Getting married, so much hassle.

poppysdad

Yes, my lady has spoken at length with whoever deals with this in her home province and they assured her that it can be done over a period of time at her own speed.
But isn’t it a strange requirement to have to do and must surely effect every Thai lady that gets married if they have assets.  

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

caveat emptor.......my missus did the same, changed her name because her mum said it was lucky but it was all a lie, she was trying to avoid any prosecution for past financial misdeeds.  Once I found out she was being dishonest with me as well she did a runner.  A leopard can change its name but it never changes its spots

Wow, good point you raised. 

This is a big problem in Thailand, alot of foreigners (most) do not know the laws regarding marriage in Thailand. 

To all you newly weds, once you marry a Thai you become responsible for any debt. 

Anyone out there can add to this issue? 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

To all you newly weds, once you marry a Thai you become responsible for any debt. 

Mmm - so you're responsible for all her debts she accrued prior to marriage -  however -  everything she owned prior to marriage is hers only.

Is that true ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Jts-Khorat 

where on earth do you get all your ideas from that I’m annoyed in any form whatsoever. I did find out what was needed  with a lot of it coming from helpful people on thaivisa. What I was not aware of until we got to Bangkok was that she had laminated her certificate hence the ensuing problems. I’ve done a lot of searching on websites to solve it from many angles and follow what I read which isn’t always correct. 
As for her needing to revert to her maiden name, she wasn’t aware of that, neither were around a dozen of my friends some with Thai partners aware of it either, so stop trying to read between the lines and make up your own version of peoples problems. I take these things in my stride and where you think it’s all too much for me, well it’s a good job for you that I don’t know you.

This whole "not accepting laminated copies" business is ridiculous. Laminating is a sensible approach to not having a document rot away in a tropical climate. The UK is the same, do these stupid burocrats think that forging a document then laminating it is in any way easier than forging a document and not laminating it? F***ing morons...

7 hours ago, poppysdad said:

thinking about marrying my Thai lady. Firstly because she laminated her Aussie husbands death certificate the MFA don’t want to know,

First thought that crossed my mind is she killed her first husband and now has you hook line and sinker ready to be her second victim....I mean husband.  LOL  555  ???? 

Yes I am an old bitter divorced cynic

Didn't read too far obviously

All the best to you if you really need that contract/license/certificate of Marriage to be happy

• Like 1

Live with her for a year or two if after that time things are good then get married my last GF lasted three months before I kicked her out it all went belly up when I started to get all these packages arriving and I had to pay because she was to idle to get a job all she did was watch stupid movies on her phone don’t get me wrong the first few weeks were wonderful but once they get there feet under the table that’s a different story you can always get the monks to give you a blessing by doing that you can walk away at any time no strings attached 

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Don't worry. Divorce should be much easier.

Well it's not .... for the Thai any how...if the falang husband Don't want to get one as he maybe lose Money..or he just can't be found . Embassy are not much help to find him.. so round and round in circles .and get no where.the Thai cant say buy a house, with out the falang signing paper's..

28 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Well it's not .... for the Thai any how...if the falang husband Don't want to get one as he maybe lose Money..or he just can't be found . Embassy are not much help to find him.. so round and round in circles .and get no where.the Thai cant say buy a house, with out the falang signing paper's..

Met a couple of guys recently that were at the end of their marriages. They simply refuse to divorce knowing that:

1) It's going to be costly

2) Lot's of hassle

3) They learned their lesson and will never marry again

• Like 1

No help to the OP, but did see some advice many years ago that changing your name in Thailand can cause many issues, easiest thing is for your wife to retain her original name when you get married, then no problem with all those documents in another name.... that's what i told the wife, keep your name, that isn't an issue on a Thai marriage certificate.

My wife was happy to just have the village wedding, but when they introduced financial qualifications on the Non-O multi-entry I needed it to do extensions; also it does mean that she will get some pension from my former employers when i die. The current monthly transfers to your Thai bank account are also an issue as i tend to spend a few months in the UK most years; the marriage 400,000 baht rules on extensions are more flexible - I could put 800,000 in and do retirement but i prefer to get a decent investment return on the 400,000 i don't need!

34 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

She can change her name in 15 min, their ID number stays the same, once you are married she could change her name back again. :coffee1:

Haven't read all comments coz the solution is simple as above, but are you under 50 ?

When we married, we did it abroad and then when we came here we did a village wedding and registered it at the Amphur, on both occasions the wife has kept her surname upon my advice, so much easier, nothing needed changing, after all, why should she have to change her surname to match mine.

Maybe to charge $'s and create a lot of problems, sure as hell one way to beat the system is to get them to retain their surnames, genius.

20 hours ago, poppysdad said:

We went to our local Tessaban who then threw another spanner in the works by stating that to get remarried she has to revert to her maiden name in the province where she was born.

