fit to drive a drivers car doctors and medical certificate and how long is it valid for.

jwest10

Yes, one needs to have this and do the DLT have standard form or can my local clinic produce one.
My license expires 22nd May 2022 and think one can have one dated one month before but can someone advise me, if different and I suppose it depends on which DLT office one uses and mine is Kanchanaburi.
Could go in but can not see anything but a good drive away but one still has to have an appointment for the colour and reflex test.
Thanks all

8 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

If you go to a local clinic or hospital and tell them you need a medical certificate for drivers license then they will produce a document that is acceptable by the DLT its normally around 200 baht at a clinic but more expensive at hospitals. You can normally apply early one month should be ok. I got my renewed license in Bangkok recently it was walk-in only where on first trip they checked my documents and then gave me an appointment to return 10 days later for the actual renewal. I did the video and questions online and the other tests such as reflex test at the 2nd visit. Best to call ahead to see what process they use locally to you as offices may differ in their approach.

thanks Bangkok Alan

2 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

If you go to a local clinic or hospital and tell them you need a medical certificate for drivers license then they will produce a document that is acceptable by the DLT its normally around 200 baht at a clinic but more expensive at hospitals. You can normally apply early one month should be ok. I got my renewed license in Bangkok recently it was walk-in only where on first trip they checked my documents and then gave me an appointment to return 10 days later for the actual renewal. I did the video and questions online and the other tests such as reflex test at the 2nd visit. Best to call ahead to see what process they use locally to you as offices may differ in their approach.

But of course, no actual medical tests are done.

Can you still drive with syphillis?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, alanrchase said:

When I did mine last year none of the local clinics had the newer version of the form but I found it on the internet. 

medical_certificate_2021.pdf 213.06 kB · 9 downloads

Thanks Alan and yeah surprise surprise the smart system has been down and been talking to a lady most of the afternoon and still not completed it.
It looks likely having to go to Kanchanaburi dlt in April cos we need it,

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

But of course, no actual medical tests are done.

Can you still drive with syphillis?

I was given a simple physical at the local doctors in Bang Tao (shortly after I emigrated to retire) a few years back. Paid 250 baht in and out in quickly and efficiently.

Doctor printed the form from his database, asked a few simple questions e.g. do you have a history of fit's, diabetes, heart problems, glaucoma, do you need your glasses to drive?

Checked online what I needed for A NEW THAI LICENSE, collected the papers.

Went to visit the offices and ask what exactly I needed before I actually attended to go successfully through the licensing process. Then returned a few days later to go though the process.

Went to Phuket Town DLT (mid week and very early before opening time as advised by expats at the golf club) I was the first in line and was completely processed in about 1 hour.

No video required, eye test, and reflex test and easy peasy.

It seems as with many things particular DVT offices have their own ways about this.

I was told by the dude who did my papers after my small tests that because I was a senior, obviously very fit n healthy, from Australia (age of driving experience, nationality of a country that produces well trained drivers is thought well of he said) and with a wide range of driver licensing classifications.

I was basically just given the two simple tests noted above, processed and issued with both car and bike license on the same day with no need to return some days later as others experienced.

As for the STD ... Up until the point the virus makes you insane, yes sure you can.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

I used a small local hospital, BP checked, weighed, temp check, given the form, all done before seeing the doctor, Doctor " how are you ?"  Me  " Ok'' she checked me with a stethoscope, signed the form 300 baht. IE still breathing with a heart beat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

do you need your glasses to drive?

No I don't but, i need them to do that stupid test with two small sticks in a box, as i do with reading as it is too near and nothing like long range sight. 

A few year ago, at a local clinic asked for medical cert for driving license, handed passport to girl on reception who disappeared through bank to see doctor, came back with passport & cert, 30 Baht and no exam of any kind, apart from well he's breathing (or he couldn't of asked for cert) and walking (or he wouldn't be in clinic).