Florida's Don't Say Gay Bill Signed Into Law -- Demagogue's Delight

Jingthing

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

People who are OK with teaching a 5 yr old about sex and gender identity are idiots. What sane person could possibly think this is good. It's beyond crazy that this even is an issue. 

What percentage of 5 yr olds identify as being gay?

But this bill says it's fine to teach kids about sex and gender so long as you don't say anything about gay people. 

Either teach them nothing or everything.  

Don't pick and choose.   That is why people are annoyed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

Its a loaded question and that's the point for the hateful right wing demagogues pushing such unnecessary laws.

Suppose a young child draws a picture of his family but his family is different than heteronormative.

The teacher would be forced under law to destroy the drawing and not allowed to even mention what happened.

Such a child would be traumatized and taught to be feel deep shame about his own loving family. 

Talk about child abuse? That is extreme psychological child abuse much more damaging over time than physical abuse.

If the teacher decided to react in a compassionate and humane way any other parent could file financially ruinous lawsuits.

The scenario you presented about the picture being destroyed I think is not true. At least I hope so. A teacher should be able to handle the situation differently. It's too bad that common sense no longer prevails. 

All I know is that I sent my oldest to a private school in the US 1-8 grade. I did so for hopes of superior education. Today I would for sure send my child to a private school for a better education but also to avoid teachers who insist on bringing their personal lives into the classroom. A teacher should leave their personal beliefs at home and concentrate on teaching the young. My kid doesn't need to know how many kids a teacher has, are they married, are they gay, none of that matters. 

34 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But this bill says it's fine to teach kids about sex and gender so long as you don't say anything about gay people. 

Either teach them nothing or everything.  

Don't pick and choose.   That is why people are annoyed. 

I'm done, you guys have at it. All I know I would never send my kid to a public school in the USA. Not with this <deleted> going on.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The scenario you presented about the picture being destroyed I think is not true. At least I hope so. A teacher should be able to handle the situation differently. It's too bad that common sense no longer prevails. 

All I know is that I sent my oldest to a private school in the US 1-8 grade. I did so for hopes of superior education. Today I would for sure send my child to a private school for a better education but also to avoid teachers who insist on bringing their personal lives into the classroom. A teacher should leave their personal beliefs at home and concentrate on teaching the young. My kid doesn't need to know how many kids a teacher has, are they married, are they gay, none of that matters. 

It is true.

This bill doesn't allow common sense.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bojo said:

open arms in New york..................................worlds apart...................................

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/04/dont-say-gay-florida-new-york-eric-adams

That's nice but its disturbing that a man with a big chance of being president DeSantis is building his career by oppressing LGBT youth and turning the job of teacher in Florida into more of a hellscape than it already is.

This is all about exciting his base. Good politics for him but horrible policy.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's nice but its disturbing that a man with a big chance of being president DeSantis is building his career by oppressing LGBT youth and turning the job of teacher in Florida into more of a hellscape than it already is.

This is all about exciting his base. Good politics for him but horrible policy.

So, that's what it's become in America?................................ Divisiveness gets one elected..?.............................

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm done, you guys have at it. All I know I would never send my kid to a public school in the USA. Not with this <deleted> going on.

I would never allow my kids to even visit America for a holiday, let alone go to school there. Lol

DeSantis signs legislation dubbed by opponents 'Don't Say Gay' (heraldtribune.com)

Again, the issue is about ALL GRADES.

Parents are free to bring lawsuits against schools for any speech they don't like, because "... in accordance with state standards ..." is NOT DEFINED and the state of Florida has no intension of defining them.

Then schools must spend money they don't have to defend these cases.

The result -- basically don't say gay. Just ERASE all the LGBT students, teachers, people in the rest of the community, and from all history.

Teachers will be forced to self censor in the extreme.

The USA promotes itself as a free country. This policy is the exact OPPOSITE of freedom and liberty.

Many good teachers will obviously just resign from the profession, perhaps leaving too many that support this kind of ignorant far right wing intolerance. 

This is what you would expect in an authoritarian country like Russia.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Of course I won't be responding to extremist anti LGBT flame rants on a gay forum. Experience has shown there is no hope of rational discussion with such people. Similar waste of time situation as trying to talk to pro insurrectionist trumpists.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Now that anti LGBT demagogue DeSantis has attacked "sacred" in Florida Disney, is there hope that will backfire?

Don't mess with Disney!

https://www.newsweek.com/disney-ron-desantis-vote-florida-1695981

Could Disney Workers Help Vote Ron DeSantis Out of Florida?

Amid his ongoing feud with Disney over its opposition to the controversial "don't say gay" bill, there has been speculation Florida Governor Ron DeSantis may have picked a fight too big even for the political firebrand.

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course I won't be responding to extremist anti LGBT flame rants on a gay forum. Experience has shown there is no hope of rational discussion with such people. Similar situation to trying to talk to a pro insurrectionist trumpist.

So, someone who doesn't share your views are extremists. If you're a teacher and you're gay, leave your personal life at home. As stated above being gay doesn't make you special.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 10:34 PM, ozimoron said:

Been that way since 2016.

Much longer than that but now the US has devolved into a cold civil war situation where the future of any kind of democracy is under real and direct threat.

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, someone who doesn't share your views are extremists. If you're a teacher and you're gay, leave your personal life at home. As stated above being gay doesn't make you special.

Dude you haven't even bothered to process the actual chilling anti intellectual freedom impact of this bill on ALL grades so you're obviously not posting in good faith.

For one of millions of examples in ANY grade in a music class if the subject of the homosexuality of Tchaikovsky comes up the teacher must aggressively shut it down or risk being sued by a moron bigoted  parent. The LGBT kids will be made invisible and made to feel something is wrong with them  increasing already high LGBT youth suicide rates.

Imagine if this same bill was about Jews not LGBT. Then at least some of the anti LGBT bigots might understand how horrible this bill is.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

different yes.....

On 4/8/2022 at 12:33 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Intellectual freedom................... These are K-3rd graders. The gay teachers and woke schools brought this upon themselves. They took things too far and so yes there are consequences.

Ignoring the fact that the bill includes ALL grades.