I don't understand this, it sounds like she hasn't registered in the 'Tesssaban'  where you live, as its normally no problem for Thais to change their name, it's normally a simple quick process, as stated they keep the same ID number costs about 20 baht. There is no need to mention about getting married again.

I was out doing some shopping with a mate of mine, he gets a phone call from his wife, turns to me and says " I have a new wife''   ''What !''  ''she has just changed her name'' true story.

Edited by brianthainess

I started this process when my ex-gf wanted to get married.  Luckily I had all the originals of my birth, marriage and divorce documents with me in Thailand.  Easily received the free for marriage document from the Australian Embassy.  Then the problems started.  Gf arranged to get the Australian Embassy document translated into Thai.  Went to the Thai MFA in Bangkok; had appointment and interview.  "Come back in 2 days."  We did - only to be told that ther Thai translation was not correct - get another translation.   Did that - same problem, translation not correct, do it again.  Asked the official to recommend an accurate translation service - "No, I cannot do that."  I went to see a Thai friend in Bangkok; he had spend about 10 years in Australia, studying at high school and university.  According to him, both translations in Thai were accurate translations of the original Australian Embassy document.  End of story, no marriage.

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Question is ... Why get married ?

Divorce rates prove, most, OK, half regret that decision.

I personally don't know anyone, who regretted, NOT getting married ????

DISCLAIMER:  Any marital or relationship advice I give, should possibly be ignored, since I'm on #4.

Good point if they are living here......I only got married because all visa routes to bring my then gf over to germany were closed. My only option was to marry.........I really didn't see it as a marriage just a loophole........that was 16 years ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good point if they are living here......I only got married because all visa routes to bring my then gf over to germany were closed. My only option was to marry.........I really didn't see it as a marriage just a loophole........that was 16 years ago.

Same option was offered to me & GF before getting married, 1st Thai wife.   Turned down for tourist visa (USA), since no major assets here, but then told to go across the street, and apply for fiancee visa, and should be not prob ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Responsible how? No way I'm helping to pay her debts. She's got 7 more years left of her company garnishing her monthly wages.

• Like 1

I had pretty much the same problem when I wanted to divorce my Thai wife.

After months of discussion and threaten her with a divorce by the Courth, she agreed to divorce at the "Thatsabaan".
When we finally arrived at the Thetsabaan, the Mair could not handle the divorce because my ex-wife still had her maiden name in her ID-Card.
She needed to change her maiden name on all the documents (birth certificate of the child, etc.) before a divorce could be processed.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

When we finally arrived at the Thetsabaan, the Mair could not handle the divorce because my ex-wife still had her maiden name in her ID-Card.

They made her change her her documents to your last night in order to process the divorce??? That doesn't make any sense what one has to do with the other.

This is what is happening to me, she has been using her deceased husbands surname in the past 5 years since he died but to remarry she has to revert to her fathers name first, ( why), in her province of birth in person which entails us in a near 900km round trip to do something which apparently is quick and simple. And before the usual crowd jump on me I am perfectly happy to do so even though it’s a bind, but we make the trip a few times a year to check on her farm anyway but wasn’t planning one quite so soon as only there just a few weeks ago. 

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

They made her change her her documents to your last night in order to process the divorce??? That doesn't make any sense what one has to do with the other.

According to her I'd card, my wife was not married.

You can not divorce if you are not married.

7 hours ago, poppysdad said:

This is what is happening to me, she has been using her deceased husbands surname in the past 5 years since he died but to remarry she has to revert to her fathers name first, ( why), in her province of birth in person which entails us in a near 900km round trip to do something which apparently is quick and simple. And before the usual crowd jump on me I am perfectly happy to do so even though it’s a bind, but we make the trip a few times a year to check on her farm anyway but wasn’t planning one quite so soon as only there just a few weeks ago. 

Thailand is still at the Stone Age in such matters.

For the extension of a marriage visa, a proof of marriage is required every year (Korat immigration).

This proof of marriage can ONLY be provided by the Ampur where the marriage was done.

I needed a few years ago a birth certificate for my child and was sent to Chaiyaphum to collect this certificate.

Korat was not able to do it.

This is Thailand.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, Confuscious said:

Thailand is still at the Stone Age in such matters.

For the extension of a marriage visa, a proof of marriage is required every year (Korat immigration).

This proof of marriage can ONLY be provided by the Ampur where the marriage was done.

I needed a few years ago a birth certificate for my child and was sent to Chaiyaphum to collect this certificate.

Korat was not able to do it.

This is Thailand.

Sure, Thailand is still quaint in many things.

But did we not come to Thailand in the first place because it is a little bit more laid-back than the West? Nobody here has to hurry if he does not want to and I enjoy that incredibly.

Having weird bureaucratic hassles is the flip-side of it -- but I rather would want to live in this Thailand than an exact copy of Germany, down to the Schnitzel restaurants and things being 'on time'.