Gastroscopy --- any recommended doctors/hospitals?

cocoonclub

I feel like I might need a gastroscopy. I'm having issues for several weeks now.

Any doctors or hospitals you can recommend?

I went to one hospital and it seemed the doctor suggested to do it under anesthesia which doctors in my home country would never do (unless with small kids or other special cases maybe).

19 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Bangkok Hospital Bkk, they do anesthesia as well, better than gagging all the through it. Forget the Dr name but a women, very good

Isn't anesthesia overkill and adds risk to an otherwise pretty harmless standard procedure? Several family members back home had a gastroscopy and they all just got a light sedative and something to numb the throat.

11 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Isn't anesthesia overkill and adds risk to an otherwise pretty harmless standard procedure? Several family members back home had a gastroscopy and they all just got a light sedative and something to numb the throat.

When they say "anesthesia" they just mean IV sedation, usually with propofol and this is also used in the West. They do not mean gas etc.

Risks are very small.

Personally I would not want to be awake for this.

I have had it done twice in Thailand under IV sedation (deep enough to feel nothing/remember nothing, but nto requiring an anesthetist or OR).

That said, if your problem is for a few weeks only it might be premature to do a gastroscopy - see what Dr. thinks. 

In my one time experience it provided the most refreshing wake up I can recall, really felt like I had a great sleep but was only a few minutes.  Believe there was an anesthetist controlling the IV but done in dedicated exam room.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

That's the one as recommended by your good self to me several years ago, 11.5 k but I expect that has gone up a fair bit

I paid 16,300 at Vejthani Hospital 2 years ago.