Florida's Don't Say Gay Bill Signed Into Law -- Demagogue's Delight

Jingthing

Florida Governor DeSantis, a serious contender for the presidency, has passed this horrible law. LGBT people scapegoated yet again for cynical right wing political gain. 

Started this topic for a general discussion of this law and it's wider national even international implications. Consider Putin, Orban, and other authoritarians have played the same kind of scapegoating game. 

Read this link to understand how chilling this law is. It's about much much more than what happens in very early school grades!

Florida ‘Don’t say gay bill’ signed by Gov. Ron Desantis | PBS NewsHour

This is just one example of a very active anti LGBT civil rights movement in the U.S.  With the makeup of the supreme court, even marriage equality is threatened and quite possibly could become a state's right thing. The dream of national non-discrimination legislation around housing and employment is basically dead. 

But there's always Randy Rainbow:

How is this law anti-LGBTQ?  So schools should teach Sex Education and Gender Identification starting in Kindergarten? I thought parents should decide that?  Also, this law specifically says "Don't Say Gay"? I am no fan of Ron Desantis but he is the governor and as always "elections have consequences".  Let's see what happens during the next Florida Governor Election in November 2022.  We shall see if this hateful law that Desantis signed will cost him the election?  I doubt it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ron Desantis but he is the governor and as always "elections have consequences". 

He won by a 0.4 % margin. Not exactly a "consensus".

I'm in favor of local school boards managing curricula, rather than the state or the federal government.

Seems like a side-show from the governor.

On the plus side, HB 1557 doesn't use the word "Gay". ????

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm in favor of local school boards managing curricula, rather than the state or the federal government.

do you believe the parents have a right to have an opinion in what is taught?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Huh????

I never said it will hurt him.

Anti-gay bigotry helps republican politicians.

READ THIS LINK and then you will understand the implications in all higher grades. Rules not defined. Threats of lawsuits that could bankrupt people. It's incredibly insidious. 

Florida ‘Don’t say gay bill’ signed by Gov. Ron Desantis | PBS NewsHour

To add, the DeSantis record of LGBT issues:

7 Times Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Attacked the LGBTQ+ Community (advocate.com)

I never said anything about "hurting" him.  So essentially DeSantis is anti-LGBTQ.  OK.  That's his positions and he is the governor.  So in November the voters in Florida should vote Desantis out?  "implications" on higher grades?  Such as Junior High or High School?  By that time kids do not need any kind of sex related education. 

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I never said he had a "consensus".  He won and the election is in November.  So the good people of Florida should vote him out of office then?  Problem solved and the new governor then should repeal this awful law?  An elected official doe not need a  consensus.  He or she just needs to win and can govern how they want to(or whatever their donors tell him or her to do).  "American Politics", just follow the money. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I never said anything about "hurting" him.  So essentially DeSantis is anti-LGBTQ.  OK.  That's his positions and he is the governor.  So in November the voters in Florida should vote Desantis out?  "implications" on higher grades?  Such as Junior High or High School?  By that time kids do not need any kind of sex related education. 

This explains it:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

People who are OK with teaching a 5 yr old about sex and gender identity are idiots. What sane person could possibly think this is good. It's beyond crazy that this even is an issue. 

What percentage of 5 yr olds identify as being gay?

The legislation reads: “Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.”

All grades.

What state standards?

Parents any grade may file lawsuits.

So teachers will be forced to erase the existence of LGBT people.

May as well call the bill the promote LGBT SUICIDE bill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

How is this law anti-LGBTQ?  So schools should teach Sex Education and Gender Identification starting in Kindergarten? I thought parents should decide that?  Also, this law specifically says "Don't Say Gay"? I am no fan of Ron Desantis but he is the governor and as always "elections have consequences".  Let's see what happens during the next Florida Governor Election in November 2022.  We shall see if this hateful law that Desantis signed will cost him the election?  I doubt it.  

6 hours ago, impulse said:

The Brits have a word for teaching sex-ed and trans gender studies to kids from K-3rd grade. 

They call it grooming. 

So while the lefties call this the "Don't say gay" bill, it's more accurately described as the "Anti grooming" bill.

which Kindergarten's are teaching any kind of sex ed?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

People who are OK with teaching a 5 yr old about sex and gender identity are idiots. What sane person could possibly think this is good. It's beyond crazy that this even is an issue. 

What percentage of 5 yr olds identify as being gay?

did you watch it? Doocy couldn't name any kindergartens teaching sex ed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Would any of you as a parent want the teacher telling your 6 yr old about sex and gender identity? T

"Do you have any examples of schools (in Florida) that are teaching kindergartners about sex education?"

White House spokesperson Jen Psaki to fox's peter dooky.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course not, what did I say that you should infer such a thing?

I'd like to think an elected official would govern in the best interests of ALL citizens. Obviously this is a bridge too far in desantis's case.

These divisive hot-button issues, which are pretty much non-issues really have but one single purpose. To energize the base. 

"He won by a 0.4 % margin. Not exactly a "consensus"."

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

??? Peter Ducey is not the governor of Florida.  So a 5 year knows for certain he or she is gay or transgender?

You refuse to process points repeated multiple times about how this is about ALL grades. I'm not interested in engaging with blatantly disingenuous master debaters. Adios 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You refuse to process points repeated multiple times about how this is about ALL grades. I'm not interested in engaging with blatantly disingenuous master debaters. Adios 

OK.  I have never been called a "Disingenuous Master Debaters".  I have been called far worse.  

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What a silly question. 

Maybe you are not from the U.S. so deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Yes, of course, obviously. School boards are made up of representatives of parents.

Parents have a lot of influence.

I support that, wholeheartedly, vs. some clown governor telling everyone what to do. Or state reps from Bumbletown in the panhandle telling parents in Orlando what can and can't be taught.

Pete Doocy, what an appropriately named load. Pete v. Jen is hardly a fair fight. Jen plays chess, Pete eats crayons.

Would a sane adult want their own 5 yr old child to be exposed to gender identity and sexual orientation training in school? It's a yes or no question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1